Tiny Ray of Hope

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Sell Manilla
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby Sell Manilla » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:49 pm

BB? What is this madness?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Today is a good day.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:36 pm

As exciting as this thread is, let's also temper our excitement by keeping in mind the possibility of a double-dip recession, the still-atrocious national unemployment numbers, troubling financial situations around the globe, and the lingering economic doubts (both consumers and companies). Although I'd like to hope we turn a corner and bounce back to a "new normal," it is hard to predict long term. This could just end up being a short term fix to the heavy workload and strained

The rising 2Ls on here could be staring down no-offers a year from now and the rising 1Ls could be staring down an OCI bloodbath.

With that said, it is still the best legal employment news we've had in years.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby miamiman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:As exciting as this thread is, let's also temper our excitement by keeping in mind the possibility of a double-dip recession, the still-atrocious national unemployment numbers, troubling financial situations around the globe, and the lingering economic doubts (both consumers and companies). Although I'd like to hope we turn a corner and bounce back to a "new normal," it is hard to predict long term. This could just end up being a short term fix to the heavy workload and strained

The rising 2Ls on here could be staring down no-offers a year from now and the rising 1Ls could be staring down an OCI bloodbath.

With that said, it is still the best legal employment news we've had in years.


stab us in the heart why don't you.

User avatar
Warhawk
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby Warhawk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:As exciting as this thread is, let's also temper our excitement by keeping in mind the possibility of a double-dip recession, the still-atrocious national unemployment numbers, troubling financial situations around the globe, and the lingering economic doubts (both consumers and companies). Although I'd like to hope we turn a corner and bounce back to a "new normal," it is hard to predict long term. This could just end up being a short term fix to the heavy workload and strained

The rising 2Ls on here could be staring down no-offers a year from now and the rising 1Ls could be staring down an OCI bloodbath.

With that said, it is still the best legal employment news we've had in years.


Jeez, who pissed in your cheerios this morning? :wink:

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby skoobily doobily » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:As exciting as this thread is, let's also temper our excitement by keeping in mind the possibility of a double-dip recession, the still-atrocious national unemployment numbers, troubling financial situations around the globe, and the lingering economic doubts (both consumers and companies). Although I'd like to hope we turn a corner and bounce back to a "new normal," it is hard to predict long term. This could just end up being a short term fix to the heavy workload and strained

The rising 2Ls on here could be staring down no-offers a year from now and the rising 1Ls could be staring down an OCI bloodbath.

With that said, it is still the best legal employment news we've had in years.


Without any tangible evidence for why our economy would dip down even further into a recession, I refuse your pessimistic speculation and will rejoice with blind optimism at the posting of this article. NY to 190, ATL to 240!

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby miamiman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:45 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
romothesavior wrote:As exciting as this thread is, let's also temper our excitement by keeping in mind the possibility of a double-dip recession, the still-atrocious national unemployment numbers, troubling financial situations around the globe, and the lingering economic doubts (both consumers and companies). Although I'd like to hope we turn a corner and bounce back to a "new normal," it is hard to predict long term. This could just end up being a short term fix to the heavy workload and strained

The rising 2Ls on here could be staring down no-offers a year from now and the rising 1Ls could be staring down an OCI bloodbath.

With that said, it is still the best legal employment news we've had in years.


Without any tangible evidence for why our economy would dip down even further into a recession, I refuse your pessimistic speculation and will rejoice with blind optimism at the posting of this article. NY to 190, ATL to 240!


to be fair, the housing market has been predicting one for awhile and the recent dip in confidence does not bode well. and then, of course, there's this:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/inves ... /19568906/

edit: all of that said, the equities market is not predicting one. neither is most of the smart money on wall street

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Sorry to be a pessimistic MM on all of you. :D I don't deny that this is fabulous news, especially for rising 2Ls and hopefully for us rising 1Ls. It is far better than the opposite!

I know TLS is all about rampant speculation, wild predictions, and huge swings of attitude. I just want to remind everyone that a few weeks ago, we were talking about things like this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=122253.

So no, nobody pissed in my Cheerios this morning (I dont even really like Cheerios... Honey Bunches of Oats FTW), I just want to keep everyone grounded and realistic.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:As exciting as this thread is, let's also temper our excitement by keeping in mind the possibility of a double-dip recession, the still-atrocious national unemployment numbers, troubling financial situations around the globe, and the lingering economic doubts (both consumers and companies). Although I'd like to hope we turn a corner and bounce back to a "new normal," it is hard to predict long term. This could just end up being a short term fix to the heavy workload and strained

The rising 2Ls on here could be staring down no-offers a year from now and the rising 1Ls could be staring down an OCI bloodbath.

With that said, it is still the best legal employment news we've had in years.


Now where's my bridge...

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:44 pm

romothesavior wrote: I just want to keep everyone grounded and realistic.


I'm quite sure we don't need you for that. But we do appreciate your efforts to treat us so kindly.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:46 pm

doyleoil wrote:
romothesavior wrote: I just want to keep everyone grounded and realistic.


I'm quite sure we don't need you for that. But we do appreciate your efforts to treat us so kindly.


<3

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 pm

As expected. Finance dealings have been on the rise recently and are continuing to do so. Regulatory reform just enacted will continue to drive more legal work and M&A work is steadily increasing. We're not nearly at the levels of 2007-2008 in terms of business activity, nor will we be in the next 4-5 years, but this is probably the best we can hope for at the top in the medium-term.

Of course it's essential for lower firms to follow suit in raising their SA class numbers. I have a feeling it won't be as easy since a lot of smaller businesses are hurting, and I assume those are the ones that tap the lower V firms. c/o 2013 can only pray for 40-50% increases across the board from last year's slaughtering which would do a lot to open up everything for T14 peeps.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby como » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Why do I feel like I achieved something just by reading this thread? Has lawschool made me so unstable that the tiniest swing of the pendulum toward optimism can bring me from back from the depths of despair?

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby 270910 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:45 pm

como wrote:Has lawschool made me so unstable that the tiniest swing of the pendulum toward optimism can bring me from back from the depths of despair?


Probably.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Another ray of hope: Greenberg Traurig and Cahill Gordon are starting at least some of the recent grads in October '10. GT was originally deferred until Jan/March of '11 and Cahill was originally deferred until Jan '11.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby bwv812 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:41 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HAMBONE
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby HAMBONE » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:59 pm

bwv812 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Thanks, dude. I've been aware of Latham, but I know there's more out there that I don't know much about it. For example, this morning someone brought to my attention that Baker Botts didn't extend a single offer at CLS last year. Not the equivalent of lathaming, of course, but it is the sort of info I'd like to be aware of when composing my bidlist.

When you say this I'm never sure if you're talking about Columbia (which most call CLS) or Chicago (which I think you are, but most everyone around here calls Chicago).


I was told by a friend that Baker Botts didn't extend a single offer at Columbia. Not sure if that's what dresden was talking about or they did the same thing at Chicago too.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:01 pm

bwv812 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Thanks, dude. I've been aware of Latham, but I know there's more out there that I don't know much about it. For example, this morning someone brought to my attention that Baker Botts didn't extend a single offer at CLS last year. Not the equivalent of lathaming, of course, but it is the sort of info I'd like to be aware of when composing my bidlist.

When you say this I'm never sure if you're talking about Columbia (which most call CLS) or Chicago (which I think you are, but most everyone around here calls Chicago).


I was referring to CLS as far as Baker Botts no-offer thing. I have no idea what they did at Chicago - the school I attend and therefore of greatest interest to me personally - because, for whatever reason, our OCS has failed to provide us with comparable data. It appears I'll have to assume Chicago did comparable to CLS as far as individual firms are concerned and take it from there.

Apologies for the confusion.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:21 pm

dresden doll wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Thanks, dude. I've been aware of Latham, but I know there's more out there that I don't know much about it. For example, this morning someone brought to my attention that Baker Botts didn't extend a single offer at CLS last year. Not the equivalent of lathaming, of course, but it is the sort of info I'd like to be aware of when composing my bidlist.

When you say this I'm never sure if you're talking about Columbia (which most call CLS) or Chicago (which I think you are, but most everyone around here calls Chicago).


I was referring to CLS as far as Baker Botts no-offer thing. I have no idea what they did at Chicago - the school I attend and therefore of greatest interest to me personally - because, for whatever reason, our OCS has failed to provide us with comparable data. It appears I'll have to assume Chicago did comparable to CLS as far as individual firms are concerned and take it from there.

Apologies for the confusion.


Well, I guess with Baker Botts, you can assume they extended at least one offer - since Who Worked Where shows one 2L SA there this summer. :)

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:26 pm

doyleoil wrote:Well, I guess with Baker Botts, you can assume they extended at least one offer - since Who Worked Where shows one 2L SA there this summer. :)


Thanks, doyle - always on the ball with things. I hadn't even thoroughly looked into that yet.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:28 pm

dresden doll wrote:
doyleoil wrote:Well, I guess with Baker Botts, you can assume they extended at least one offer - since Who Worked Where shows one 2L SA there this summer. :)


Thanks, doyle - always on the ball with things. I hadn't even thoroughly looked into that yet.


I mean, one position (which may have been the only one) wouldn't exactly be a game-changer. But it's better than nothing.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Cool article. Do people usually pick out their Lambo's color as SAs or as 1st years? Mine's gonna be Cool Mint Green. :)

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby billyez » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I hope this stems the flood of people pushing for PI jobs that don't really want them and are just using them as refuge from the storm. I still don't care about law firm employment directly, but I care about how the immense fall-off has been making it even harder than before to land top PI jobs. More spaces for top law students at top law firms = fewer top law students trying to settle for less money but a stable job.


Amen to this.


I just wanted to concur with this. I knew things were bad when the PD's office I interned for started getting folks from NY moving down to Dallas to try to get a job there. I'm happy that the firms are hiring primarily because it'll give me a better chance of actually being able to do what I'm really interested in, rather than someone who's not.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:56 am

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Tiny Ray of Hope

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:14 am

I agree with doyle. I think what you're seeing is the reaction of some firms with otherwise huge summer classes to their 2011 deferral problem. I don't think you'll see a huge uptick in hiring across the board, but I think the otherwise healthy firms that cut back massively will open ip a few hundred more SA spots between them, sucking up top students who'd otherwise be going to lower-ranked firms. I don't think lower-ranked firms are in the financial position to significantly increase their SA classes, though. See e.g. Proskauer.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.