crazy question - but dead serious

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273390
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

crazy question - but dead serious

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:36 am

I love working overnight. I want a life where I work - basically - 12-5 am, go to bed at around 5 am, wake up at noon, have lunch, work all afternoon, and hang out in the evening.

So my schedule would look like this:

12-5 am work
5am-12 pm sleep
12pm-1pm lunch
1pm-5pm work
5pm-12 am chill

This is a 9 hour work day - I can do this six days a week --> 54 hours.

I hate commuting, I hate riding up the elevator in some fancy building, I hate food courts at said fancy building, I just want to work from home. I am SUPER PRODUCTIVE. Nothing would make me more miserable than waking up at 8 in the morning, stuck in rush hour traffic, getting in at 9:10 am and getting a crap attitude from someone, waiting till lunch, extending lunch, waiting till check-out time, and then being too tired to do anything.

So uhh, as a rising 2L, what kinda job should I look for? I want to remain anonymous because this is pretty bizarre stuff - I'm posting this at 4:30 am, but I'm "full of focus man"
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:41 am

move to the otherside of the world and wear sunglasses. Michigan has a nice India oppertunities.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:41 am

Night court?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273390
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:43 am

come on guys, seriously, I'm like - serious here.

Why the hell are you two clowns up at 4:42 am anyway, or I guess 5:42 eastern, or wherever you guys are at.

I really wanna be a lawyer, I just want a 12-5 am, 1-5pm schedule.


User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby 20160810 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:48 am

Start a meth lab.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:49 am

I suppose you could set up a web-based solo practice and do some of the busywork at night. But come on, if a judge says "10:00am tomorrow morning," what are you gonna do?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:come on guys, seriously, I'm like - serious here.

Why the hell are you two clowns up at 4:42 am anyway, or I guess 5:42 eastern, or wherever you guys are at.

I really wanna be a lawyer, I just want a 12-5 am, 1-5pm schedule.


this anti-social name calling is what forces you to the fringes of the day. lol

LjakW
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby LjakW » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:14 pm

I think some DA's Offices operate 24-hours a day.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby como » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I love working overnight. I want a life where I work - basically - 12-5 am, go to bed at around 5 am, wake up at noon, have lunch, work all afternoon, and hang out in the evening.

So my schedule would look like this:

12-5 am work
5am-12 pm sleep
12pm-1pm lunch
1pm-5pm work
5pm-12 am chill

This is a 9 hour work day - I can do this six days a week --> 54 hours.

I hate commuting, I hate riding up the elevator in some fancy building, I hate food courts at said fancy building, I just want to work from home. I am SUPER PRODUCTIVE. Nothing would make me more miserable than waking up at 8 in the morning, stuck in rush hour traffic, getting in at 9:10 am and getting a crap attitude from someone, waiting till lunch, extending lunch, waiting till check-out time, and then being too tired to do anything.

So uhh, as a rising 2L, what kinda job should I look for? I want to remain anonymous because this is pretty bizarre stuff - I'm posting this at 4:30 am, but I'm "full of focus man"


I feel like this is a Cornell student I know and love.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273390
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:20 am

my friend's brother works for cleary and his schedule is generally like this:

12:00-22:00 - work
22:30 - 04:00 - smoke weed
04:00 - 11:00 - sleep

it's not 9-5.

also, you're not going to work exclusively from home or anything close. seriously, get rid of that fantasy. also, live downtown and kill your rush hour commute. suburbs are for people who either don't work much or don't care about their time.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:26 am

You could maybe try doing freelance work for other attorneys...preparing briefs and such. I used to know someone who did this but all the work dried up with the economy. It was always very variable as it was.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby como » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:my friend's brother works for cleary and his schedule is generally like this:

12:00-22:00 - work
22:30 - 04:00 - smoke weed
04:00 - 11:00 - sleep

it's not 9-5.

also, you're not going to work exclusively from home or anything close. seriously, get rid of that fantasy. also, live downtown and kill your rush hour commute. suburbs are for people who either don't work much or don't care about their time.


Who has time to smoke weed for 5 1/2 hours?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:28 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Start a meth lab.


Credited. Watch Breaking Bad if you need info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273390
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:29 am

como wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:my friend's brother works for cleary and his schedule is generally like this:

12:00-22:00 - work
22:30 - 04:00 - smoke weed
04:00 - 11:00 - sleep

it's not 9-5.

also, you're not going to work exclusively from home or anything close. seriously, get rid of that fantasy. also, live downtown and kill your rush hour commute. suburbs are for people who either don't work much or don't care about their time.


Who has time to smoke weed for 5 1/2 hours?


if you don't do anything but work, sleep, and smoke weed, you have a lot of time for weed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273390
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:00 am

Better question: Who can smoke weed for 5 1/2 hours? I'd be asleep/dead from a Pringles overdose long before then.

User avatar
NewHere
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby NewHere » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 am

Maybe you should aim for starting your own law office. You could use the 1-5 slot for seeing clients, and the 12-5 slot for doing your writing, legal research, administration, etc. It would also allow you to work at home, provided you can live in a place that allows you to have your office at home, or maybe next door. Apart from the occasional court date requiring you to be somewhere in the morning, it would probably be a pretty convenient schedule.

It's hard to start as a solo practitioner straight out of law school, though. Before you get there, you would probably have to tough it out for a few years, gaining experience at a firm with more regular business hours.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:32 am

1 - Release Insomnia virus on unsuspecting city.
2- advertise on late night TV for cheap.
3- ???????
4- Profit!

Seriously law is, somewhat, a service industry. You gotta be up and ready when everyone else is.

User avatar
como
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby como » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:12 am

joeshmo39 wrote:1 - Release Insomnia virus on unsuspecting city.
2- advertise on late night TV for cheap.
3- ???????
4- Profit!

Seriously law is, somewhat, a service industry. You gotta be up and ready when everyone else is.


Law isn't somewhat a service industry. It is exclusively a service industry.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby clintonius » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:46 am

como wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:my friend's brother works for cleary and his schedule is generally like this:

12:00-22:00 - work
22:30 - 04:00 - smoke weed
04:00 - 11:00 - sleep

it's not 9-5.

also, you're not going to work exclusively from home or anything close. seriously, get rid of that fantasy. also, live downtown and kill your rush hour commute. suburbs are for people who either don't work much or don't care about their time.
Who has time to smoke weed for 5 1/2 hours?
And who shows up to a biglaw job at noon?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:51 am

Document review?

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:52 am

UPS usually starts employees at 11pm--->6-7am
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by ArchRoark on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: crazy question - but dead serious

Postby rando » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:53 am

clintonius wrote:And who shows up to a biglaw job at noon?


People working in Banking, Finance, M&A etc. who rely on bankers to complete whatever part of a deal they're working on. Show up late because they're going to be there till midnight regardless of when they get there in the morning.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.