Biglaw IP firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
twistedwrister

Re: Biglaw IP firms

Postby twistedwrister » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 am

NYAssociate wrote:I think Weil is good if you're working out of SV. But their IP lit bench isn't deep. If you're working out of the NY office, there are better IP lit practices in the city. I also think they're excellent only in bankruptcy. The firm really isn't that well diversified, is very over-leveraged, and (before the economic crisis) was probably the GULC of the V10. The fact that they've had to defer associates like crazy, and conduct lay-offs, is a testament to how even a firm that is still handling the cash-cow that is the Lehman Bros. bankruptcy can be so poorly managed.

Interesting. A partner friend of mine had similar things to say about Weil. He also said that the firm culture is very "aggressive." I was aware of the layoffs/deferrals, but I wasn't aware that Weil's IP lit group wasn't deep. Is it really Powers + sidekicks, or is it more? Also, what firms would you consider to be top patent lit practices in NYC?

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:12 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:41 am

NYAssociate wrote:
Is it really Powers + sidekicks, or is it more? Also, what firms would you consider to be top patent lit practices in NYC?

As far as I know, it's Powers and sidekicks. For NYC, I think Chambers is pretty accurate with Fitz, K&E, and Ropes as Band 1.

Thanks. Re NY, that was my feeling as well.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:48 am

Except that Kirkland lost its biggest player in patent lit when Desmarais decided to make his own "patent holding company." A lot of Kirkland's clout in patent lit depended on Desmarais, and it'll be interesting to see how things play out for them from here on out.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:04 pm

awesomepossum wrote:Except that Kirkland lost its biggest player in patent lit when Desmarais decided to make his own "patent holding company." A lot of Kirkland's clout in patent lit depended on Desmarais, and it'll be interesting to see how things play out for them from here on out.

Oh, I agree that losing Desmarais was a huge blow for Kirkland. However, they still have patent litigators with some clout (Bob Krupka comes to mind, even though he isn't in NYC). I think Kirkland will be OK but will certainly lose some business (both in the short run and the long run) because Desmarais is gone.

edit - if not Kirkland, then what firm would you put in the top tier of patent/IP lit in NYC?

laborday

Postby laborday » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Anyone has a list of prestigious Washington DC's biglaw IP firms?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:12 pm

twistedwrister wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:Except that Kirkland lost its biggest player in patent lit when Desmarais decided to make his own "patent holding company." A lot of Kirkland's clout in patent lit depended on Desmarais, and it'll be interesting to see how things play out for them from here on out.

Oh, I agree that losing Desmarais was a huge blow for Kirkland. However, they still have patent litigators with some clout (Bob Krupka comes to mind, even though he isn't in NYC). I think Kirkland will be OK but will certainly lose some business (both in the short run and the long run) because Desmarais is gone.

edit - if not Kirkland, then what firm would you put in the top tier of patent/IP lit in NYC?

No, I still think Kirkland is definitely a major player. If you're looking for the biggest patent lit groups, it's definitely KE and Ropes with Weil in there someplace.

Last year, I was personally looking at firms where there would be opportunities for me as an associate. I had offers from KE and Ropes, but I wasn't really interested in being a cog in a huge patent lit wheel. In firms of that sort, I felt there was opportunity, but there was also a risk of being lost in the shuffle.

There are many very good firms with smaller patent lit groups that are very appealing and offer nice opportunities for new associates. My top choices at the end of the day were several V50 firms with patent litigators that I was personally interested in working for.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:18 pm

@ possum - I couldn't have said it better myself. I was in a similar situation, albeit in a different practice area, and I made the same choice (turned down "top" firms with huge groups to work at a great-but-slightly-less-prestigious firm with a smaller, up-and-coming group). It's turned out wonderfully.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:20 pm

edited.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Desmarais's departure, while a big deal, shouldn't really be blown out of proportion. I'm not quite at liberty to say why, but just take my word for it. The patent group is just fine, and his departure makes room for other promising partners to make it rain.

I'm sure Kirkland's patent group will be fine, but it won't be the same for some time. Perhaps some other partners will "make it rain," but it won't happen overnight. I'm also not at liberty to discuss specifics, but I've heard some things about K&E post-Desmarais that concern me (or more accurately, would concern me if I was a K&E patent lit associate).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:53 pm

edited.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 pm

It can't be TOO busy if you're posting on TLS at 1 PM on a Wednesday (I kid, I kid). All kidding aside, I'd like to believe you. On the one hand, if you work at K&E, you know how busy the department is. On the other hand, you work at K&E, so of course you want to believe everything is A-OK. I've heard from reliable sources that K&E has implemented some "business model" changes in its IP group post-Desmarais in an effort to retain certain clients. Maybe it will work, maybe not.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:47 am

I see that Kirkland superfan #1 has deleted his previous posts. For those considering IP, Kirkland just lost another IP litigator:

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202471545969&Kirkland_Loses_Another_IP_Partner_as_Pharma_Patent_Litigator_Joins_Paul_Hastings_

"Flattmann, who has represented pharmaceutical clients such as Forrest Laboratories and Sanofi-Aventis, is the third high-profile IP partner to leave Kirkland this year. In January, we broke the news that Kirkland IP star John Desmarais, one of the firm's biggest rainmakers, was stepping down to start his own patent licensing company. His departure followed an announcement that Kirkland IP partner Peter Armenio had joined Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan as co-chair of its life sciences team. (In January, Kirkland also lost rainmaker David Bernick, who joined Philip Morris International.)

Although Flattmann praised Kirkland in his interview with us, the 43-year-old told us his move was related to the previous departures of his onetime Kirkland IP colleagues. Like Flattmann, Desmarais and Armenio represented brand-name pharmaceutical companies in patent cases. In that specialty, Flattmann said, having breadth and depth at the partner level is key."

The Desmarais fallout continues.

Return to “Legal Employment”