loyola patent law fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: loyola patent law fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Chill folks, it's still really early. I got my last callback from a Loyola interview in mid-October. Most firms are just starting to gear up for recruiting, and many will not extend callbacks until they start campus OCIs. I got most of my Loyola callbacks (13) the first two weeks in September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:11 pm

I have gotten callbacks from 9 of the 18 firms I interviewed with (I had 25 preselects, but I [stupidly] canceled a bunch). I was rejected from a few firms (including MoFo, which was one of my top choices). I don't think I'm going to do all the callbacks from Loyola since I also have my school's OCI coming up. I've scheduled 3 of the callbacks so far (all Vault 25 firms), and I'll definitely do a fourth (Jones Day). After seeing the firing at Brinks, I think the Vault 25 is the safest place to be, even for patent lawyers. Anyone have different thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have gotten callbacks from 9 of the 18 firms I interviewed with (I had 25 preselects, but I [stupidly] canceled a bunch). I was rejected from a few firms (including MoFo, which was one of my top choices). I don't think I'm going to do all the callbacks from Loyola since I also have my school's OCI coming up. I've scheduled 3 of the callbacks so far (all Vault 25 firms), and I'll definitely do a fourth (Jones Day). After seeing the firing at Brinks, I think the Vault 25 is the safest place to be, even for patent lawyers. Anyone have different thoughts?

Yes, I do. And here they are, in no particular order:

1. Jones Day gave me goosebumps, in a bad way. I cannot really put my finger on exactly what it is, but every interaction I have had with lawyers there, something seems... wrong. Off. Hopefully it works out for you, but I am steering clear of that firm (I trust my gut).

2. I am not sure how smart it is to give up callback interviews in favor of a few more screening interviews. The callbacks are far more likely to result in an offer than a screening interview, even if your school is entirely a prescreened system and you have 10 interviews a day. Plus, you schedule the call backs. Just don't schedule them during the first round of OCI, or any day that a firm you know you want to interview is coming. Problem solved. But it is your choice of course.

3. I don't agree with your Vault 25 reasoning w/re to the Brinks firings. Latham fired a bunch of people too (hell, they are a verb now because of it), as did Kirkland, Ropes & Gray, and White and Case to name a few. All Vault 25. While you might have other valid reasons for thinking the Vault 25 firms are a better fit for you, I don't think the Brinks firings prove anything other than that the IP boutiques are not magic refuges. Which Fish already proved actually, and also I think has proven that they can bounce back just like the other firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 pm

Fitzpatrick ding today by snail

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 pm

atham fired a bunch of people too (hell, they are a verb now because of it), as did Kirkland, Ropes & Gray, and White and Case to name a few.

Kirkland had more aggressive performance reviews. The lay-offs were not nearly as extensive as at places like White & Case and Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
atham fired a bunch of people too (hell, they are a verb now because of it), as did Kirkland, Ropes & Gray, and White and Case to name a few.

Kirkland had more aggressive performance reviews. The lay-offs were not nearly as extensive as at places like White & Case and Latham.

I know. I was just pulling names out of the air as examples. Point is, firings at a IP Boutique should not make up anyone's mind either way, just like firings at a Vault 25 should not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Chill folks, it's still really early. I got my last callback from a Loyola interview in mid-October. Most firms are just starting to gear up for recruiting, and many will not extend callbacks until they start campus OCIs. I got most of my Loyola callbacks (13) the first two weeks in September.

to be fair, this was far more likely in the era of the 45-day offer. a firm that waits that long now for their first round isn't getting who they want, since they know they're competing with the other PLIP firms as well as all the OCIs last week, this week, and next.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:57 am

another ding from K&E (SF)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:31 pm

Update:

16 screening interviews,
4 dings (Goodwin Procter, Townsend, Knobbe, Paul Weiss)
3 callbacks (Winston, Kirkland, Alston & Bird)

Crickets from the other 9 places...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Blakely Sokoloff ding via snail mail came today.
Knobbe SD CBs going out today.

So far:

22 screening interviews
6 dings
6 CBs (gone on 4 of them so far, haven't heard from 3, 1 ding)
0 offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:04 pm

anybody heard from
alston & bird,
banner & witcoff,
fitzpatrick,
covington,
pillsbury, and
marshall?

if I haven't heard from them until today, is it reasonable to assume that I'm dinged?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody heard from
alston & bird,
banner & witcoff,
fitzpatrick,
covington,
pillsbury, and
marshall?

if I haven't heard from them until today, is it reasonable to assume that I'm dinged?

I haven't heard from any of those firms yet. From what I gather, the likelihood that you'll receive a CB drops dramatically for most firms after the first couple of days following your screening interview. Granted this is not true for all firms and there's still a chance you'll get a CB from the firm's "hold" list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04 pm

alston & bird,
banner & witcoff,
fitzpatrick,
covington,
pillsbury, and
marshall?

Already got callbacks from Fitzpatrick and Banner & Witcoff. Didn't interview with any of the others at PLIP, so I cannot speak to them.

I don't think that means it is safe to assume you are dinged. As the previous poster indicated, it is likely indicative at this point that you are on their wait or hold list. So you might get a call once they have completed their screening interviews, or after a good amount of students go through the callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Still waiting on 3 out of 5:
1 ding, 1 CB
Anyone hear anything from Paul Hastings or Frommer Lawrence?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still waiting on 3 out of 5:
1 ding, 1 CB

I know someone who has already received a call back from Frommer, and a bunch of people have reported back from Paul Hastings. They are dinging by mail, so check your mailbox.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1 ding, 1 CB

I know someone who has already received a call back from Frommer, and a bunch of people have reported back from Paul Hastings. They are dinging by mail, so check your mailbox.

there is one Paul Hastings report in this entire thread, a single snail mail ding almost a week ago that no one else has corroborated. i think people continue to confuse Paul Hastings and Paul, Weiss (of which there are many mentions here)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:38 pm

alston & bird,
banner & witcoff,
fitzpatrick,
covington,
pillsbury, and
marshall?

I got a ding from Fitzpatrick Monday, and others have reported CBs, so maybe you're on hold. That being said, I said I preferred one of the non-NY offices. Maybe NY isn't sure yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1 ding, 1 CB

there is one Paul Hastings report in this entire thread, a single snail mail ding almost a week ago that no one else has corroborated. i think people continue to confuse Paul Hastings and Paul, Weiss (of which there are many mentions here)

I have also heard nothing from Paul Hastings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:37 am

EE @ Boalt here

15 callbacks so far, 7 v25, rest v100 (DC, Cali even spread), pretty shocked/happy as the results, given that I haven't even done Boalt's on-campus recruiting yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Anybody have any offers yet? I got dinged after a CB, but still no offers. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:39 pm

How did you feel about how well / poorly the callback went prior to getting dinged?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How did you feel about how well / poorly the callback went prior to getting dinged?

I felt like it went well with all interviewers except one partner. He pressed me pretty hard about committing to live in the area where the firm was located (the firm only has one office). Unfortunately, I have ZERO ties to the particular area and I'm almost certain he saw me as a flight risk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:39 am

Has anyone tried emailing or calling firms they haven't heard back from yet? Is it still too early to do this? I still haven't heard back from 10 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone tried emailing or calling firms they haven't heard back from yet? Is it still too early to do this? I still haven't heard back from 10 firms.

Wondering the same thing.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone tried emailing or calling firms they haven't heard back from yet? Is it still too early to do this? I still haven't heard back from 10 firms.

Wondering the same thing.

Too early I would think. A number of them might be waiting to rule on you until after they see some school's OCI crop. Give it until September at least.

Return to “Legal Employment”