DePaul OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ITEGodknows

DePaul OCI

Postby ITEGodknows » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:12 pm

As the title hints, I'm at DePaul right now, top 5% + LR and a summer job as an RA with a well-respected professor. As you might guess, our OCI turnout is pretty abysmal with only 10 or so firms showing up (plus a bunch of resume collects). Obviously, I'm just gonna go ahead and do OCI no matter what. I figure I'll probably get a few interviews but I'm doubtful I'll get any offers. The economy is obviously terrible and firms are hiring very few SA's compared to previous years. My question is really whether I have a shot at all. Is it possible that some of these firms are just showing up to play nice with DePaul and have no intention of making any offers?

Thanks in advance.

Person

Re: DePaul OCI

Postby Person » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:03 pm

ITEGodknows wrote:As the title hints, I'm at DePaul right now, top 5% + LR and a summer job as an RA with a well-respected professor. As you might guess, our OCI turnout is pretty abysmal with only 10 or so firms showing up (plus a bunch of resume collects). Obviously, I'm just gonna go ahead and do OCI no matter what. I figure I'll probably get a few interviews but I'm doubtful I'll get any offers. The economy is obviously terrible and firms are hiring very few SA's compared to previous years. My question is really whether I have a shot at all. Is it possible that some of these firms are just showing up to play nice with DePaul and have no intention of making any offers?

Thanks in advance.

My guess is that they are turning up to get the best DePaul students. All of the top Chicago firms have DePaul grads, and I doubt that ITE is stop that in its tracks.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 am

While I agree with that for the most part, last year, I've been told, there were zero offers given out at "ferp" or whatever weird name they give it

ITEGodknows

Postby ITEGodknows » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:26 pm

ZERO?!? That's exactly what I was afraid of.

Person

Postby Person » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:43 pm

stinger35 wrote:While I agree with that for the most part, last year, I've been told, there were zero offers given out at "ferp" or whatever weird name they give it

Wow. I stand corrected. At least about the stopping it in its tracks. Still, my guess is that they would not turn up if they were not at least open to the idea of hiring the top students.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Person wrote:
stinger35 wrote:While I agree with that for the most part, last year, I've been told, there were zero offers given out at "ferp" or whatever weird name they give it

Wow. I stand corrected. At least about the stopping it in its tracks. Still, my guess is that they would not turn up if they were not at least open to the idea of hiring the top students.

They are just showing up because they are trying to show good faith and don't want to burn any bridges with Depaul because they might in the future want to hire some Depaul grads again via OCI. A lot of firms do this, even at top schools. Also, with Depaul, it's not like they are wasting a ton of time, money, or effort doing OCI there. It's literally down the street from all the law firms.

Major markets really are terrible to be at right now because everyone thinks they have a shot at them, every wants to be there; yet, the law firms barely need to hire anyone at all. Even smaller firms in Chicago are getting bombed with 300+ resumes for their 1-2 summer positions available. Even volunteer work is incredibly competitive in Chicago.

Good luck.

Person

Postby Person » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:57 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:Even smaller firms in Chicago are getting bombed with 300+ resumes for their 1-2 summer positions available. Even volunteer work is incredibly competitive in Chicago.

Wondering how you know this?

ITEGodknows

Postby ITEGodknows » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:11 pm

To be honest, it seems strange to me that the most important determinant of your legal career is set before you ever enter a law school.

Anyway, you'd think that employers would be open to the possibility that there are a few students at DePaul/Kent/Loyola who are as talented as a top 25% from U of C. The problem, of course, is how to figure out who those people are from a resume and an interview.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Nervous for next year (0L, starting at DePaul in a few weeks). I'm just glad I have a set (paid) job for 1L summer lined up already. One less thing I have to worry about. Classes will be my full focus until May.

swester

Postby swester » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:02 pm

I didn't even know there was OCI at DePaul anymore.

Well, turns out it's all but non-existent anyway.

ITEGodknows

Postby ITEGodknows » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:00 am

Why is that anonymous? Should be outed...

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:02 am

It's anonymous because he is a JDU troll. He posted a link to that post on JDU and started a thread about TLS.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:46 am

In all fairness to OP, one shouldn't enter a school like DePaul and expect to get a job from OCI. I realize it is tough out there, but I am sure that even in a good economy, most students there did not get employment through OCI.

ITEGodknows

Postby ITEGodknows » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:49 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah, that advice would have been more helpful a year and a half ago.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Person wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Even smaller firms in Chicago are getting bombed with 300+ resumes for their 1-2 summer positions available. Even volunteer work is incredibly competitive in Chicago.

Wondering how you know this?

PM'd

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:27 pm

ITEGodknows wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah, that advice would have been more helpful a year and a half ago.

Don't mean to pile on here, but why didn't you know this going into it? It's not like this was a secret. And if you're top 5%, why don't you just transfer up to Chicago or Northwestern?

ITEGodknows

Postby ITEGodknows » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:41 am

I tried to transfer into both but I was rejected.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:01 pm

ITEGodknows wrote:I tried to transfer into both but I was rejected.

Shit. Sorry to hear that.

Return to “Legal Employment”