Does WE matter in OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bdubs

Does WE matter in OCI?

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:19 pm

I will have 5 years of work experience in economic litigation consulting when I begin law school. I decided to attend law school primarily because my experience with antitrust law has prompted me to want to practice in the field. If I am seeking internships at top firms with strong AT practices, will my work experience help much?

It seems as though most schools (outside of Northwestern) place little emphasis on work experience. Does this carry through into top firm hiring as well?

For context: I am applying this Fall to schools in the T-14 but have almost zero chance of HYS with my GPA and only mediocre chances at CCN (thinking very hard about Chicago ED). I want to know how I should weigh employment opportunities offered by different schools given my greater than average amount of WE.

Thanks

imchuckbass58

Re: Does WE matter in OCI?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 pm

What I have heard (both from career services and 3Ls/alums) is that it will differentiate you amoung rough equals, but will not outweigh more important factors (grades, school). That is, if you are roughly median and have work experience, you will probably be hired before someone else who is roughly median w/o work experience, but don't count on beating a kid who is top third.

Also, it matters more and less for different firms/practices. Corporate seems to like WE slightly more than lit. Some of the british firms really like WE.

Postby 270910 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:30 pm

bdubs wrote:Does WE matter in OCI?

Yes. A very large amount. Grades and pedigree/school matter more, but controlling for those factors WE - particularly relevant WE - is a large plus.

atkinsa

Postby atkinsa » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 pm

It will matter, especially in this market. The softies are really a distinguishing factor when there are more people with high grades than they are planning on hiring.

Person

Postby Person » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 am

atkinsa wrote:It will matter, especially in this market. The softies are really a distinguishing factor when there are more people with high grades than they are planning on hiring.

My sincere hope is that in two years when this guy goes through OCI, ITE will not be T anymore.

Return to “Legal Employment”