ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:33 am

Kirkland - really busy, everyone is expected to get offers (barring major screw ups)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland - really busy, everyone is expected to get offers (barring major screw ups)


Seconded.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby 12262010 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:03 am

this almost sounds like reason to be optimistic...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:06 am

booyakasha wrote:this almost sounds like reason to be optimistic...


Just depends on whether you want to SHATTER THE MARKET.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:43 am

Small boutique that does big law type govt work. Get fairly frequent emails about new clients, things seem opulent and busy. We're so small I doubt it's that relevant to the market at large, but things at least don't seem dire here (without contrast, I can't say if it's particularly better or worse than usual - just that it isn't dire).

User avatar
on_ne_sait_jamais
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland - really busy, everyone is expected to get offers (barring major screw ups)


Seconded.


Isn't this a little vague and too optomistic. Considering the ridiculous reduction in class size, and the amount of rising 2L's and 3L future 1yr or 2yr clearks who are Summer Associates who won't add to the employment numbers in 2011, should it really be encouraging that KE will be making offers to the small class it has? (relative to pre-mini-depression Era).

edit-red-rid work computer sucks
Last edited by on_ne_sait_jamais on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby 270910 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland - really busy, everyone is expected to get offers (barring major screw ups)


Seconded.


Isn't this a little vague and too optomistic. Considering the rediculous reduction in class size, and the amount of rising 2L's and 3L future 1yr or 2yr clearks who are Summer Associates who won't add to the employment numbers in 2011, should it really be encouraging that KE will be making offers to the small class it has? (relative to pre-mini-depression Era).


Yes. Getting no-offered is horrible. People have hypothesized the phenomena would pass given smaller class sizes, hearing whispers of anecdotes of those hypotheses being correct is quite encouraging. The bottom has been falling out of the legal market for a long time. I remember the day I realized there hadn't been a lay off post for days on Above the Law and I celebrated. No news can be great news these days.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:05 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland - really busy, everyone is expected to get offers (barring major screw ups)


Seconded.


Isn't this a little vague and too optomistic. Considering the rediculous reduction in class size, and the amount of rising 2L's and 3L future 1yr or 2yr clearks who are Summer Associates who won't add to the employment numbers in 2011, should it really be encouraging that KE will be making offers to the small class it has? (relative to pre-mini-depression Era).


It's especially encouraging since there have been no deferrals or salary freezes/cuts.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby miamiman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:10 pm

A potentially helpful question for any rising or soon-to-be 1L would be if any of you could comment upon what you have heard about upcoming recruitment

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:29 pm

miamiman wrote:A potentially helpful question for any rising or soon-to-be 1L would be if any of you could comment upon what you have heard about upcoming recruitment


I second this.

User avatar
tome
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby tome » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:56 pm

rad law wrote:
miamiman wrote:A potentially helpful question for any rising or soon-to-be 1L would be if any of you could comment upon what you have heard about upcoming recruitment


I second this.


My understanding is that Firms have decided that this is the last year they are going to "recruit." For the class of 2013 and beyond, students will never actually join large firms, but they will instead be hired on a temporary basis to do document review. Largely in India.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby miamiman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 pm

tome wrote:
rad law wrote:
miamiman wrote:A potentially helpful question for any rising or soon-to-be 1L would be if any of you could comment upon what you have heard about upcoming recruitment


I second this.


My understanding is that Firms have decided that this is the last year they are going to "recruit." For the class of 2013 and beyond, students will never actually join large firms, but they will instead be hired on a temporary basis to do document review. Largely in India.


killer laughs, dude.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Anyone else?

Any horror stories?

Anyone have any educated guesses or inside information on if next year's SA class will grow or shrink?

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby rando » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:Anyone else?

Any horror stories?

Anyone have any educated guesses or inside information on if next year's SA class will grow or shrink?


I have heard that a lot of firms are going for similar SA class sizes. And I would imagine some are expanding and some are decreasing (helpful, I realize). A lot of the thinking seems to be "why mess with a good thing?" The good thing being survival, no more deferrals, layoffs etc.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby miamiman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

rando wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Anyone else?

Any horror stories?

Anyone have any educated guesses or inside information on if next year's SA class will grow or shrink?


I have heard that a lot of firms are going for similar SA class sizes. And I would imagine some are expanding and some are decreasing (helpful, I realize). A lot of the thinking seems to be "why mess with a good thing?" The good thing being survival, no more deferrals, layoffs etc.


looks like c/o 2012 is going to sink or swim on firms increasing their class sizes on the margins and others bringing their summer program back to life.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:45 pm

miamiman wrote:looks like c/o 2012 is going to sink or swim on firms increasing their class sizes on the margins and others bringing their summer program back to life.


And c/o 2013 rides the post-ITE bubble to the top! NYC to 190! Models and bottles!

or alternatively, the economy tanks again and crippled state government offices freeze hiring. Then deflation screws us royally.

User avatar
on_ne_sait_jamais
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
miamiman wrote:looks like c/o 2012 is going to sink or swim on firms increasing their class sizes on the margins and others bringing their summer program back to life.


And c/o 2013 rides the post-ITE bubble to the top! NYC to 190! Models and bottles!

or alternatively, the economy tanks again and crippled state government offices freeze hiring. Then deflation screws us royally.


Haha, hilarious

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:05 pm

I think it would be helpful to know if any SAs' firms are overwhelmingly busy, which would probably be a decent indicator of an uptick in hiring. I mean I'm sure I'd like you all if I met you, but I seriously want you to be crushed by the weight of your workloads.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.