Callbacks...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callbacks...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:17 pm

I've gotten 2 callbacks as a result of mass mailing before any of our on-campus stuff starts. I'm pretty surprised by the early timing of this, although certainly not complaining! Anybody else have good news to report? Maybe this is a sign this year isn't going to be as a terrible as I was expecting? I'm Top 10% at a school in the 19-30 range if anybody is wondering.

solidsnake

Re: Callbacks...

Postby solidsnake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten 2 callbacks as a result of mass mailing before any of our on-campus stuff starts. I'm pretty surprised by the early timing of this, although certainly not complaining! Anybody else have good news to report? Maybe this is a sign this year isn't going to be as a terrible as I was expecting? I'm Top 10% at a school in the 19-30 range if anybody is wondering.

Were the 2 firms located in your school's general region?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Not in the same region, but I guess you could say they were in "target markets."

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Do you mean that you went in for the standard 20-minute initial interview and have now gotten a callback, or just that you sent in materials and they called you back? It seems like the initial interview is unnecessary if they're responding to individual applications, no?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 pm

MrKappus wrote:Do you mean that you went in for the standard 20-minute initial interview and have now gotten a callback, or just that you sent in materials and they called you back? It sees like the initial interview is unnecessary if they're responding to individual applications, no?

The second, just sent in my materials and got a phone call back to come visit the city. And yes it does seem that initial interview is unnecessary at least to these firms, as they could have easily conducted one over the phone for free if they cared to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Transfer student but have gotten 2 interviews, with hopefully more coming, in my home market through quasi-connections, i.e. getting introduced to a firm employee (1 partner and 1 IT worker) through a friend and asking them forward my resume to the hiring partner. Its like the 6 degrees of separation method of networking.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Do you mean that you went in for the standard 20-minute initial interview and have now gotten a callback, or just that you sent in materials and they called you back? It sees like the initial interview is unnecessary if they're responding to individual applications, no?

The second, just sent in my materials and got a phone call back to come visit the city. And yes it does seem that initial interview is unnecessary at least to these firms, as they could have easily conducted one over the phone for free if they cared to.

Cool, thanks for the quick response. I just wanted to clarify your use of "callback," since I'm taking this route (in addition to doing OCI), and my interview travel budget would get smacked down pretty quick if I had to travel twice to every firm (for an initial and callback).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:32 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Cool, thanks for the quick response. I just wanted to clarify your use of "callback," since I'm taking this route (in addition to doing OCI), and my interview travel budget would get smacked down pretty quick if I had to travel twice to every firm (for an initial and callback).

From my admittedly little experience I don't think any firm is going to expect you to travel there for an "initial" interview. Last year when I mailed out my materials hoping for a 1L position the one firm out of town that actually showed interest just called and talked to me.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:34 pm

^ That's what I figured. "Callback" means something very specific WRT law firm interviewing, that's all. :) Thx for the info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:39 pm

I've gotten 4 interviews through mass mailing firms in a market I have little ties to. Two of them were screening interviews and two were callbackish interviews where I met with several attorneys. I'm about 30% in a lower T14. I was already planning on being in the city I'm interviewing at so that may be helpful. Also, all of the firms I've gotten interviews with are low V100s or below, as well as non-OCI firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”