AmLaw Daily: Summer Hiring Survey: 44% Down in 2010 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
badwithpseudonyms

Silver

AmLaw Daily: Summer Hiring Survey: 44% Down in 2010

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:50 am

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it's on ATL's Morning Docket: Summer Hiring Survey: 44% Down in 2010 For those too lazy to follow the link...
Law school students faced one of the roughest hiring seasons ever this summer, as firms cut their summer classes by an average of 44 percent, according to our Summer Hiring Survey. The 114 firms that responded to the survey hired an average of 31 summer associates this year, down from last year's average of 55 associates. (The complete results of the survey are detailed in the chart below; the survey is arranged starting with the highest percentage drop year-over-year in the number of summer associates hired for 2010 on to the highest percentage growth.)

Some of the biggest cuts came from the top of The A-List. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom took the most severe hit in gross numbers, going from 223 summer associates in 2009 to 79 this year. Cravath, Swaine & Moore's summer class shrank by 81 percent to just 23 summer associates, the biggest percentage decrease in the survey--except for Ballard Spahr, which cut its summer program entirely. Skadden and Cravath declined to comment, and Ballard Spahr did not return calls for comment.

Of all the firms surveyed, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher and Latham & Watkins welcomed the largest classes of summer associates: 110 summer associates each. However, that number still represents a decline from 2009, when both firms had about 150 summer associates.
"Obviously we were in the midst of one of the greatest economic downturns in recent history last year," says Steven Sletten, chair of Gibson, Dunn's firmwide hiring committee, commenting on the decrease. "We had to make adjustments on the margin and thought it was prudent to reduce the size of the summer program somewhat." He says he does not expect the size of next year's program to be dramatically different from this year's. Latham did not return calls for comment.

Ropes & Gray also saw a significant decrease in the size of its summer program--from 200 to 82. Director of legal recruiting Helen Long says that's because in late 2008 Ropes hired its largest summer class ever, due to what was then a robust demand in private equity and securities work.

But it's not completely doom and gloom. Eleven firms either maintained or increased the size of their summer classes, with Hinshaw & Culbertson and Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi reporting increases of 50 percent or more. Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge even added a summer program of six associates after not having one last summer. (None of these firms returned calls for comment.) Intellectual property firm Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear increased its summer program by 48 percent, a jump from 27 to 40 associates. The firm's volume of work grew with the recession because companies became more aggressive about protecting their patents and preventing copyright infringement, says managing partner Steven Nataupsky.

The grim numbers translated into new challenges for law schools. Beth Moeller, the assistant dean for career services at UCLA School of Law, says she knew the summer of 2010 would be unusually slow when law firm recruiters started to cancel interview slots--and even entire summer programs--as early as spring 2009. UCLA has adapted by beefing up its outreach to government agencies and alumni as potential employers. "I was here in 2001 after the dot-com bubble and we saw a drop-off, but it wasn't as dramatic as this time," Moeller said.
Due to the increasingly competitive environment, many law firms have noticed not only a higher yield rate on permanent job offers, but also more rapid acceptances. Moeller said she has been encouraging students to respond to offers more quickly to help their classmates being held on waiting lists.

Although many firms are cautiously optimistic about accommodating slightly larger classes next summer, it seems likely that even many top students will be holding fewer job offers than normal. "I know that it used to be if you went to a Top Ten law school and if you were in the top three-fourths of the class, you had it made," Long said. "I'm not sure that that's the case anymore."

Edit: Bolded stuff that can't be gleaned from the chart for the tl;dr crowd.

jp0094

Bronze

Re: AmLaw Daily: Summer Hiring Survey: 44% Down in 2010

Post by jp0094 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm

im confused why Morgan Lewis isn't on there. Didn't they completely cut out their SA program for summer 2010?

Danneskjöld

New

Post by Danneskjöld » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 pm

says it's a survey, maybe they didn't participate?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:11 pm

tl;dr?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:13 pm

King & Spalding down 64%, Alston & Bird down 59%, glad to know atlanta is weathering the storm well . . . .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:23 pm

I didn't read the article, but I assume it's full of good news. Sunshine and lollipops, here I come

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:25 pm

JPU wrote:tl;dr?
That's is why I said this:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:Edit: Bolded stuff that can't be gleaned from the chart for the tl;dr crowd.
and highlighted this:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
"Obviously we were in the midst of one of the greatest economic downturns in recent history last year," says Steven Sletten, chair of Gibson, Dunn's firmwide hiring committee, commenting on the decrease. "We had to make adjustments on the margin and thought it was prudent to reduce the size of the summer program somewhat." He says he does not expect the size of next year's program to be dramatically different from this year's. Latham did not return calls for comment.

Although many firms are cautiously optimistic about accommodating slightly larger classes next summer, it seems likely that even many top students will be holding fewer job offers than normal. "I know that it used to be if you went to a Top Ten law school and if you were in the top three-fourths of the class, you had it made," Long said. "I'm not sure that that's the case anymore."
Last edited by badwithpseudonyms on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Read the bolded if you feel it is TLDR.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:29 pm

I was asking what the initialism "TLDR" stood for, not commenting on your posting style.

edit: google FTW, to those in the dark tldr = too long didnt read

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 pm

JPU wrote:I was asking what the initialism "TLDR" stood for, not commenting on your posting style.

edit: google FTW, to those in the dark tldr = too long didnt read
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry. Just consider my last post the "cliff notes" version for those who subscribe to the practice of TLDR.

It was a really long post, I know. Probably should have just linked. Some people are very TLS-centric though, and would prefer to never navigate away from the board.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:37 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:It was a really long post, I know. Probably should have just linked. Some people are very TLS-centric though, and would prefer to never navigate away from the board.
More that I don't trust other websites while at work and the more garish ones (even if they are news-oriented) are more obvious if somebody sees, as opposed to TLS because it is text-heavy.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Good post, OP. But honestly, after reading, I feel like ::barf::. Some days every day, I wish that I had been born three years earlier. :cry:

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Good post, OP. But honestly, after reading, I feel like ::barf::. Some days every day, I wish that I had been born three years earlier. :cry:
No you don't. The only difference between the classes of 2006 and 2010 is that the '06ers aren't dragging so much debt into the unemployment line.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:26 pm

I think it's funny how legal publications keep pushing out articles like this shit is actually news. This might have been relevant six months ago but.......

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 pm

At least they got a job in the first place

edit: oh hai spot

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:At least they got a job in the first place

edit: oh hai spot
sup shawtayyyy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:35 pm

how can some firms with only 500 lawyers total and no lawyer growth(like paul weiss) hire 194 summer associates and have 99 percent offer rates?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how can some firms with only 500 lawyers total and no lawyer growth(like paul weiss) hire 194 summer associates and have 99 percent offer rates?
they can't (without attrition) - usually lots of associates leave every year (hopping around to other firms or trading down or whatever) - not true now - hence the layoffs (forced attrition) - plus, the summer of 2009 was wild, because lehman happened right in the middle of OCI and people suddenly accepted offers left and right and some firms had summer classes that were WAY too big (because they weren't used to that many people accepting offers)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 pm

doyleoil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how can some firms with only 500 lawyers total and no lawyer growth(like paul weiss) hire 194 summer associates and have 99 percent offer rates?
they can't (without attrition) - usually lots of associates leave every year (hopping around to other firms or trading down or whatever) - not true now - hence the layoffs (forced attrition) - plus, the summer of 2009 was wild, because lehman happened right in the middle of OCI and people suddenly accepted offers left and right and some firms had summer classes that were WAY too big (because they weren't used to that many people accepting offers)
way to big...that means you could potentially see even gr8er rates of attrition

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
way to big...that means you could potentially see even gr8er rates of attrition
]

depends on the firm, i suppose - the difference in pw's 2010 and 2009 isn't huge compared to some - maybe they'll take care of it through deferrals - but i don't think they've done that yet? more likely they'll be quietly showing people the door

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”