Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby BobSacamano » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:48 pm

...in a field of law, let's say bankruptcy, when you have no experience in that field and have not taken any classes that would have touched on that topic? I'm genuinely interested in it, but I really have no way of saying that other than "I'm interested in bankruptcy." I've been told never to put something on a cover letter unless you can back it up (I can write well, here's the evidence, I'm a good communicator, here's the evidence, etc).

Should I even put that I'm interested in that field, or should I just put "interested in litigation" (for which I do have evidence) and move on?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:59 pm

BobSacamano wrote:...in a field of law, let's say bankruptcy, when you have no experience in that field and have not taken any classes that would have touched on that topic? I'm genuinely interested in it, but I really have no way of saying that other than "I'm interested in bankruptcy." I've been told never to put something on a cover letter unless you can back it up (I can write well, here's the evidence, I'm a good communicator, here's the evidence, etc).

Should I even put that I'm interested in that field, or should I just put "interested in litigation" (for which I do have evidence) and move on?


If your trageting a firm just for the bankrucpy pratice then yes, say it. Find a way to work in what your good at, writing, reasearch, ect. Do some reasearch on what bankrucpy lawyers do then tie that into the skills you do have. IS this 1l, 2l or post grad job? In the mean time do some stuff between now and graduation to shaow your intrested in it. Join bar section, school club, write soemthing, take some classes.

Think like this, lets say you never played golf before but you want to try it and your trying to covince me you could at least be decent enough to not hurt people when you play. Use examples of other sports you do play to show you have corordination, show me that your researched and know alot about sport Y, so you will likley do so for golf. Show me that you can swing well becuase you used to play tee-ball. Take the skills you do have and plug them into bankrucpy, to do this though you need to do some reasearcjh online about bankrucpy, but once you have some background you should be ebal to plug the skills you do have into things a bankrucpy law does, whatever the hell those are.

But hey, having filed bankrucpy or defaulting on your debts is likley not soemthing you want to bring up in your cover letter :)

Bingus McBadger
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby Bingus McBadger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:00 pm

BobSacamano wrote:...in a field of law, let's say bankruptcy, when you have no experience in that field and have not taken any classes that would have touched on that topic? I'm genuinely interested in it, but I really have no way of saying that other than "I'm interested in bankruptcy." I've been told never to put something on a cover letter unless you can back it up (I can write well, here's the evidence, I'm a good communicator, here's the evidence, etc).

Should I even put that I'm interested in that field, or should I just put "interested in litigation" (for which I do have evidence) and move on?



Nobody except cocksuckers are interested in bankruptcy. suck a cock

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Bingus McBadger wrote:Nobody except cocksuckers are interested in bankruptcy. suck a cock


I had high hopes for you, flame, but I was mistaken.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Bingus McBadger wrote:Nobody except cocksuckers are interested in bankruptcy. suck a cock

Suck a banhammer.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:11 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Bingus McBadger wrote:Nobody except cocksuckers are interested in bankruptcy. suck a cock

Suck a banhammer.


Was it somebody's alt?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:13 pm

All that I am at liberty to say is that the situation is being monitored closely and any further incursions will result in progressively stronger responses.

Dingus McBadger
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby Dingus McBadger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:19 pm

bk1 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Bingus McBadger wrote:Nobody except cocksuckers are interested in bankruptcy. suck a cock

Suck a banhammer.


Was it somebody's alt?


Get real little guys. Banhammer? Man if I saw you in real life I'd banhammer you in the face. That's really not funny at all. And somebody's alt? Chill out nerd. I'm just hangin out, made this account cause I have nothing to work on right now. TLS isn't your life, don't get so uptight.

BANHAMMMER! AYYAYAYAYAYYAYAYYAYAYYAYAYAY YOU JUST GOT BANHAMMERREEEEEEEEEED!

PS, I'm investigating this situation further. Results will be typed up in a memo.

Dingus McBadger
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby Dingus McBadger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:20 pm

vanwinkle has two dads and a hole in the wall

yesofcourse
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby yesofcourse » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:29 pm

If you have no experience or exposure to bankruptcy law then how can you know that you do (or would) like it?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:32 pm

yesofcourse wrote:If you have no experience or exposure to bankruptcy law then how can you know that you do (or would) like it?


I have no exposure to heroin, but I'd bet i'd like it. Hell most people have no exposure to the law before law school but pay upwards of 150k hoping they will like it.

yesofcourse
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby yesofcourse » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Matthies wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:If you have no experience or exposure to bankruptcy law then how can you know that you do (or would) like it?


I have no exposure to heroin, but I'd bet i'd like it. Hell most people have no exposure to the law before law school but pay upwards of 150k hoping they will like it.



To which I ask WHY do you think you would like heroin or practicing law? I am not saying it is impossible for OP to have a good reason to believe he/she would like bankruptcy; rather, I am just asking what those reasons are.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 pm

yesofcourse wrote:
Matthies wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:If you have no experience or exposure to bankruptcy law then how can you know that you do (or would) like it?


I have no exposure to heroin, but I'd bet i'd like it. Hell most people have no exposure to the law before law school but pay upwards of 150k hoping they will like it.



To which I ask WHY do you think you would like heroin or practicing law? I am not saying it is impossible for OP to have a good reason to believe he/she would like bankruptcy; rather, I am just asking what those reasons are.


I think i would like pratcicng herion law

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Dingus McBadger wrote:vanwinkle has two dads and a hole in the wall

Aaaaand IP banhammer.

yesofcourse
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby yesofcourse » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Matthies wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:
Matthies wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:If you have no experience or exposure to bankruptcy law then how can you know that you do (or would) like it?


I have no exposure to heroin, but I'd bet i'd like it. Hell most people have no exposure to the law before law school but pay upwards of 150k hoping they will like it.



To which I ask WHY do you think you would like heroin or practicing law? I am not saying it is impossible for OP to have a good reason to believe he/she would like bankruptcy; rather, I am just asking what those reasons are.


I think i would like pratcicng herion law


that makes sense

BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby BobSacamano » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:46 pm

yesofcourse wrote:To which I ask WHY do you think you would like heroin or practicing law? I am not saying it is impossible for OP to have a good reason to believe he/she would like bankruptcy; rather, I am just asking what those reasons are.

I don't like bankruptcy, I just used it as an example. To answer your question, though, I've just read a bit about the topic area and find it interesting. Nothing more, really, I'd just like to get experience in the field. That was sort of my problem. I guess if I don't have a real reason I should probably just leave it off.

yesofcourse
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby yesofcourse » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:09 pm

BobSacamano wrote:
yesofcourse wrote:To which I ask WHY do you think you would like heroin or practicing law? I am not saying it is impossible for OP to have a good reason to believe he/she would like bankruptcy; rather, I am just asking what those reasons are.

I don't like bankruptcy, I just used it as an example. To answer your question, though, I've just read a bit about the topic area and find it interesting. Nothing more, really, I'd just like to get experience in the field. That was sort of my problem. I guess if I don't have a real reason I should probably just leave it off.


I'm just saying that if you have a good reason, then include it; if not, then you shouldn't mention it, perhaps b/c you only think you're interested but really have no idea. But I know the exact position you're in b/c I'm in the same boat. I think the best thing to do is look at the skills that are important to the practice. E.g. bankruptcy involves enforcing creditor's rights, devising exit strategies or creating a business or financial restructuring plan for underperforming debtors, and negotiating everywhere in between. So for a cover letter, many times you can get away with saying something like....Your firm interests me because of its large mix of practice areas, especially its experienced/skilled bankruptcy department; and then don't mention the reasons for your interest in its bankruptcy department until the interview. Or, if you really want to, you can include the reasons for your interest in the department in your cover letter by saying you enjoy applying the skills involved in practicing that type of law; e.g. Due to my passion for negotiating, advocacy, collaborating with others, and creating business strategies, I have a strong interested in your bankruptcy department; or something like that.

johnxu
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:25 am

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby johnxu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:32 am

BobSacamano wrote:...in a field of law, let's say bankruptcy, when you have no experience in that field and have not taken any classes that would have touched on that topic? I'm genuinely interested in it, but I really have no way of saying that other than "I'm interested in bankruptcy." I've been told never to put something on a cover letter unless you can back it up (I can write well, here's the evidence, I'm a good communicator, here's the evidence, etc).

Should I even put that I'm interested in that field, or should I just put "interested in litigation" (for which I do have evidence) and move on?


People learn your interest by your actions, expertise and facts instead of words.

If I were you, here is some actions I may take within next 1-3 month to get some credits:

Read 1-3 books on the subject;
Create a blog, write and post 20 articles on the subject. If you are interested in the subject and have good writing skill, this should be easy;
Search relative websites and blogs for bankruptcy law. Provide them some articles you write. Bankruptcy is a big business and there are a lot of websites that need relative content;
Join relative communities. You can find them in websites like LinkedIn or Meetup;
Use the above to get a relative part time job;
Then knock the door to your desired position, :)

purpl333
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Another cover letter thread! How to convey interest...

Postby purpl333 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:12 pm

If you really have no real experience to back up an interest, you can always just say "I plan on/will be taking ______ class next year". You can do this even if it's not entirely true. Employers have no idea when law students pick classes nor is anyone ever going to follow-up to see if you actually took the class. Alternatively, if you really are interested in bankruptcy, it makes sense to at least take Intro to Bankruptcy Law.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.