School OCI Data Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: School OCI Data

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote: At many T2s (and even T1s too), giving the exact school name + # of interviews, law review etc. can sometimes be enough identifying information to out the poster. Keep in mind that T2s are usually all preselect and the number of interviews from one person to the next can vary so greatly that even providing such vague information might reveal one's identity.
A range would at least be nice. MVP is different than WUSTL/UIUC/ND, which is different than a school ranked 40-50. That would not identify anyone (not that being identified in relation to an anon post on TLS would somehow even matter in the first place).

I'm not saying I don't appreciate the OCI data and the anecdotes. I'm just saying it isn't particularly helpful without additional information. You might as well say, "I go to a law school, top 10%, LR" if you're going to just say T1.
I provided a range. HTH.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:02 pm

NYAssociate wrote:Well... technically... now that K&E is no longer in the V10... I guess you can say that 11 Michigan students placed in the V10 this summer. Still pathetic. I'm pretty sure Duke, UVA, and Penn burned them alive in placement.
got a little ax to burn there, eh friend? ;)

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:09 pm

doyleoil wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:Well... technically... now that K&E is no longer in the V10... I guess you can say that 11 Michigan students placed in the V10 this summer. Still pathetic. I'm pretty sure Duke, UVA, and Penn burned them alive in placement.
Maybe he doesn't like his roommate.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
None whatsoever. I just think Michigan should being doing better than it did. It was disappointing to see what happened.
As a Mich 2L who summered at a highly ranked vault firm (hence the anonymous, not interested in getting dragged into this), Michigan did do terrible in NY last year and it is a little puzzling. I do know several people who turned down V10 firms for one reason or another, but that wasn't the norm by any means.

I honestly think a lot of it was Michigan's OCS people who were absolutely freaking the fuck out last year at this time telling people to apply to mid-size firms in their hometown (anecdotal, without getting too specific since outing helpful anony posters seems to be a trend, I had good grades and a good journal membership and was told by an OCS employee to resume bomb my shit hole home state that lacks a major market because, "NY was hit hard, nobody is safe..."). Every chance they got they were telling people to avoid NY like the plague. Last year I don't even think enough people bid on Cravath for their interview schedule to get filled up. I bid exclusively on NY and was shocked to get interviews at basically all my top 20 choices because nobody else was bidding on V20 firms.

So while michigan's placement in NY was admittedly abysmal, there are more factors at play than merely Michigan's ability to 'place' into the V10 (those of us who ignored OCS's advice seemed to clean up pretty decently). Normally I wouldn't ever get involved in a debate like this, but for the nervous 2Ls reading this thread and getting freaked out, you should realize OCS is not necessarily giving you the greatest advice. Bid where you'll be a good fit and things will work out. Also, last year's OCI data is probably not worth worrying about.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 pm

bwv812 wrote:And speaking of this festering TTT, does anyone know the full story on Oblomov?
Anonymous User wrote:I honestly think a lot of it was Michigan's OCS people who were absolutely freaking the fuck out last year at this time telling people to apply to mid-size firms in their hometown (anecdotal, without getting too specific since outing helpful anony posters seems to be a trend, I had good grades and a good journal membership and was told by an OCS employee to resume bomb my shit hole home state that lacks a major market because, "NY was hit hard, nobody is safe..."). Every chance they got they were telling people to avoid NY like the plague. Last year I don't even think enough people bid on Cravath for their interview schedule to get filled up. I bid exclusively on NY and was shocked to get interviews at basically all my top 20 choices because nobody else was bidding on V20 firms.

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:55 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:so can somebody elaborate on reasons why emory oci was hit so hard in particular? i have 1L friends at uga law that were able to land big law summer jobs in dc and ny and they weren't around the top 10%, so i would think emory could at least be on par. is there some type of backlash due to that letter that ATL ran or what?
1L hiring doesn't mean anything.

Atlanta seems to really be hurting as a market, as is Charlotte. NY is actually Emory's largest market from what I understood, but if those firms aren't willing to travel down, what can you do?

Hope things work out for Emory people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 pm

wiseowl wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:so can somebody elaborate on reasons why emory oci was hit so hard in particular? i have 1L friends at uga law that were able to land big law summer jobs in dc and ny and they weren't around the top 10%, so i would think emory could at least be on par. is there some type of backlash due to that letter that ATL ran or what?

Atlanta seems to really be hurting as a market, as is Charlotte. NY is actually Emory's largest market from what I understood, but if those firms aren't willing to travel down, what can you do?

What makes you say Atlanta is really hurting? Kinda curious about that market, but hadn't heard much in terms of specifics.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 pm

jchoggan wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

What makes you say Atlanta is really hurting? Kinda curious about that market, but hadn't heard much in terms of specifics.
I guess it's not necessarily "hurting" so much as very difficult to penetrate. Very small summer classes, if any, and every Southerner that went to HYSCCN can parade home in a blaze of glory if they have legitimate regional ties and want to be there.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:53 pm

wiseowl wrote: I guess it's not necessarily "hurting" so much as very difficult to penetrate. Very small summer classes, if any, and every Southerner that went to HYSCCN can parade home in a blaze of glory if they have legitimate regional ties and want to be there.
The impression I get is that it's hurting. King /Spalding and Alston /Bird slashed summer classes along with other firms, IIRC.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:32 am

rad law wrote:
wiseowl wrote: I guess it's not necessarily "hurting" so much as very difficult to penetrate. Very small summer classes, if any, and every Southerner that went to HYSCCN can parade home in a blaze of glory if they have legitimate regional ties and want to be there.
The impression I get is that it's hurting. King /Spalding and Alston /Bird slashed summer classes along with other firms, IIRC.
Is this true of projected numbers for summer 2011 SA positions as well?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 am

jchoggan wrote:
rad law wrote:
Is this true of projected numbers for summer 2011 SA positions as well?
<<cautiously optimistic that they are going to increase.

DaveBear07

Bronze

Post by DaveBear07 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:10 am

I have been reading this thread with my mouth agape at Emory's numbers.

My gf is from Atlanta and we want to live there so the idea of Emory for cheap/free (171, 3.80) seemed like a great fit but this is terrifying.

This has really opened my eyes... and pointed them in the direction of the highest T-14 I can get into.... Wow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:24 am

DaveBear07 wrote:I have been reading this thread with my mouth agape at Emory's numbers.

My gf is from Atlanta and we want to live there so the idea of Emory for cheap/free (171, 3.80) seemed like a great fit but this is terrifying.

This has really opened my eyes... and pointed them in the direction of the highest T-14 I can get into.... Wow.
stay far, far away. i recommend going to a T2 over emory, looks like their numbers are better.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:20 am

DaveBear07 wrote:I have been reading this thread with my mouth agape at Emory's numbers.

Duke or UVA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:35 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:07 pm

I'm shocked at Emory's results as well. If everything on here and on abovethelaw.com is true, then it appears as though Tulane's OCI is fairing infinitely better than Emory's. Which is, once again, shocking to me. Especially once you factor in both Emory's and Tulane's off-campus interview programs, the locations of the two schools, and the almighty ranking of the two schools. I guess Emory's location is a double edged sword.

Also, I think I read somewhere in this thread that someone stated that Emory's primary market is NY.

lol wut?
wiseowl wrote: NY is actually Emory's largest market from what I understood
No.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm shocked at Emory's results as well. If everything on here and on abovethelaw.com is true, then it appears as though Tulane's OCI is fairing infinitely better than Emory's. Which is, once again, shocking to me. Especially once you factor in both Emory's and Tulane's off-campus interview programs, the locations of the two schools, and the almighty ranking of the two schools. I guess Emory's location is a double edged sword.

Also, I think I read somewhere in this thread that someone stated that Emory's primary market is NY.

lol wut?
wiseowl wrote: NY is actually Emory's largest market from what I understood
No.
I was told that when I toured there. Doesn't make it right, but I didn't pull it out of thin air. USNWR says GA is their most prevalent bar taken, at least in '09.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:59 pm

wiseowl wrote: I guess it's not necessarily "hurting" so much as very difficult to penetrate.
That's what she said.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:09 pm

wiseowl wrote: I was told that when I toured there. Doesn't make it right, but I didn't pull it out of thin air. USNWR says GA is their most prevalent bar taken, at least in '09.
I'm surprised they said that. They know it isn't true.
Kohinoor wrote:
wiseowl wrote: I guess it's not necessarily "hurting" so much as very difficult to penetrate.
That's what she said.
Classic

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:24 am

emory's "second round" of oci (in sept) is 5 employers. only one is a (midsize) firm. LOL.

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:emory's "second round" of oci (in sept) is 5 employers. only one is a (midsize) firm. LOL.
What accounts for the huge decrease from last year? If I recall (from some pdf posted a few weeks ago on this thread), last year had much more than 5 for september.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”