ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:16 am

V25ish NYC firm here. Everyone seems plenty busy. There's been about 8 or so lateral hires firm-wide that I know of, maybe 3 in my office. I've seen several people in the midst of an apparent interview. 1 partner in a smaller practice group here has left for another firm. I've seen one other farewell e-mail too but I think that was staff. The fact that I got those "new hire" and "farewell" e-mails makes me think that I would see them all. Stealth layoffs are "stealth" in the sense that it doesn't seem like a layoff, not that it's kept secret intra-firm right?

Anecdotally, work at DPW has ramped up that people are extremely overworked.

What's the word?

enygma

Re: ITT: SAs discuss how their firms seems to be doing ITE

Postby enygma » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:52 am

i'm not really sure what the point of having a thread like this is when you post anonymously and don't name the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:42 am

V10 in NYC. Firm is doing great. Every department is very busy. Every indication that everyone is getting an offer. And if someone doesn't get one, it won't be because of the economy.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:32 am

without naming the firm you're at, this thread is completely useless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:37 am

Jones Day; major market. Most departments are slammed. Associates can't wait for class of 2010 to come in, which are starting on time. Every indication that every SA is getting an offer barring any major screwups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:45 am

I wish I was at your firms. I'm not going to name my firm, because our summer class is small enough that it would be too easy to identify, but we're all terrified, the firm is slow, and we're staring down no-offer city.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I wish I was at your firms. I'm not going to name my firm, because our summer class is small enough that it would be too easy to identify, but we're all terrified, the firm is slow, and we're staring down no-offer city.

Questions:

Were things better when you accepted your offer?

What are you doing about job search now? 3L OCI? Resume spamming?

Maybe don't list the firm but the market?

That sucks. Sorry to hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:44 am

V50: Doing fine. Not overly busy, but everyone should be getting offers.

Well Known Lit Boutique (from a friend): Busy. Busy. Busy.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:22 am

I like this thread. Firm names would be helpful, but even without them it gives a general idea of how things are in the trenches.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:V10 in NYC. Firm is doing great. Every department is very busy. Every indication that everyone is getting an offer. And if someone doesn't get one, it won't be because of the economy.

Further elaboration: Class of 2010 is starting on time.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:50 am

Great idea for a thread. If you can't name the firm, which is understandable, how about a Vault range and possibly a practice group area (at the very least, lit/corp)? Thanks guys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 am

miamiman wrote:without naming the firm you're at, this thread is completely useless.

tcr

Postby 270910 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
miamiman wrote:without naming the firm you're at, this thread is completely useless.

tcr

Fuck of and die (I mean that in the nicest way possible). Sure, it'd be nicer if they would just wear headcams and upload the data to us, but we should be grateful and take what we can get. At smaller firms there would be a risk to posting the firm's name even under the anonymous feature. There's also an issue of pride here - talking about how "the V10 I'm at is doing" seems less underhanded than dishing the financials for the precise firm and office you're working at.

So yeah, more info would be good - but this is very useful information overall.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:48 am

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

tcr

Fuck of and die (I mean that in the nicest way possible). Sure, it'd be nicer if they would just wear headcams and upload the data to us, but we should be grateful and take what we can get. At smaller firms there would be a risk to posting the firm's name even under the anonymous feature. There's also an issue of pride here - talking about how "the V10 I'm at is doing" seems less underhanded than dishing the financials for the precise firm and office you're working at.

Saying V20 -- we're busy, fun place to work, looking like offers all around is totally useless.

That statement could apply to any major market. Idk what the hell you're talking about.

Postby 270910 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:51 am

miamiman wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

tcr

Saying V20 -- we're busy, fun place to work, looking like offers all around is totally useless.

That statement could apply to any major market. Idk what the hell you're talking about.

Because if, after a week, there were 10 posts ITT saying "V20 -- we're busy, fun palce to work" and 10 posts saying "V75-V100 -- man the life boats, partners routinely using associates as babysitters or human end tables, please oh sweet Jesus make it stop" then this thread will have provided very valuable information for students about to go through OCI.

Yes, knowing the firm, market, practice area, and partner any given poster works for would be better. But everything posted in this thread so far has been useful, and the more anecdotes it accumulates, the better.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:53 am

miamiman wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Because if, after a week, there were 10 posts ITT saying "V20 -- we're busy, fun palce to work" and 10 posts saying "V75-V100 -- man the life boats, partners routinely using associates as babysitters or human end tables, please oh sweet Jesus make it stop" then this thread will have provided very valuable information for students about to go through OCI.

Yes, knowing the firm, market, practice area, and partner any given poster works for would be better. But everything posted in this thread so far has been useful, and the more anecdotes it accumulates, the better.

I'm not holding my breath for 50+ discrete data points. This is TLS, recall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V50: Doing fine. Not overly busy, but everyone should be getting offers.

Well Known Lit Boutique (from a friend): Busy. Busy. Busy.

The V50 is a GP and the Lit Boutique is an IP Lit shop.

Eric475

Postby Eric475 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:28 pm

great thread so far keep the info coming!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Ok, it's a Vault-ranked lit boutique in NYC. This narrows it down to two. Very busy. Quite a few laterals. I bet the other one is doing fine too. Both of these had been doing fine all through ITE though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Almost everything sounds rosy. It's a good time to be a lawyer/law student

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Almost everything sounds rosy. It's a good time to be a lawyer/law student

Good thing you went Anon here, someone totally would have outted you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:46 pm

DPW is busy. There has been a pretty decent amount of transactional work to go around. Capital markets is heating up. The financial institutions practice is absolutely slammed (they're operating at ~125% of capacity). There are plenty of litigation projects as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:15 pm

V50ish in Century City, LA - the entire firm seems pretty busy, even corporate. there have been hints that the firm's going to give out full offers. partners have started asking summer associates which practice groups they are interested in. everyone's still nervous, but feeling fairly confident.

Person

Postby Person » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:09 am

Cilent21 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Almost everything sounds rosy. It's a good time to be a lawyer/law student

Good thing you went Anon here, someone totally would have outted you

Crying about anon posters is not as cool as people seem to think it is.

I have never heard of this firm before, but this link seemed relevant to the general purpose of this thread: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/pepper-h ... ffer-rate/

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:18 am

Interesting stuff so far. Keep it coming.

Return to “Legal Employment”