Northwestern OCI Lottery Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chadwick218

Re: Northwestern OCI Lottery Results

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:15 pm

redacted

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 pm

17 ... I got 9 out of my top 10 and 12 out of my top 15. I focused exclusively on Texas and NYC firms with 1 specialty DC firm and 1 specialty Chicago firm. I landed Ivins, a tax boutique, in DC with my 41st bid.

The most I have heard anyone getting is 23. The bidder targeted Chicago and regional markets including Colorado, Ohio, Minnesota, and Iowa.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:14. I was almost 100% Chicago market. (11 in Chicago, 3 in other markets.)

Bid Baker and McKenzie 6th and didn't get it. I guess that was a hot item. It seems anything that last year had a median call back of 3.4-3.6 was in huge demand. I did get Wildman, despite bidding on it 25--I guess people are still pissed about all of the offer rescinding.

The one that really surprised me was Sidley. 80 spots and I didn't get it bidding it 8th? There aren't 80 people at NU who even have a remote shot at Sidley ITE.

I bid Baker #4 (with aspirations for Dallas) with no go ... if you check out there site, it seems nearly impossible to get an interview if not on campus.

I also question the accuracy of the # of interview slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 pm

16, all NY. Got 1-10, 12, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:14. I was almost 100% Chicago market. (11 in Chicago, 3 in other markets.)

Bid Baker and McKenzie 6th and didn't get it. I guess that was a hot item. It seems anything that last year had a median call back of 3.4-3.6 was in huge demand. I did get Wildman, despite bidding on it 25--I guess people are still pissed about all of the offer rescinding.

The one that really surprised me was Sidley. 80 spots and I didn't get it bidding it 8th? There aren't 80 people at NU who even have a remote shot at Sidley ITE.

I bid Baker #4 (with aspirations for Dallas) with no go ... if you check out there site, it seems nearly impossible to get an interview if not on campus.

I also question the accuracy of the # of interview slots.

I bid them #4 as well and got them. 4 must've been the cut-off if you didn't get them and bid them #4. I wonder how they decide which people that bid them #4 got them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Dang, are that many people wanting to go to Texas, or do we think it was the combination of all offices drawing bids?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dang, are that many people wanting to go to Texas, or do we think it was the combination of all offices drawing bids?

I think that Baker & McKenzie (not to be confused with Baker Botts) only had 20 interview slots for Chicago, Dallas, Houston, NYC, SF, and DC combined. As a previous poster mentioned, the 3.40 - 3.60 median callback likely drew a large contingency of bidders.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dang, are that many people wanting to go to Texas, or do we think it was the combination of all offices drawing bids?

I think that Baker & McKenzie (not to be confused with Baker Botts) only had 20 interview slots for Chicago, Dallas, Houston, NYC, SF, and DC combined. As a previous poster mentioned, the 3.40 - 3.60 median callback likely drew a large contingency of bidders.

I'm the one that bid Baker 4th and got them... I was talking about McKenzie (although I got Botts as well). I am interested in McKenzie for Chicago and Botts for TX.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the one that bid Baker 4th and got them... I was talking about McKenzie (although I got Botts as well). I am interested in McKenzie for Chicago and Botts for TX.

Ties to Texas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I bid them #4 as well and got them. 4 must've been the cut-off if you didn't get them and bid them #4. I wonder how they decide which people that bid them #4 got them?

I'd love to know as well. Although if you ask Chamberlain or Diamond, they'll just blow some smoke up your ass ...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ties to Texas?

Nothing strong at all. I'll test the theory that TX is the most insulated market. I've been there for work a lot, have a number of friends in both Houston and Dallas and know someone that has a strong relation to the firm. I feel that I can express a genuine interest without it coming off as BS, since it will be genuine.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:54 pm

enygma

Postby enygma » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:16 pm

Corsair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I bid them #4 as well and got them. 4 must've been the cut-off if you didn't get them and bid them #4. I wonder how they decide which people that bid them #4 got them?

I'd love to know as well. Although if you ask Chamberlain or Diamond, they'll just blow some smoke up your ass ...

It is random. Hence the point of a lottery.

it's not totally random. it also takes into account how many of your previous bids you've gotten. let's say 10 people bid sidley #4, and only 5 of them can get it. let's say 5 of those people have gotten their first three bids and the other 5 have only gotten one. the latter group is probably going to get it. now, that's the vague explanation i got from a few sources in the career center who didn't know the exact weighting system. but generally if there's a bunch of people who have something bid the same, they'll get it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:06 pm

The email sent out from career services notifying us of bid selections on Friday provides that the 33 percentile was 12 interviews, while the 66 percentile was 17 interviews.

Chuch

Postby Chuch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:18 pm

dont go to nw, but sidley drying up after bid 4 is crazy. did kirkland/mayer/latham have similar fates or was there just sidley mania this year? maybe the obama connection?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The email sent out from career services notifying us of bid selections on Friday provides that the 33 percentile was 12 interviews, while the 66 percentile was 17 interviews.

Math fail.

The 25-50-75 interquartile ranges were: 12-14-17.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:49 pm

I won't be going to NU either, just curious what the competition is like for Los Angeles offices? Anyone who bid on CA feel free to comment on their strategy.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:02 pm

existenz wrote:I won't be going to NU either, just curious what the competition is like for Los Angeles offices? Anyone who bid on CA feel free to comment on their strategy.

:?:

Shouldn't you be asking for bidding advice from those attending the school you're actually attending? There are multiple variables which can change OCI bidding strategy based upon one's individual school (ie # of slots, pre-select v. lottery, geographic preference of students etc).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:00 pm

12 interviews. 9 in Chicago, 2 in SF, 1 in DC. Pretty happy... got all my top 10 except for 6 (Sonnenschein) and 9 (Cooley Goddard). Got Orrick even though I bid it #22.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:12 interviews. 9 in Chicago, 2 in SF, 1 in DC. Pretty happy... got all my top 10 except for 6 (Sonnenschein) and 9 (Cooley Goddard). Got Orrick even though I bid it #22.

That's weird... I had Sonnenschein outside of my top 10 and got them. I wonder if they saved a certain number of spots for those that wanted cities other than Chicago?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Northwestern Career Center ... New Faces ... Same Results?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Northwestern Career Center ... New Faces ... Same Results?

Hopefully. Same Career Center that gave us actual data from last year to bid with instead of the crap other CSOs pulled.

Never Forget: U Mich CSO averaged GPA data from last year in with 2000-2008. Epic Lolz.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Could that be anymore unhelpful? Also, to the above commenter, I think that sometimes if you have a scheduling conflict with the remaining slots for a firm you don't get them. So maybe my other interviews conflicted... I'm not sure...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:47 pm

rayiner wrote:

Hopefully. Same Career Center that gave us actual data from last year to bid with instead of the crap other CSOs pulled.

Never Forget: U Mich CSO averaged GPA data from last year in with 2000-2008. Epic Lolz.

It was indeed funny, but if you had the chart from the prior year, you could do some easy math to figure out the mean/median offer GPAs for the next year.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

It was indeed funny, but if you had the chart from the prior year, you could do some easy math to figure out the mean/median offer GPAs for the next year.

You can't derive either the median or the mean that way, because you have no idea how many callbacks happened in each year.

Return to “Legal Employment”