why do you want to work at firm x?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

why do you want to work at firm x?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:03 am

my plan (if it all works out!) is to work at a firm for a few years until I can work at DOJ. can i say in an interview that i want to eventually work in government but am looking for great training from firm x? or do i need to show a real long term commitment.

You Gotta Have Faith

Re: why do you want to work at firm x?

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:14 am

They'll want you to show long-term commitment. Like, they may not expect you to be there 20+ years from now. But they will be wanting you to be there for a while. What "a while" is depends on the firm. But in any case, do bear in mind that a lot of firms actually lose money on you during your first and second years. So they really need you there for 3 and sometimes even 4 years before they've truly started making a profit from having hired you in the first place.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:20 am

I wouldn't say that you wanted to eventually work for the gov't during a firm interview.

Postby 270910 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:23 am

spanktheduck wrote:I wouldn't say that you wanted to eventually work for the gov't during a firm interview.

Part of me wants to think it could work at some firms, but it would definitely be risky. Even if they expect you to go, I can't imagine hearing that you're already PLANNING to go helps you out. The leveraged business model certainly conflicts with deep and nurturing development, but they also probably worry about people who want to draw 7 months worth of crazy salary and then skip the light fantastic out of town.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:28 am

disco_barred wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:I wouldn't say that you wanted to eventually work for the gov't during a firm interview.

Part of me wants to think it could work at some firms, but it would definitely be risky. Even if they expect you to go, I can't imagine hearing that you're already PLANNING to go helps you out. The leveraged business model certainly conflicts with deep and nurturing development, but they also probably worry about people who want to draw 7 months worth of crazy salary and then skip the light fantastic out of town.

I agree. It is a weird balance in interviews b/c saying you wish to stay for 10+ years and make partner is stupid and unbelievable (almost no one does this), but at the same time, you can't really straight up say "I plan on leaving." In my mind, the best answer as to one's legal future question, is to be vague about the long term, but specific on your immediate desire to work for the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Yes, firms love to hear things like "I'm not really interested in biglaw but want money to pay off of my loans" or "I need 3 years of experience so that I can go in-house, please give me free training."

Sorry for the sarcasm but seriously uttering that line will destroy your chances at 98% of firms. I got asked if I was interested in public interest in an interview. They will try to sniff out people and you want to volunteer this information?!

Wouldn't clerking --> DOJ be a better path anyway?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:40 pm

ok - this all makes sense. so can someone help me - what's my story for why i want to work at a biglawfirm litigation department other than to get training to do something else???

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ok - this all makes sense. so can someone help me - what's my story for why i want to work at a biglawfirm litigation department other than to get training to do something else???

$$$

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ok - this all makes sense. so can someone help me - what's my story for why i want to work at a biglawfirm litigation department other than to get training to do something else???

You want us to make up a story for you????

How about you just get the balls to apply for the position you want and accept nothing less?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Because you want to be a big law firm litigator... not to be a smart ass, but, its really that simple.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:my plan (if it all works out!) is to work at a firm for a few years until I can work at DOJ. can i say in an interview that i want to eventually work in government but am looking for great training from firm x? or do i need to show a real long term commitment.

Yes also ask, if female, about matrunity leave during the first year, and if you have to work with any minorties. :P

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Because you want to be a big law firm litigator... not to be a smart ass, but, its really that simple.

That will make them laugh. Instead say because I'm really good at getting coffee, mindless tasks and, I'm a yes man, will give you all the credit for my work and you can shit on me as much as you want and I'll take it. guaranteed offer.

OP to be honest it does not sound like your really know what biglaw litigators do, or litigators even. Spend some time researching that and then you will be ebale to come up with reasons that fit your resume and goals that actually sound well reasoned to the interviewers.

Person

Postby Person » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Matthies wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

That will make them laugh. Instead say because I'm really good at getting coffee, mindless tasks and, I'm a yes man, will give you all the credit for my work and you can shit on me as much as you want and I'll take it. guaranteed offer.

OP to be honest it does not sound like your really know what biglaw litigators do, or litigators even. Spend some time researching that and then you will be ebale to come up with reasons that fit your resume and goals that actually sound well reasoned to the interviewers.

I think the point is that OP does not want to lie. My advice would be to lie. (If you have a moral problem with lying, read Kant, see how terrible his argument for never lying is, and then start lying.)

como

Postby como » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 am

Person wrote:
Matthies wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

I think the point is that OP does not want to lie. My advice would be to lie. (If you have a moral problem with lying, read Kant, see how terrible his argument for never lying is, and then start lying.)

I definitely like you.

Return to “Legal Employment”