Getting hired by biglaw firms not at a T6 school's OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jimmyd11011

New

Getting hired by biglaw firms not at a T6 school's OCI?

Post by jimmyd11011 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Is there any way that someone from a T6 can get a summer associate position at a big firm that isn't recruiting at that school? For example, there must be offices of big firms in LA that don't interview at Columbia, NYU, etc. I assume that's because it isn't economically feasible to travel across the country to recruit students who largely won't be interested in living in LA. That's not to say that the offices wouldn't jump on the chance to hire top students at these schools. My question is how would a student at one of these schools get hired at a big firm that would seem to want students from that school but don't participate in their OCI?

NotANoob

New

Re: Getting hired by biglaw firms not at a T6 school's OCI?

Post by NotANoob » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:12 pm

jimmyd11011 wrote:Is there any way that someone from a T6 can get a summer associate position at a big firm that isn't recruiting at that school? For example, there must be offices of big firms in LA that don't interview at Columbia, NYU, etc. I assume that's because it isn't economically feasible to travel across the country to recruit students who largely won't be interested in living in LA. That's not to say that the offices wouldn't jump on the chance to hire top students at these schools. My question is how would a student at one of these schools get hired at a big firm that would seem to want students from that school but don't participate in their OCI?
Reach out to the firm. Contact the recruiting coordinator directly and explain your interest. You can find out if there is an official mechanism. Also send a resume and brief cover letter explaining your interest to the firm's hiring partner. You can also contact alumni that work at the firm. You're a bit late on this one though. Ideally you should do this in advance of OCI so that you can keep that call informational. Also ask your CSO. Take their advice with a grain of salt, though.

Once you have your callbacks set up, you can take a second swing at the non-OCI firms in your areas of interest. Let them know you will be in the area and ask if it would be possible to meet with them (reminding them that you have already sent in your resume). (This can get tricky, because I believe you need make sure costs get shared with all the firms you interview with. If the firms are NALP firms, they will know how to deal with it, though.)
Last edited by NotANoob on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HAMBONE

New

Post by HAMBONE » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:13 pm

jimmyd11011 wrote:Is there any way that someone from a T6 can get a summer associate position at a big firm that isn't recruiting at that school? For example, there must be offices of big firms in LA that don't interview at Columbia, NYU, etc. I assume that's because it isn't economically feasible to travel across the country to recruit students who largely won't be interested in living in LA. That's not to say that the offices wouldn't jump on the chance to hire top students at these schools. My question is how would a student at one of these schools get hired at a big firm that would seem to want students from that school but don't participate in their OCI?
email your resume along with a cover letter to the firm's legal hiring recruiter. Most firms have the information on their websites about how students should apply if the firm is not coming to their school's OCI

jimmyd11011

New

Post by jimmyd11011 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:58 pm

so this actually leads to a fair amount of hiring?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”