When should I apply to non-NALP and non-OCI firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jhandin

When should I apply to non-NALP and non-OCI firms?

Postby jhandin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Last edited by jhandin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Re: When should I apply to non-NALP and non-OCI firms?

Postby dood » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:55 pm

now.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Yeah, it really could not hurt to apply now. If firms take SAs, it is the beginning of the hiring season. I am applying to a secondary market (only one firm from the market does OCI at my school), and I had an interview yesterday and three more in the next week.

jhandin

Postby jhandin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:00 pm

dood wrote:now.

Really?? (Thanks for the quick response btw). Mid-level and smaller firms are just finishing up with their summer associates and clerks. Do they really want new applicants already? I figured they wouldnt bother even looking at the until December at the latest.

Do you disagree?

Postby 270910 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 pm

A couple of weeks ago.

rando

Postby rando » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:57 pm

disco_barred wrote:A couple of weeks ago.

Yep. Last year, I applied at the beginning of July. That seemed to have been about right. You can (generally) never be too early but can definitely be late. Recruiters will hold on to your resume but if they've already done their hiring when you send in your apps, then you're done.

The firm I worked at this summer already had their interview schedules for many school OCI's complete while we were still working as SA's. Even though you are not going to their OCI, you should aim to have your materials into firms so as to coincide with their normal hiring schedule.

Postby 270910 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:58 pm

rando wrote:
disco_barred wrote:A couple of weeks ago.

Yep. Last year, I applied at the beginning of July. That seemed to have been about right. You can (generally) never be too early but can definitely be late. Recruiters will hold on to your resume but if they've already done their hiring when you send in your apps, then you're done.

The firm I worked at this summer already had their interview schedules for many school OCI's complete while we were still working as SA's. Even though you are not going to their OCI, you should aim to have your materials into firms so as to coincide with their normal hiring schedule.

And before OP comes in to try and correct you because of the thread title: Yes, non-NALP firms do OCI, and yes, even firms that don't do OCI still hire a year in advance (at least much of the time). If they didn't, they would be left with nothing but the dregs.

Return to “Legal Employment”