Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:48 am

Title pretty much sums it up.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:27 am

Will come out soon. Preselects are up next week-ish. Both BU/BC had approximately 55 unique firms doing OCI - also have about 30 or so in the BU/BC joint NYC fair, and a bunch of off campus programs. This doesn't include PI agencies, where BU/BC have a joint public interest fair. I'll let you know how I did when it comes out so you have a baseline.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 am

So there are around 85 firms total? That's not really alot considering that there were around 200+ before ITE...

Do you have a list of firms that come to campus? Thanks.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:So there are around 85 firms total? That's not really alot considering that there were around 200+ before ITE...

Do you have a list of firms that come to campus? Thanks.


Its more than that actually - I didn't count round 2. Anywho, when I have some time I'll give you a list (could prob just cut and paste from symplicity?). We still have a lot of heavy hitters coming (bunch of V25), who took people even last year. I think what hurt us was we used to get a lot of CA firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:10 am

Blindmelon wrote:Will come out soon. Preselects are up next week-ish. Both BU/BC had approximately 55 unique firms doing OCI - also have about 30 or so in the BU/BC joint NYC fair, and a bunch of off campus programs. This doesn't include PI agencies, where BU/BC have a joint public interest fair. I'll let you know how I did when it comes out so you have a baseline.


BC has about 55 offices coming (not unique firms).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Will come out soon. Preselects are up next week-ish. Both BU/BC had approximately 55 unique firms doing OCI - also have about 30 or so in the BU/BC joint NYC fair, and a bunch of off campus programs. This doesn't include PI agencies, where BU/BC have a joint public interest fair. I'll let you know how I did when it comes out so you have a baseline.


BC has about 55 offices coming (not unique firms).



Once again BU trumps BC!


Just kidding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So there are around 85 firms total? That's not really alot considering that there were around 200+ before ITE...

Do you have a list of firms that come to campus? Thanks.


Its more than that actually - I didn't count round 2. Anywho, when I have some time I'll give you a list (could prob just cut and paste from symplicity?). We still have a lot of heavy hitters coming (bunch of V25), who took people even last year. I think what hurt us was we used to get a lot of CA firms.



Thanks, that'd be great if you could send over the list. I am 0L at BU but I don't know if we can access simplicity yet?!

thechecker
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby thechecker » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Will come out soon. Preselects are up next week-ish. Both BU/BC had approximately 55 unique firms doing OCI - also have about 30 or so in the BU/BC joint NYC fair, and a bunch of off campus programs. This doesn't include PI agencies, where BU/BC have a joint public interest fair. I'll let you know how I did when it comes out so you have a baseline.


BC has about 55 offices coming (not unique firms).



Once again BU trumps BC!


Just kidding.


So what is the "ranking" of Boston area schools? I am sure Harvard runs away with it, but it seems it be BU with ~80, BC unknown until you know unique offices, Suffolk with 68, Northeastern unknown, and New England Law with 11.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Will come out soon. Preselects are up next week-ish. Both BU/BC had approximately 55 unique firms doing OCI - also have about 30 or so in the BU/BC joint NYC fair, and a bunch of off campus programs. This doesn't include PI agencies, where BU/BC have a joint public interest fair. I'll let you know how I did when it comes out so you have a baseline.


BC has about 55 offices coming (not unique firms).



Once again BU trumps BC!


Just kidding.


Are you a BC student? The 55 offices sounds quite low. I have a friend at BC now, and I don't remember him saying it was that bad... I think we compared our OCI lists and they were stupidly similar.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby tram988 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:40 pm

I've heard 60ish from a current bc student.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:51 pm

85 sounds relatively good compared to some other similarly ranked T20-30 schools. Hopefully next year its well past 100 again (or so this 0L hopes).

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby tram988 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:20 pm

yeah. That 60ish comment I posted refers to unique firms for BC.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Okay so for anyone who is still interested in this... I got 7 interviews out of the 12 or so I bid on - top 1/3rdish (a little under I think) BU - only bid on top big firms in the Boston area.

Those outside of the top 1/3 seem to be only getting 1-3 preselects (so prob all lottery picks), people with law review are seemingly getting 12+. I've also heard good to bad news from the NYC fair - those in the top 1/3rd are getting interview spots but I know of people who got shut out.

Moral of the story, outside of the top 1/3rd not even really any interviews are coming through. Within the top 1/3rd the range seems to be from 5 - 15 interviews.

This is with the caveat that OCI round 2 has not started - so there will be more - and this is only based off of the handful of people I talked to.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby tram988 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:31 pm

You're the man blindmelon. Thanks. I imagine bc is similar

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 pm

tram988 wrote:You're the man blindmelon. Thanks. I imagine bc is similar


Thanks. I assume it is (we have the same firm lists pretty much). I don't think BC picks come out for a little. If I find out anything on BC I'll let you know.

Xiaolong
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Xiaolong » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Okay so for anyone who is still interested in this... I got 7 interviews out of the 12 or so I bid on - top 1/3rdish (a little under I think) BU - only bid on top big firms in the Boston area.

Those outside of the top 1/3 seem to be only getting 1-3 preselects (so prob all lottery picks), people with law review are seemingly getting 12+. I've also heard good to bad news from the NYC fair - those in the top 1/3rd are getting interview spots but I know of people who got shut out.

Moral of the story, outside of the top 1/3rd not even really any interviews are coming through. Within the top 1/3rd the range seems to be from 5 - 15 interviews.

This is with the caveat that OCI round 2 has not started - so there will be more - and this is only based off of the handful of people I talked to.



Thanks for the info. The firms you are interviewing with are they V100 or NLJ250?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Xiaolong wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Okay so for anyone who is still interested in this... I got 7 interviews out of the 12 or so I bid on - top 1/3rdish (a little under I think) BU - only bid on top big firms in the Boston area.

Those outside of the top 1/3 seem to be only getting 1-3 preselects (so prob all lottery picks), people with law review are seemingly getting 12+. I've also heard good to bad news from the NYC fair - those in the top 1/3rd are getting interview spots but I know of people who got shut out.

Moral of the story, outside of the top 1/3rd not even really any interviews are coming through. Within the top 1/3rd the range seems to be from 5 - 15 interviews.

This is with the caveat that OCI round 2 has not started - so there will be more - and this is only based off of the handful of people I talked to.



Thanks for the info. The firms you are interviewing with are they V100 or NLJ250?


I'm not familiar with the vault things. List to the rankings?

Xiaolong
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Xiaolong » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:42 pm

I am not too big a fan of these things either, but I guess people on TLS take them as an indicator of how prestiguous, and consequently how difficult it is to be hired by a certain firm.

http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/ran ... regionId=0


BTW, are you happy with the results of OCI thus far?

jhett
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby jhett » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Wow... this is pretty bleak. I graduated from BU in 09. OCI 2007 was very different. Law firms were throwing themselves at pretty much everybody in the top half. Even below median people had some bites at the apple.

Good luck everyone! May offers and free swag and meals rain down on you all.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:28 pm

jhett wrote:Wow... this is pretty bleak. I graduated from BU in 09. OCI 2007 was very different. Law firms were throwing themselves at pretty much everybody in the top half. Even below median people had some bites at the apple.

Good luck everyone! May offers and free swag and meals rain down on you all.


Sigh... the good old days.

Xia - I have 2 V10s, the rest are within the 100.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Anyone with data on BU/BC OCI?

Postby dakatz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
jhett wrote:Wow... this is pretty bleak. I graduated from BU in 09. OCI 2007 was very different. Law firms were throwing themselves at pretty much everybody in the top half. Even below median people had some bites at the apple.

Good luck everyone! May offers and free swag and meals rain down on you all.


Sigh... the good old days.

Xia - I have 2 V10s, the rest are within the 100.


Wow, so people weren't joking when they said how important the top 1/3 is. Congrats on the interviews.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.