Business cards for law students - with poll

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should law students have business cards?

Yes.
26%
No.
48%
I don't know, but my opinion is very important.
26%

Total votes: 271

thecilent

Gold

Re: Business cards for law students - with poll

Postby thecilent » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:05 pm

It's so much easier to give someone a plain b-card with phone number and email as opposed to standing there and having them type it into their phone at that moment.

And as for always contacting the other side, sometimes you don't want to randomly follow-up. In which case, it is nice to let the other side have the option

Gold

Postby 270910 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Cilent21 wrote:It's so much easier to give someone a plain b-card with phone number and email as opposed to standing there and having them type it into their phone at that moment.

And as for always contacting the other side, sometimes you don't want to randomly follow-up. In which case, it is nice to let the other side have the option

Logical fallacy: Assumes anybody will ever want a law student's contact information instead of the other way around in a setting where a business card would be appropriate.

thecilent

Gold

Postby thecilent » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:07 pm

disco_barred wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
disco_barred wrote:If you wind up making a 'contact' then it will ALWAYS be in the circumstance of you potentially contacting them, and you can get their business card. There's an etiquette to these things.

I strongly agree with this.

Exactly. To elaborate, it's farcical to conceive of a law student networking with an attorney and the attorney desperately wanting the student's contact info for future contact. I'm not saying it never happens - I'm sure it does - but the standard business etiquette has it going the other way around.

I suppose you could technically say it's a "doesn't hurt to have it" item in the one in a million event that somebody asks you for a card. But because the legal world assumes law students won't have cards, and operates in a way that law students simply aren't business contacts (there's a reason they're called business cards and not calling cards or hire my dumb ass cards)...

You might need to network more then.

Also, at law school age, it's nice for all people to have b-cards -- just bc your a law student shouldn't mean it would be douchy

romothesavior

Diamond

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:07 pm

disco_barred wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
disco_barred wrote:If you wind up making a 'contact' then it will ALWAYS be in the circumstance of you potentially contacting them, and you can get their business card. There's an etiquette to these things.

Exactly. To elaborate, it's farcical to conceive of a law student networking with an attorney and the attorney desperately wanting the student's contact info for future contact. I'm not saying it never happens - I'm sure it does - but the standard business etiquette has it going the other way around.

And to reiterate my point above, if I were a lawyer, I'd rather give a law student my card and have them contact me. It gives me a glimpse of their ability to take initiative, their level of professionalism, and their real interest in the job/topic/whatever.

thecilent

Gold

Postby thecilent » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:08 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:It's so much easier to give someone a plain b-card with phone number and email as opposed to standing there and having them type it into their phone at that moment.

Logical fallacy: Assumes anybody will ever want a law student's contact information instead of the other way around in a setting where a business card would be appropriate.

I don't think I made a crazy assumption there

But whatever

webbylu87

Silver

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

And to reiterate my point above, if I were a lawyer, I'd rather give a law student my card and have them contact me. It gives me a glimpse of their ability to take initiative, their level of professionalism, and their real interest in the job/topic/whatever.

All valid points but I don't think anyone is suggesting that a student carrying their own contact cards precludes them from doing what you say above (which are all important points). My understanding is that most of us are suggesting that you simply give them out when requested. If they are not requested, and even if they are for that matter, the responsibility is still on the student to pursue the contact.

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Postby Sell Manilla » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:18 pm

@disco & romo: alright, so it's prolly better to get the card of a potential employer. But isn't there a greater than 0% chance that someone specifically asks you for your contact info? From some other responses, it seems like the answer is yes. So, while I'll assume you're right about the etiquette, I still plan on doing this when I get to law school. I agree with everyone who's made the distinction that it becomes douchey only as soon as you offer it unprovoked.

disco, I am indeed employing the "it can't hurt" rationale you mentioned, but "one in a million" seems off. Maybe I'm wrong [OL disclaimer].

Edit: sorry webbylu, I basically just ditto'd you.

ZachOda

Bronze

Postby ZachOda » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Last edited by ZachOda on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antipodean

Bronze

Postby Antipodean » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:26 pm

disco_barred wrote:

I don't believe that it's necessary to extrapolate from first principles here.

As a paralegal, people would ask me for my business card. As a summer associate, people have asked me for my business card. It's uncommon, but it happens. So why not carry a card?

That doesn't mean you should be offering someone your business card uninvited, of course; that's a pretty easy way to come off as a douche. Even if they're giving you their card, you probably don't want to offer your own. As others have indicated, it's pretty unusual for a lawyer to want a law student's contact details. But my experience has been that there are people who will ask for a business card, even as a law student / summer associate, so carrying a couple with you plain makes sense. Of course, all the usual taste considerations apply to the card itself.

HBK

Bronze

Postby HBK » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Having worked for several years, I would probably feel naked if I didn't have a card of some sort at a networking event. Like when you realize you forgot your phone.

eandy

Gold

Postby eandy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Conclusion:

Is it douchey to have a business card as a law student? No.

Will you have opportunities to use it appropriately ? Not often.

Could it be useful in a limited number of situations? Yes.

If you can get a good deal on getting just a few, I think you should go for it.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:32 pm

HBK wrote:Having worked for several years, I would probably feel naked if I didn't have a card of some sort at a networking event. Like when you realize you forgot your phone.

This is how I feel about not wearing a watch.

HBK

Bronze

Postby HBK » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Also, a business card etiquette tip for those uninitiated:

When someone (especially Asian or South/Central American) hands you a card, stare at it for at least 15-30 seconds. Read every stupid thing it says. Some people find it extremely rude when they give you a card and you just toss it in your jacket pocket.

HBK

Bronze

Postby HBK » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:34 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
HBK wrote:Having worked for several years, I would probably feel naked if I didn't have a card of some sort at a networking event. Like when you realize you forgot your phone.

This is how I feel about not wearing a watch.

Same, but for some reason, only if I'm wearing a jacket or tie.

romothesavior

Diamond

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:35 pm

I think eandy, sell manilla, and webby are probably credited.

Carry it, if you wish, but definitely don't give it out.

dood

Gold

Postby dood » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Last edited by dood on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Postby Sell Manilla » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:51 pm

dood wrote: last year i ordered a box of law school business cards just in case - i have yet to hand out a single one. and i go to all the networking/open house/firm reception things.

But you have them just in case.

Antipodean wrote:As a paralegal, people would ask me for my business card. As a summer associate, people have asked me for my business card. It's uncommon, but it happens. So why not carry a card?

Geist13

Silver

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:04 pm

Antipodean wrote:But my experience has been that there are people who will ask for a business card, even as a law student / summer associate, so carrying a couple with you plain makes sense. Of course, all the usual taste considerations apply to the card itself.

Exactly. If someone explicitly asks for a card and you have to write your name, number and email in your chicken scratch on a napkin, you're gonna feel (and look) like a dick. Moreover, you never know if that's the person who knows about a potential opening and may be willing to speak on your behalf. Don't give cards out unsolicited, but it makes no sense to be unprepared for even the slightest possibility. You don't have to worry about looking like a douche because the only people who will even know you have them are those who ask for them.
Last edited by Geist13 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katjust

Bronze

Postby katjust » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:07 pm

I never thought I would need business cards as a law student, but the people at my summer fellowship told me to get them.

In the short time that I have had them I have had quite a few opportunities to hand them out. I have also been told by career services people that it is a good idea to get business cards with your school logo on them.

So, I have changed my mind from being indifferent to them to being all for them.

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Postby Sell Manilla » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:10 pm

katjust wrote: I have also been told by career services people that it is a good idea to get business cards with your school logo on them.

I'd talk to people that don't have a vested interest in advertising your school about this one before heeding their advice.

UFstudent

New

Postby UFstudent » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:12 pm

-
Last edited by UFstudent on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruski

Bronze

Postby ruski » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:37 pm

it seems to me the type of people who want the cards just in case are the same type of people who would mistakenly give it out at an inappropriate time. for instance, if an attorney give u a card, i still dont think is a good time to give him back your card (since it was not expressly asked for).

i also think people are exagerating its usefulness. if there is someone who is willing to stick his neck out for you and help u get a job, chances are this guy would already have your contact information and be some close family friend. strangers you meet at networking events do not want your cards and will not help u get a job. i agree that the chances it being usefull are 1 in a million, and the chances it hurts you are much more.

even if an attorney for some reason does want your contact info, i feel like he would much rather want you to take his card and email him, rather than you give him ur card.

Danteshek

Gold

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:58 pm

My business cards have served me very well. It's all about context. Of course, most law students have no clue about how to be a professional.

ohnowtf

New

Postby ohnowtf » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:23 pm

I think they are a great idea. I have found I run into attorneys in very unanticipated ways. If you have a meaningful conversation, then it is appropriate to ask if they would be willing to chat again. If they say 'yes', then ask for their card, and offer yours. I don't understand what is so douchey about that.

Chuch

New

Postby Chuch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 pm

i hope the 23 yes all have this
--ImageRemoved--

if not... good luck?

Return to “Legal Employment?