NYC-area DA's Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
myrockyourrock911

NYC-area DA's Offices

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Random question, in the NYC area, what seems to be the DA office hierarchy (in terms of exit options, prestige, etc.)? I know Manhattan > all others, but which is the next most prestigious/competitive - Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn?
The pecking order is hinted at on TLS but nobody seems to elaborate on it. Thanks.

deadhipsters

Re: NYC-area DA's Offices

Postby deadhipsters » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Bronx County, it's closest to Columbia...

myrockyourrock911

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:27 pm

deadhipsters wrote:Bronx County, it's closest to Columbia...

Lol of course.

myrockyourrock911

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:32 am

Anybody have any insight?

myrockyourrock911

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:02 am

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:19 pm

NYC:
1. Manhattan
2. Brooklyn
3. Most people will say Bronx, but it's a DISTANT third.
4, 5... whatever pecking order you feel is appropriate.

NATIONALLY:
1. Manhattan
1. Los Angeles
3. Miami
4. Brooklyn

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NYC:
1. Manhattan
2. Brooklyn

NATIONALLY:
1. Manhattan
1. Los Angeles
3. Miami
4. Brooklyn

What do you mean by "nationally?" Most sought after DA offices in the country?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:34 pm

articulably suspect wrote:
1. Manhattan
2. Brooklyn

NATIONALLY:
1. Manhattan
1. Los Angeles
3. Miami
4. Brooklyn

I wouldn't go as far as saying "most sought after," but certainly most impressive in terms of sheer stats. If you are talking most sought after, Manhattan and LA stay at the top of the list, and Brooklyn MIGHT overtake Miami in certain respects. After all, it's still a NYC DA Office, and Brooklyn is NYC's largest borough, even bigger than Manhattan. If you want to get trial experience or investigation experience in special victim crimes, child crimes, trafficking, rackets, organized crime, then Brooklyn should be #3 on anyone's list. BUT, if you're looking to get experience in major narcotics, then I would pick Miami as #3... or maybe even #1.

myrockyourrock911

Postby myrockyourrock911 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1. Manhattan
2. Brooklyn

NATIONALLY:
1. Manhattan
1. Los Angeles
3. Miami
4. Brooklyn

I wouldn't go as far as saying "most sought after," but certainly most impressive in terms of sheer stats. If you are talking most sought after, Manhattan and LA stay at the top of the list, and Brooklyn MIGHT overtake Miami in certain respects. After all, it's still a NYC DA Office, and Brooklyn is NYC's largest borough, even bigger than Manhattan. If you want to get trial experience or investigation experience in special victim crimes, child crimes, trafficking, rackets, organized crime, then Brooklyn should be #3 on anyone's list. BUT, if you're looking to get experience in major narcotics, then I would pick Miami as #3... or maybe even #1.

Thanks very much.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1. Manhattan
2. Brooklyn

NATIONALLY:
1. Manhattan
1. Los Angeles
3. Miami
4. Brooklyn

What do you mean by “sheer stats?” High concentrations of major crimes? To be honest, as it relates to gaining experience in most of those areas you’ve mentioned, one needn’t be in LA or NYC…necessarily. Sadly, those crimes are relatively prevalent (one can gain exposure/experience in those areas) throughout the nation, small and large cities/counties alike, IMO. The exception being organized crime and racketeering, but I thought the USAO/FBI generally handled those cases.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1. Manhattan
2. Brooklyn

NATIONALLY:
1. Manhattan
1. Los Angeles
3. Miami
4. Brooklyn

What do you mean by “sheer stats?” High concentrations of major crimes? To be honest, as it relates to gaining experience in most of those areas you’ve mentioned, one needn’t be in LA or NYC…necessarily. Sadly, those crimes are relatively prevalent (one can gain exposure/experience in those areas) throughout the nation, small and large cities/counties alike, IMO. The exception being organized crime and racketeering, but I thought the USAO/FBI generally handled those cases.

I am trying to respond in a candid manner, but the bottom line is that you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't want to get into it because it will take up too much time (that i dont have atm), but simply put, your first argument is flawed because you are assuming that there is an equal ratio of ADAs to crimes being committed, no matter what jurisdiction you are talking about, which is simlply not the case. NYC is FAST paced. you will hit the ground running and will collapse of exhaustion, but hey, it's where the big boys play. Your second argument is also incorrect: Yes, DA offices deal with crimes within their own jurisdiction, and often collaborate with the Feds if there is a jurisdiction issue. The NYPD and DA in NYC have enough resources where the help of fed or state prosecutors and enforcement is rarely needed, unlike smaller jurisdictions that would need to ask elsewhere for those resources. (Ie FBI/DOJ)

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:51 am

quote="Anonymous User"]
Anonymous User wrote:

I am trying to respond in a candid manner, but the bottom line is that you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't want to get into it because it will take up too much time (that i dont have atm), but simply put, your first argument is flawed because you are assuming that there is an equal ratio of ADAs to crimes being committed, no matter what jurisdiction you are talking about, which is simlply not the case. NYC is FAST paced. you will hit the ground running and will collapse of exhaustion, but hey, it's where the big boys play. Your second argument is also incorrect: Yes, DA offices deal with crimes within their own jurisdiction, and often collaborate with the Feds if there is a jurisdiction issue. The NYPD and DA in NYC have enough resources where the help of fed or state prosecutors and enforcement is rarely needed, unlike smaller jurisdictions that would need to ask elsewhere for those resources. (Ie FBI/DOJ)

I am not making any arguments (what arguments, seriously) or assuming anything here, period. I am, however, more or less sharing my knowledge, which is derived from my own experience and conversations with practicing attorneys (of whom many are or were deputy district attorneys and even the elected DA’s from various regions) and asking you to clarify you “sheer stats” comment. I know very little about Manhattan DA, admittedly, and was not feigning as though I did. I can only speak to my experiences and acquired knowledge.

My main point is this: in much smaller counties I can say, anecdotally, that the prosecutors I know got to handle far more complex and “serious” (ie lead prosecutor in murder trial) cases much sooner than I witnessed others, in the larger counties. Of course, that doesn't mean this anecdote is the rule. Point is, you don’t HAVE to be in a major jurisdiction in order to gain massive exposure and handle those more “exciting” cases, that’s all. Also, of all the counties I’ve looked into, you can gain exposure in a variety of specialties or areas (most of which you listed in your post)…as an intern/extern in just about all of them, which was another anecdote I (edit: meant to anyway) was throwing out there.

Again, wasn’t making an argument, as it relates to NYPD/Manhattan DA not assisting the federal government in certain cases, which happens all the time, everywhere (local, state gov. assisting fed and visa versa.) I honestly do not know to what extent young Manhattan ADA’s and law students receive this kind of exposure...I wasn’t arguing they DON”T. That wasn’t an argument, but a statement…or more like a passing thought put in question form.

So, what did you mean by "sheer stats?"

Return to “Legal Employment”