When should I mail firms that go to OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When should I mail firms that go to OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 am

But don't get interviews with?

spanktheduck

Re: When should I mail firms that go to OCI?

Postby spanktheduck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:12 pm

The week before, send them an email and ask if you can interview with them at OCI.

jhandin

Postby jhandin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Last edited by jhandin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:39 pm

jhandin wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:The week before, send them an email and ask if you can interview with them at OCI.

Incorrect. If they don't choose you through OCI, DO NOT contact them and say "well, you didn't pick me through Symplicity, but can I interview anyway?"

That's ridiculous. The career services office at most schools will tell you that if you don't get an interview offer through OCI, you may contact the firm again once their OCI at that particular school is COMPLETELY OVER. Once they are done interviewing at your law school, THEN you may contact them on your own. Then, if they still have any vacancies (although highly unlikely), they will then be in the position to re-evaluate your application.

that's what i thought, i haven't contacted them personally, but my friend told me that a lot of the biglaw firms do not accept applications until OCI is over

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:49 pm

jhandin wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:The week before, send them an email and ask if you can interview with them at OCI.

Incorrect. If they don't choose you through OCI, DO NOT contact them and say "well, you didn't pick me through Symplicity, but can I interview anyway?"

That's ridiculous. The career services office at most schools will tell you that if you don't get an interview offer through OCI, you may contact the firm again once their OCI at that particular school is COMPLETELY OVER. Once they are done interviewing at your law school, THEN you may contact them on your own. Then, if they still have any vacancies (although highly unlikely), they will then be in the position to re-evaluate your application.

Incorrect, at least if your school uses a 100% lottery system. a week before is good (heard that from my school's CSO, so it's not just my opinion). however, i believe the sitch is such that, if they do want to interview you after seeing your resume, you cannot schedule an interview during the OCI period but must do it outside of those hours/days schedule for the official OCI (again, that's what my CSO told me anyway).

also, dude, easy with the know-it-all tone, it's "ridiculous."

jhandin

Postby jhandin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Last edited by jhandin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:52 pm

jhandin wrote:There is something I know. You like to eat dick in your mouth.

There is something I know. You are tempbanned.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 pm

jhandin wrote:

It obviously depends on what type of OCI your school does. If it is preselect, then yes, it is probably pointless to send a resume there. If OCI is lotto, then you should send away. I scored a bunch of interviews this way, as did other classmates. As for not scheduling interviews during the official OCI, this is true, but the official OCI (at least at my school) only included the actual time set aside for interviews. It did not include lunch, the morning, the afternoon, or any breaks in the day.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
jhandin wrote:There is something I know. You like to eat dick in your mouth.

There is something I know. You are tempbanned.

why thank you sir. there is indeed justice in the universe.

now i'm going to go jump off a cliff (literally!). good luck with the rez bombing OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:21 pm

spanktheduck wrote:
jhandin wrote:

It obviously depends on what type of OCI your school does. If it is preselect, then yes, it is probably pointless to send a resume there. If OCI is lotto, then you should send away. I scored a bunch of interviews this way, as did other classmates. As for not scheduling interviews during the official OCI, this is true, but the official OCI (at least at my school) only included the actual time set aside for interviews. It did not include lunch, the morning, the afternoon, or any breaks in the day.

OP here. Our OCI is lotto, so I guess I will mail firms in advance of OCI?

Return to “Legal Employment”