In-house Internships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-house Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:40 pm

I have worked for a large agricultural company for several years now. I was talking with a visiting higher-up today, who suggested that I talk to their legal department for a 1L summer internship. While I like the company and I'm sure I could get great recommendations, I'm wondering if such a thing is even worth looking into. I doubt their legal department would cover any areas I'm currently interested in. Still, in this economy, I'd hate to pass up on any opportunity.

TLDR version: is there such a thing as an internship with a company's legal department? If so, what effect does it have on a resume?

vamedic03

Re: In-house Internships

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Any legal work 1L summer is good/fine/all you need for your resume... It would probably be very interesting to work in a company's in-house legal department and you would probably get exposure to a broad area of the law - transactional, regulatory, tax, etc.

Kochel

Re: In-house Internships

Postby Kochel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Not really a constructive reply--I've heard that in-house summer gigs to exist, though I don't actually know which companies have them--but, as an in-house lawyer myself, I can't imagine what kind of work my legal department (about a dozen lawyers) could give to an intern. In-house departments, other than maybe the very biggest, just aren't set up to do on-the-job training for new lawyers.

Return to “Legal Employment”