Employment doesn't start until September?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ArthurEdens

Employment doesn't start until September?

Postby ArthurEdens » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 pm

I see that a lot of firms list employment start date as September following graduation. From graduation until July, your time is focused on the bar exam. Does that mean your time in August is typically completely free, or is there something that I'm missing? Thanks.

Re: Employment doesn't start until September?

Postby 270910 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Every firm is different, many have flexible start times. Also, different barzams are at different times. And those going on to clerk have yet a different set of dates and obligations to sort through (Iv'e heard a few judges even start their clerks in the summer, meaning no barzam for them!). But yes, it is fairly traditional to take a 'bar trip' between the bar and starting at a firm.

ArthurEdens

Postby ArthurEdens » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:48 pm

You cut to the heart of the matter by mentioning the "bar trip." Good to know that, if I'm lucky enough to find such a job, I'll possibly have a vacation before the long slog of being an associate.

Thanks.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 am

Return to “Legal Employment”