Wall St. Hiring Picking Up Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Wall St. Hiring Picking Up

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:12 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/busin ... ndex.jsonp

Anyone think this foreshadows good things for legal hiring soon?

Sorry if this would be better off in the lounge; I wasn't quite sure whether to post it there or here.

rayiner

Platinum

Re: Wall St. Hiring Picking Up

Post by rayiner » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:16 pm

The increase in hiring and cautious optimism stand in sharp contrast to the mood among workers in other fields, where jobs have been slow to return or are disappearing altogether. Since June 2008 the number of jobs has shrunk by nearly 14 percent in manufacturing and by 22 percent in construction, but only by 8.5 percent in the financial industry nationwide.

It is also the opposite of what is going in other highly paid, white-collar professions like law, where employment nationwide in June was the lowest since late 2001, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
The increase in hiring and cautious optimism stand in sharp contrast to the mood among workers in other fields, where jobs have been slow to return or are disappearing altogether. Since June 2008 the number of jobs has shrunk by nearly 14 percent in manufacturing and by 22 percent in construction, but only by 8.5 percent in the financial industry nationwide.

It is also the opposite of what is going in other highly paid, white-collar professions like law, where employment nationwide in June was the lowest since late 2001, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Yes, but I wasn't asking about the current state of legal hiring, but rather if this foreshadows anything for the state of legal hiring in the near future.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yes, but I wasn't asking about the current state of legal hiring, but rather if this foreshadows anything for the state of legal hiring in the near future.
Could be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years, and never very much at that.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote: Yes, but I wasn't asking about the current state of legal hiring, but rather if this foreshadows anything for the state of legal hiring in the near future.
i had the same thought. i think the answer is that on a geological scale, yes, the legal market will certainly pick up soon. for the class of 2013.......nobody knows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:38 pm

jayn3 wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote: Yes, but I wasn't asking about the current state of legal hiring, but rather if this foreshadows anything for the state of legal hiring in the near future.
i had the same thought. i think the answer is that on a geological scale, yes, the legal market will certainly pick up soon. for the class of 2013.......nobody knows.
Grr. Will a ritual sacrifice to the law gods help? It's getting harder to delude myself into any sense of optimism with each passing day.

yourdreamtheater

New

Post by yourdreamtheater » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Firms aren't actually "picking up" hiring -- they're just correcting the over-firing during the recession.

JPMorgan's investment banking division, for one, is greatly understaffed. They aren't getting in as many deals as they did pre-2008, but they let too many people go.

A lot of the hires have also been in trading. The volatility in the markets as of late has been great for traders (like myself). Most of the top firms had zero days last quarter without making a profit in trading. That's where the money is, so that's where the jobs are.

Sorry to crush everyone's hopes

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”