AM LAW: SUMMER ASSOCIATE HIRING DOWN 44 PERCENT OVER 2009 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
testmachine45

Bronze

AM LAW: SUMMER ASSOCIATE HIRING DOWN 44 PERCENT OVER 2009

Post by testmachine45 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Here's the link: http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... iates.html

STILL: 3,586 people got big law summer associate positions. Obviously, the number is even greater as not all firms reported(like Debevoise and Plimpton) which last year hired 100 people.

3,586 is a lot of people. That's basically half the classes of the Top 20 schools put together. Seems reasonable to me.

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Re: AM LAW: SUMMER ASSOCIATE HIRING DOWN 44 PERCENT OVER 2009

Post by Sell Manilla » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:39 pm

How can you read about a 44% drop from '09 to '10 and sound positive about the raw total leftover?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:46 pm

professor testmachine45 wrote:Good news, everyone! The legal services industry has decided to outsource your jobs.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:Ouch.
we've known this. now they assigned an aggregate % to the bloodbath.

here's to hoping the economy doesn't double-dip.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 pm

miamiman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Ouch.
we've known this. now they assigned an aggregate % to the bloodbath.

here's to hoping the economy doesn't double-dip.
Yeah it's nothing new. Just still sucks to think about.

And don't worry, His Holiness in the White House is working on it.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:49 pm

"Obviously we were in the midst of one of the greatest economic downturns in recent history last year," says Steven Sletten, chair of Gibson, Dunn's firmwide hiring committee, commenting on the decrease. "We had to make adjustments on the margin and thought it was prudent to reduce the size of the summer program somewhat." He says he does not expect the size of next year's program to be dramatically different from this year's. Latham did not return calls for comment.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:50 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:Image

This is so absolutely credited outside Yale.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:51 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:Image

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:53 pm

sumus romani wrote:"Obviously we were in the midst of one of the greatest economic downturns in recent history last year," says Steven Sletten, chair of Gibson, Dunn's firmwide hiring committee, commenting on the decrease. "We had to make adjustments on the margin and thought it was prudent to reduce the size of the summer program somewhat." He says he does not expect the size of next year's program to be dramatically different from this year's. Latham did not return calls for comment.
Gibson was one of the largest though. The Gibsons of the world aren't the firms that we're all hoping to see increases - its more the Cravaths and Morgan Lewises (cut by 80%/100%) that we're hoping to see really pick up hiring.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 pm

disco_barred wrote:
sumus romani wrote:"Obviously we were in the midst of one of the greatest economic downturns in recent history last year," says Steven Sletten, chair of Gibson, Dunn's firmwide hiring committee, commenting on the decrease. "We had to make adjustments on the margin and thought it was prudent to reduce the size of the summer program somewhat." He says he does not expect the size of next year's program to be dramatically different from this year's. Latham did not return calls for comment.
Gibson was one of the largest though. The Gibsons of the world aren't the firms that we're all hoping to see increases - its more the Cravaths and Morgan Lewises (cut by 80%/100%) that we're hoping to see really pick up hiring.
Is ML even doing a program next year?

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Kohinoor wrote:images
I guess I just have a loser's mentality =D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Can someone who knows more than I do about this elaborate on what this means for those who are looking to work for a smaller firm after graduation? I know that the hiring decrease is correlated to that in big law but considering that most small firms primarily don't recruit through OCI, what affect does the reduction in firms attending OCI have on those looking at small firm work?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:58 pm

I figured it was about half. Looks like 2012 will be about the same. I hope the rebound occurs by 2013, but we should all assume it won't.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Wasn't it widely reported that OCI offices at almost all schools claimed that biglaw SA positions were increasing this year (2010 SA hiring) from last year (2009 SA hiring)? These data clearly show otherwise.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I figured it was about half. Looks like 2012 will be about the same. I hope the rebound occurs by 2013, but we should all assume it won't.
I assumed it was more than 50%. And I'm not holding my breath.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm

sumus romani wrote:Wasn't it widely reported that OCI offices at almost all schools claimed that biglaw SA positions were increasing this year (2010 SA hiring) from last year (2009 SA hiring)? These data clearly show otherwise.
How does this data show otherwise? You mean the cautious commentary from the Gibson dude / lack of response from Latham?

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:03 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Can someone who knows more than I do about this elaborate on what this means for those who are looking to work for a smaller firm after graduation? I know that the hiring decrease is correlated to that in big law but considering that most small firms primarily don't recruit through OCI, what affect does the reduction in firms attending OCI have on those looking at small firm work?

Because OCI is run during the summer between 1L and 2L, those who miss out on OCI will be competing against you for a small-firm job during the summer between 2L and 3L, and then later through 3L, and finally after graduation. So this is terrible news all around, even those not looking for biglaw.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:04 pm

miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I figured it was about half. Looks like 2012 will be about the same. I hope the rebound occurs by 2013, but we should all assume it won't.
Firms need new associates, and the legal market isn't down 44%. There has to be an increase eventually. Though it might be too late for us.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:05 pm

miamiman wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Wasn't it widely reported that OCI offices at almost all schools claimed that biglaw SA positions were increasing this year (2010 SA hiring) from last year (2009 SA hiring)? These data clearly show otherwise.
How does this data show otherwise? You mean the cautious commentary from the Gibson dude / lack of response from Latham?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. But I take it that the preditions from "Gibson dude" are for OCI 2011 SA hiring.
Last edited by sumus romani on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:07 pm

sumus romani wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Can someone who knows more than I do about this elaborate on what this means for those who are looking to work for a smaller firm after graduation? I know that the hiring decrease is correlated to that in big law but considering that most small firms primarily don't recruit through OCI, what affect does the reduction in firms attending OCI have on those looking at small firm work?

Because OCI is run during the summer between 1L and 2L, those who miss out on OCI will be competing against you for a small-firm job during the summer between 2L and 3L, and then later through 3L, and finally after graduation. So this is terrible news all around, even those not looking for biglaw.

We're all still screwed then. Got it. Thanks.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Firms need new associates, and the legal market isn't down 44%. There has to be an increase eventually. Though it might be too late for us.
I agree that the volume in legal work isn't down 44% but I suspect firms will be cautious to bring much larger junior associate classes in so long as a) clients continue to refuse to pay, b) firms are able to maintain lean staffing, and c) the economy remains uncertain

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Rebound? We all better just hope the (new) status quo holds.

Most of the speculation I've heard shows these changes being permanent, mostly due to a shift in client-firm relations. There isn't enough work to go around, so firms can't turn work down in favor of other (now-nonexistent) clients who will pay for tons of first-years anymore.

For the balance to move back in favor of firms, there will have to be a huge uptick in activity. And there's no indication that the GDP is going to grow at anything like a decent rate for a very long time.

on_ne_sait_jamais

New

Post by on_ne_sait_jamais » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Sell Manilla wrote:How can you read about a 44% drop from '09 to '10 and sound positive about the raw total leftover?
Sell Manilla, I knight you the smartest person on TLS... Hilarious how people are so ignorant of how bad the market really is. There's a Yalie rising 3L summering at a midmarket firm in the city I'm in... Do you have any idea how depressing that is. When Yale isn't a ticket into a V50, things are really, really, bad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”