Same Firm - Multiple Offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
markymark

Bronze

Same Firm - Multiple Offices

Post by markymark » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:15 pm

Let's say a firm lets you bid on multiple offices (LA and NYC; etc.), is this considered ok if you are bidding in both markets?

Jarndyce

Bronze

Re: Same Firm - Multiple Offices

Post by Jarndyce » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Sure- what would be the problem? Firms aren't stupid- they know that you are bidding on more than just a single office of a single firm. If anything, it shows that you want to work for the firm and are willing to be flexible with location.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:40 pm

What if I am interviewing with different offices at different job fairs? Do firms know? Assume that I'm interviewing with law firms big enough to have different recruitment directors for each office I'm interested in. I'm trying to figure out what to say during my interviews.

Thanks.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 pm

I have a personal opinion on this, but I don't know the gospel. My opinion is that since you have to put on your big boy panties at some point and choose one firm over another, it's bad strategy to bid on multiple offices from the same firm. You'll sort of automatically call into question your commitment to Name Ampersand and Name's office in Location, State if you have to admit (or they automatically share) that you're also bidding on their office in Other Location, Different State. Firms are picky about regions, and even if you have 'ties' to both trying to straddle them might be risky. I've heard a lot about people for whom targeted geography contributed to their success.

And, in general, I feel that bidding on discrete firms is a wise thing to do. Also, most firms don't have several offices with healthy summer associate classes - they'll have a giant HQ and a tiiinnny sattelite office in a few places. And if you're bidding on several of their offices with only like 2 summers per year, it's just not a great bet ITE...

But those thoughts are fairly detached from anecdote or data, just my reasoning on the issue.
Last edited by 270910 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
disco_barred wrote:I have a personal opinion on this, but I don't know the gospel. My opinion is that since you have to put on your big boy panties at some point and choose one firm over another, it's bad strategy to bid on multiple offices from the same firm. You'll sort of automatically call into question your commitment to Name Ampersand and Name's office in Location, State if you have to admit (or they automatically share) that you're also bidding on their office in Other Location, Different State. Firms are picky about regions, and even if you have 'ties' to both trying to straddle them might be risky. I've heard a lot about people for whom targeted geography contributed to their success.

And, in general, I feel that bidding on discrete firms is a wise thing to do. Also, most firms don't have several offices with healthy summer associate classes - they'll have a giant HQ and a tiiinnny sattelite office in a few places. And if your bidding on several of their offices with only like 2 summers per year, it's just not a great bet ITE...

But those thoughts are fairly detached from anecdote or data, just my reasoning on the issue.
We were told that it's OK within reason. You don't want to give the impression that you'll work anywhere, even if it is true. You want to have reasons for why you selected each office.
Yeah. I'd personally still avoid it where possible, but that makes sense.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:41 pm

The advice I trust says it's not good to use this kind of "shotgun" approach to firms. They want to know (more now than ever) that you're seriously committed to a single location. So I would be careful bidding on a bunch of different locations.

As to your question about job fairs, I guarantee they will know. Firm hiring is well-coordinated, despite the differing recruiting contacts.

I shotgun-applied for my 1L summer to a bunch of different firm offices, and I don't think it was well-received by a lot of places (in fact, I didn't get an interview at a single place I did that...obviously there are lots of factors that play into that, but I believe the shotgun approach was one of them).

The one thing I'll say is if a firm asks in an interview if you're interested in other locations, I personally don't think it'd be a bad thing to mention one other location (but not more than one).

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:49 pm

doyleoil wrote:The advice I trust says it's not good to use this kind of "shotgun" approach to firms. They want to know (more now than ever) that you're seriously committed to a single location. So I would be careful bidding on a bunch of different locations.

As to your question about job fairs, I guarantee they will know. Firm hiring is well-coordinated, despite the differing recruiting contacts.

I shotgun-applied for my 1L summer to a bunch of different firm offices, and I don't think it was well-received by a lot of places (in fact, I didn't get an interview at a single place I did that...obviously there are lots of factors that play into that, but I believe the shotgun approach was one of them).

The one thing I'll say is if a firm asks in an interview if you're interested in other locations, I personally don't think it'd be a bad thing to mention one other location (but not more than one).
thank god, because I just used all my bids on NYC and several people told me it was a bad idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:59 pm

booyakasha wrote:
doyleoil wrote:The advice I trust says it's not good to use this kind of "shotgun" approach to firms. They want to know (more now than ever) that you're seriously committed to a single location. So I would be careful bidding on a bunch of different locations.

thank god, because I just used all my bids on NYC and several people told me it was a bad idea.
Actually, I've heard countless times that's the smartest way to do it. "What other firms are you bidding on?" "Oh, I only bid on This Region firms" is probably worth more Interview Points than all of the other stupid shit law students do to try and get firm jobs combined. Other than the grades thing :P

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:20 pm

^ excellent.

interviews are awkward enough, and I wasn't about to go in there feigning ties to places I've never even been.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:22 pm

booyakasha wrote:^ excellent.

interviews are awkward enough, and I wasn't about to go in there feigning ties to places I've never even been.
Sounds like you're well on your way to not needing to enjoy dla piper.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:13 am

amyLAchemist wrote:I am debating this too. My deal though is that I want to bid on multiple offices in the same general region. i.e. LA and/or OC and/or San Diego. Does this make it any more acceptable? I am having some trouble getting a long enough bid list anyways...
I did it with one firm (bid on offices in 4 cities) and ended up with CBs in 3/4 (and offers at each of those 3). The one that I didn't get a CB at said that it was because I had the other CBs.

I believe you're interested in IP, as am I, and I think that may make this more acceptable for us than others who aren't looking at getting into IP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:18 am

My story is I've actually lived in a bunch of places, so I can genuinely show an interest and tie to every market I am applying to. I was just wondering the level of coordination in the HR department of a large law firm. I certainly don't want to interview in LA one week and then interview in Boston three weeks later if they know I'm not really gunning to work in Boston.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:55 am

I just want to clarify. The advice I received was not geared toward bidding on different firms in multiple regions (which is probably still okay, as long as you don't overdo it and spread yourself too thin). It was geared toward bidding on the same firm in multiple regions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”