time frame for responses to non-oci applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dru617

time frame for responses to non-oci applications

Postby dru617 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 am

is there any standard time frame for when firms generally respond (either positively or negatively) to non-oci applications for SA positions? do they generally not respond to anything until a certain date (i.e., do they just let their pile of applications grow and then contact everyone at once) or is it more of a rolling process? if rolling, what is the normal turnaround, if any?

thx.

atkinsa

Re: time frame for responses to non-oci applications

Postby atkinsa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 am

My experience was that it ranged from 4 days to 4 months.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:31 pm

atkinsa wrote:My experience was that it ranged from 4 days to 4 months.

good god. it's gonna be an alcoholic fall for me alright..

monstermasher

Postby monstermasher » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:42 pm

So how much time should we give before sending a follow up if we don't hear anything back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:51 pm

this is a little off topic... I didn't bid on an employer because it seemed out of reach. I was working with someone there, and was told to send in a résumé (although it seemed like more of a courtesy). So I'll send it in before OCI. Should I mention that I would like an interview at OCI, or might this be to set me up for something at the office? Is there really any standard operation to these things?

rando

Postby rando » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:51 pm

atkinsa wrote:My experience was that it ranged from 4 days to 4 months.

This was pretty much my experience. Though I did hear back from some recruiters almost immediately. Either to let me know they would get back to me at a certain date or to schedule a phone interview. It really depends.

And then, on the other hand, some firms would call me in October or November, months after I had secured employment, to schedule interviews.

As to follow up. I typically did not follow up because I had sent out so many. I figured it wasn't worth my time to keep track of and go through the whole thing again by following up.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:52 pm

monstermasher wrote:So how much time should we give before sending a follow up if we don't hear anything back?

as a piggyback onto this question - are phone calls appropriate for a follow up or is that too pushy?

rando

Postby rando » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this is a little off topic... I didn't bid on an employer because it seemed out of reach. I was working with someone there, and was told to send in a résumé (although it seemed like more of a courtesy). So I'll send it in before OCI. Should I mention that I would like an interview at OCI, or might this be to set me up for something at the office? Is there really any standard operation to these things?

I am not sure, but given that the employer will be interviewing at your OCI, your career services office might have rules against you scheduling an interview pre-OCI. You might want to check.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:56 pm

rando wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this is a little off topic... I didn't bid on an employer because it seemed out of reach. I was working with someone there, and was told to send in a résumé (although it seemed like more of a courtesy). So I'll send it in before OCI. Should I mention that I would like an interview at OCI, or might this be to set me up for something at the office? Is there really any standard operation to these things?

I am not sure, but given that the employer will be interviewing at your OCI, your career services office might have rules against you scheduling an interview pre-OCI. You might want to check.

I think they advise against it, although I don't remember ever seeing that specifically spelled out. But isn't it in everyone's best interest that I get a job?

Thanks though, part of me wants to avoid looking into that

Return to “Legal Employment”