OCI: URM + LRev? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI: URM + LRev?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:36 pm

T14, on law review + URM (decent grades by non-URM standard) (also speak several highly coveted languages fluently). Is there any particular advantage to being on law review if one is also an URM at the same time? i.e., on a firm page I'd show up as <Soandsominority>, <GPA honors>, <name of top 10 law review here>. It wouldn't look like <Soandsominority>, <Obvious Affirmative Action Hire>, right? I hear LRev is typically not so much of a boost, but in this case I at least have a fairly visible credential right?

Our LRev doesn't take into account race into admissions (I am going to account for 1/4 of the URMs on this LRev.)

Cleareyes

Bronze

Re: OCI: URM + LRev?

Post by Cleareyes » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:45 pm

No. You should choose between a minority and being on law review. Being both at the same time actually cancels out.

Obviously LR helps regardless, but I don't think it makes you look particularly less affirmative actiony because many law reviews do consider ethnic background (Most people won't know that yours didn't.) You should also probably be getting honors, which will help. Employers will know your grades. They will likely give you the same LR boost anyone gets.

And don't worry what other random people think. You know you deserve to be where you are. Focus on being a kickass lawyer and not on ignorant people's opinions.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm

It will help a ton. URM tends to cause firms to dip deeper for GPA requirements while LR tends to just cause you to be more successful at firms you were already in the ballpark for on GPA, from what I hear (i.e. LR alone won't often make a firm dip below its usual grade criteria). Combined, at a T10, and you should have a great OCI season. Exactly how great will be very hard to predict, but you're in a good spot - beyond that I don't know what more you expect TLS to be able to tell you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:40 pm

My GPA is in the honors range, but it fell since last semester (where I had 2x A+, two model answers out of 100+ class), this last semester just had severe family issues (terminal illness for parents), so the GPA plummeted; the exams were also classic minority killers. (our school keeps stats. certain profs routinely slam minorities, i.e. prof A average gives 3.35 to minorities and another gives 2.3 to minorities; and I got 1 of the latter. the URM GPA boost could not possibly compensate for what these profs do). So I am wondering how much of a GPA boost do URMs get? .2 or .3?

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:43 pm

:?:
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My GPA is in the honors range, but it fell since last semester (where I had 2x A+, two model answers out of 100+ class), this last semester just had severe family issues (terminal illness for parents), so the GPA plummeted; the exams were also classic minority killers. (our school keeps stats. certain profs routinely slam minorities, i.e. prof A average gives 3.35 to minorities and another gives 2.3 to minorities; and I got 1 of the latter. the URM GPA boost could not possibly compensate for what these profs do). So I am wondering how much of a GPA boost do URMs get? .2 or .3?
?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:My GPA is in the honors range, but it fell since last semester (where I had 2x A+, two model answers out of 100+ class), this last semester just had severe family issues (terminal illness for parents), so the GPA plummeted; the exams were also classic minority killers. (our school keeps stats. certain profs routinely slam minorities, i.e. prof A average gives 3.35 to minorities and another gives 2.3 to minorities; and I got 1 of the latter. the URM GPA boost could not possibly compensate for what these profs do). So I am wondering how much of a GPA boost do URMs get? .2 or .3?
All URMS get + .24 GPA points. It's in the NALP guidelines.

Also, way to out yourself as going to the one school that assigns blind grading numbers with racial identifiers attached.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:44 am

...What?? How could this even be possible...

Person

Bronze

Post by Person » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:54 am

I'm still shocked that there are T14 1L sections with more than 100 people o.O. Maybe Georgetown?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:25 am

disco_barred wrote:

Also, way to out yourself as going to the one school that assigns blind grading numbers with racial identifiers attached.
Is this true? What, the registrar adds this onto their overall GPA? Is there a link to this specific guideline?

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Is this true? What, the registrar adds this onto their overall GPA? Is there a link to this specific guideline?
It was a joke. But are there really T14 schools that don't do blind grading??

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:56 am

deneuve39 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

It was a joke. But are there really T14 schools that don't do blind grading??
Just the one that puts ethnic groups into different grading pools.

(Sarcasm mode deactivated: all law schools use completely blind grading, it's one of the most central and established aspects of law school. Blame (praise?) Mr. Langdell as usual).

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:57 am

Ah so the second anon user is different from the first one (I thought the 2nd was the OP).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 am

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:11 pm

I still want to know what a classic minority killing exam is...

Person

Bronze

Post by Person » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:15 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:This shouldn't be anonymous. :roll:
There is plenty of self-identifying stuff in this post. There is anon abuse on these forums, but this is not it.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:08 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Person wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:This shouldn't be anonymous. :roll:
There is plenty of self-identifying stuff in this post. There is anon abuse on these forums, but this is not it.
I'm talking about this:
My GPA is in the honors range, but it fell since last semester (where I had 2x A+, two model answers out of 100+ class), this last semester just had severe family issues (terminal illness for parents), so the GPA plummeted; the exams were also classic minority killers. (our school keeps stats. certain profs routinely slam minorities, i.e. prof A average gives 3.35 to minorities and another gives 2.3 to minorities; and I got 1 of the latter. the URM GPA boost could not possibly compensate for what these profs do). So I am wondering how much of a GPA boost do URMs get? .2 or .3?
The entire point of this forum is for people to anonymously post their stats. Are you a 0L? The legal and law student community is VERY small, posting that kind of information where it was tied to an online moniker could at least be a major breach of decorum and at worst be risky to your 'google footprint' as it were. I mean, it doesn't even matter if you like it or not, that's EXACTLY the kind of post that this forum is designed for.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:26 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
The entire point of this forum is for people to anonymously post their stats. Are you a 0L? The legal and law student community is VERY small, posting that kind of information where it was tied to an online moniker could at least be a major breach of decorum and at worst be risky to your 'google footprint' as it were. I mean, it doesn't even matter if you like it or not, that's EXACTLY the kind of post that this forum is designed for.
I'm not talking about the whole forum. :roll: The poster made a pretty unbelievable claim and didn't follow it up. I was referring specifically to the poster's claim that professors give different grades based on minority status. That's not what the anonymous function is suppose to protect.
Why would the OP out himself by following up an anonymous post with his actual username? Just drop it already.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

*devo*

New

Post by *devo* » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:13 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
RudeDudewithAttitude wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
I'm not talking about the whole forum. :roll: The poster made a pretty unbelievable claim and didn't follow it up. I was referring specifically to the poster's claim that professors give different grades based on minority status. That's not what the anonymous function is suppose to protect.
Why would the OP out himself by following up an anonymous post with his actual username? Just drop it already.
The moderators would reveal the poster. They do that when the anonymous function is abused. :roll:
Wow, you are annoying. Did a mod out the OP? No. So the anonymous function was not abused. End of story. And cool it with the eye rolls.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:24 pm

rando wrote:I still want to know what a classic minority killing exam is...
Uses the word "regatta."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”