University of Chicago Employment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:49 pm

As long as we're anonymously sharing good tidings from screener interviews, one hiring partner ended the conversation by saying "you'll be hearing from us soon." Another insisted I call or email him to "continue the great conversation." Another two kept congratulating me on my grades, and said "congratulations again" as I walked out.

What I'm not doing is going around and claiming I have callbacks--none so far!

In short, plz stop freaking me out tx.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As long as we're anonymously sharing good tidings from screener interviews, one hiring partner ended the conversation by saying "you'll be hearing from us soon." Another insisted I call or email him to "continue the great conversation." Another two kept congratulating me on my grades, and said "congratulations again" as I walked out.

What I'm not doing is going around and claiming I have callbacks--none so far!

In short, plz stop freaking me out tx.
Okay - But if a hiring partner says that "I'll introduce you to some other partners, and we'll see how you like them" - that's a callback in my book. "You'll hear from us soon" and "great grades" are not callbacks. There's a significant difference between those statements.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Congrats on the callbacks, then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats on the callbacks, then.
I concur. That said, why didn't said partner just hand you his assistant's info so that you could schedule a CB at your convenience? People have gotten CBs at screeners before, but that's usually how they happen - by partner telling you 'hi, call this person to come back in,' not 'let me introduce you to my colleagues at some undefined point in the future.'

As for being a pleasant person to work with, I somehow doubt that the vast majority of the members of our class aren't capable of presenting themselves as perfectly pleasant in the course of a 20 minute screener.

I don't mean to rain on your parade and I congratulate you if you really have scored all these CBs but I am much of the opinion that you don't have a CB untill you actually receive a CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey guys I've heard a couple people saying "When you meet with the partners..." and still have not gotten a callback, nor was I under the impression I was going to get one. That is something they throw around. Don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:27 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I've heard a couple people saying "When you meet with the partners..." and still have not gotten a callback, nor was I under the impression I was going to get one. That is something they throw around. Don't count your chickens until they're hatched.
I had a number of interviews last year ending on a similar note and none of those turned into callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:07 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:do you guys have any idea how i'll fare in the Chicago market with a 178.4-ish GPA? I'm thinking Mayer, Sidley, Jenner, Latham, Lord Locke, McDermott, Baker, etc.
I think that's top third. You're likely set for Jenner - dunno about others. Either way, you can't fail to walk out of OCI with a job, so there's that.
This is shockingly ill-informed. Last year Jenner Chi took exactly two Chi students: both URM, one journal, one WE, presumably decent grades. And quite a few people with grades > than 179 walked out of OCI without a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”