University of Chicago Employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:27 pm

disco_barred wrote:
rayiner wrote:The offer rate is largely useless because it's not a predictor of future performance.


Slightly disagree, since I think it's useful as part of the big picture. The aggregate of the past 3 years summer class sizes, offer rate, starting salary, layoff news, and deferal news paint a pretty solid picture of firm financial strength and management style when compared across firms.


The offer rate is almost entirely a function of of the transient gap between 2008 over-hiring and available work in 2009. I think it does give insight into firm management style, but I don't think that information is particularly useful at the bidding stage where you have 50 or so bids to work with. There aren't enough healthy firms to fill your bid list with even mostly those, and in a lottery system your bid ordering should be more concerned with gaming based on firm popularity and class size than second-order stuff like firm health.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby bwv812 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:35 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

procrocodile
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby procrocodile » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:51 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could someone please send the info to me also?

Thanks - anonemail84@gmail.com


Done


It's a little late in the game, but could you send it one more time?

procrocodile@gmail.com

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:56 am

Does anyone know the general breakdown (word of mouth or numbers) on how many people end up applying to LA, Chi, NYC markets for U Chicago's OCI bid?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby dresden doll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 am

rayiner wrote:And Vault ranking isn't really that relevant at the bidding stage.


The reason I used Vault ranking is because I have an inkling that it's indicative of a given firm's popularity with my classmates. I just tend to think that a lot of people will look up Vault and bid more heavily on those firms that are ranked more highly. Absent actual bidding stats, it's as good of an approximation as I can think of.

Bwv, thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:01 am

People in recent years end up in the following markets at the following percentages:

35-40% = Chicago. 15-20% = New York City. 10-20% = Washington, DC. 10-15% = California. 3-5% = Texas. 3% = New England.

I don't know what this says about where people apply.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:17 am

pehaigllleises wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could someone please send the info to me also?

Thanks - anonemail84@gmail.com


Done


I'd like to take a last minute look at this if anyone is up this morning. Thanks.

throwawaymail22@gmail.com

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby dresden doll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Bidding period extended. Eh, so much for staying up till close to 2 last night to get everything in.

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby rynabrius » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:14 pm

dd: Same boat here. I was so happy to wake up this morning and be all done. Now I find that I have to spend more time agonizing over this.

I have become convinced that, given the paucity of information, constructing a bid list is a paradox of choice-type situation. Best to be a satisficer, since the 'best' answer is undiscoverable.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby dresden doll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:18 pm

^Yeah, I stayed up till 2 last night to get everything in so I wouldn't have to scramble this morning. I could really have used that sleep, dammit. Now, knowing myself, I will be revisiting the Excel spreadsheet to shuffle data around for the millionth time over.

iwantawhiteiphone4
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby iwantawhiteiphone4 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 pm

rynabrius wrote:I have become convinced that, given the paucity of information, constructing a bid list is a paradox of choice-type situation. Best to be a satisficer, since the 'best' answer is undiscoverable.


You're wrong! I'm sure there's some way to order my bid list so I'll get at least 40 interviews, 30 callbacks, and 20 offers. :D

I was also up to 2 am - but I deleted my excel spreadsheet, so I can't make changes now. Does anyone know when we find out which firms we're interviewing with?

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby doyleoil » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:56 pm

iwantawhiteiphone4 wrote:
rynabrius wrote:I have become convinced that, given the paucity of information, constructing a bid list is a paradox of choice-type situation. Best to be a satisficer, since the 'best' answer is undiscoverable.


You're wrong! I'm sure there's some way to order my bid list so I'll get at least 40 interviews, 30 callbacks, and 20 offers. :D

I was also up to 2 am - but I deleted my excel spreadsheet, so I can't make changes now. Does anyone know when we find out which firms we're interviewing with?


the original "important dates" list they gave us said the schedule would be released on friday the 13th (ominous, i know) - not sure if the extended bidding deadline changes that or not

usaojeff
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby usaojeff » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm sorry. I must be totally missing something. But why all the stress about bidding, anyway? I just researched the firms and bid on the ones I thought I would fit in at the best. Is that the wrong way to go about this thing?

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby doyleoil » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:15 pm

usaojeff wrote:I'm sorry. I must be totally missing something. But why all the stress about bidding, anyway? I just researched the firms and bid on the ones I thought I would fit in at the best. Is that the wrong way to go about this thing?


Because it's a pure lottery system, people think they can game it to get more interviews by bidding strategically. I'm not really sure it's possible to do that (too many variables), other than by (1) following OCS's advice not to bid on too many markets and (2) not wasting bids on firms that will be clearly out of your reach, given your GPA, etc.

I think number (2) is probably stressing people out, because we're less sure than ever where our bids will be wasted.

rynabrius
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby rynabrius » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:18 pm

The concern is that if you bid wrong you'll miss out on the interviews that could land you a job, and interview for firms you have no shot at. Imagine if you bid on a company that made zero offers last year, and then they once again make zero offers. Later you learn that you could have bid on a firm that extended offers to people with approximately your stats. Next step: suicide.

However, given the dearth of information, I think that your approach might actually be the most rational.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby dresden doll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:25 pm

doyleoil wrote:
usaojeff wrote:I'm sorry. I must be totally missing something. But why all the stress about bidding, anyway? I just researched the firms and bid on the ones I thought I would fit in at the best. Is that the wrong way to go about this thing?


Because it's a pure lottery system, people think they can game it to get more interviews by bidding strategically. I'm not really sure it's possible to do that (too many variables), other than by (1) following OCS's advice not to bid on too many markets and (2) not wasting bids on firms that will be clearly out of your reach, given your GPA, etc.

I think number (2) is probably stressing people out, because we're less sure than ever where our bids will be wasted.


Credited. It's number 2 that's stressing me out.

Also, it's worthwhile to note that bid-induced stressing probably increases in inverse proportion to one's class rank (i.e. the higher the class rank = the less stress-inducing the process). If I'd graded on LR, I wouldn't have spent half as much time composing my bidlist.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby bwv812 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:54 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby dresden doll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:57 pm

bwv812 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Also, it's worthwhile to note that bid-induced stressing probably increases in inverse proportion to one's class rank (i.e. the higher the class rank = the less stress-inducing the process). If I'd graded on LR, I wouldn't have spent half as much time composing my bidlist.

Chicago has grade-on LR?


Yes. The majority of people grade on; minority writes on.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to take a last minute look at this if anyone is up this morning. Thanks.

throwawaymail22@gmail.com


Bump, I'd still like to take a look at this if someone could help me out. Especially since we have the weekend now.

iwantawhiteiphone4
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby iwantawhiteiphone4 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:20 am

Bid results back. 21 of 50. I bid all over. I'm pretty happy. Biggest surprise: I didn't get Sidley at #6.

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby pehaigllleises » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 am

I got 15, 14 in Chicago, 1 in New York. I only had one New York firm in my top 30ish. I didn't get Jones Day at 9 or Kirkland at 13 (Seriously? Most of our Chicago-bound class probably doesn't have a shot at Kirkland anyway. This is why I'm a fan of partial preselect.). I got Dykema at 29.

I also had all of the first Thursday and Friday blocked off as exceptions because I'm getting married with exceptionally poor timing, so for that it's not bad.

User avatar
bizen boat
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:55 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby bizen boat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:45 am

I got 24; 15 in Chicago and the rest in Minneapolis, Milwaukee and STL. Hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot for sticking to the Midwest, but I really don't want to be anywhere else. The funny thing was my Minny and STL bids were 30+, but I got all of them anyway (except Bryan Cave).

zcc2012
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby zcc2012 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:49 am

Hmm. 14. Chi & NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273169
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 am

21. 12 in Texas, 3 in Chicago, 2 DC, 4 in random cool places.

procrocodile
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Postby procrocodile » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Could one of you send me the OCS grade info that's been circulating via this thread?

procrocodile@gmail.com




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.