School OCI Data Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

School OCI Data

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Rising 2L at #22. Bidding has begun for on campus interviews in the fall, and we only have 39 firms coming to interview (not counting various branches/offices of the same firm) Is this a typical number of firms for OCI, or are we seriously lacking some potential employers here?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pocket herc

Bronze

Re: Only 39 law firms coming to OCI?!?

Post by pocket herc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:32 pm

lacking probably.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:33 pm

ouch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:35 pm

UVA has > 160 firms, down from maybe 210 in boom times (though after our second round of OGI, we might be closer to the 210 number).

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 pm

damn it that sucks....Hastings has ~120 employers, I think about 100 of those are firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm sure that's way down from the boom. Pretty much every school is down. With those numbers, I wouldn't count on OCI unless you are at the tip-top of the class.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UVA has > 160 firms, down from maybe 210 in boom times (though after our second round of OGI, we might be closer to the 210 number).
Think we have more students than most other schools though.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:48 pm

That seems way, way low. Perhaps the geographic location has done you some disservice? I have an inkling firms might not be inclined to travel too far this year to interview applicants. Makes me glad my school is in a huge city and that many recruiters can simply take a trip to HP for the afternoon to interview us all.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:49 pm

For those of us who don't want to look through this thread and like to compare/contrast, keeping in mind class sizes vary, some #s may include multiple rounds of OCI, etc etc, thus far:
CLS - 138 unique employers

NYU - 137 unique employers and 450 offices/employers overall

Boalt - 233 interviewers (including multiple offices) and around 132 unique employers, 20 of which are government or PI. ~140 distinct employers. Some of the employers with single entries are interviewing for "firm-wide" or "nation-wide" positions so who knows how many offices we're talking about. (Giving a conservative "5" offices to those, it somes to 523 offices). Probably a more important metric is 4941 2L interview slots (>16 slots per 2L if our class size goes up by 10 counting transfers and 100% participate). These numbers do not include quite a few resume-collection listings.

PENN -128 uniques. 242 offices

Michigan - There are officially 160 firms participating, and they are interviewing for a total of about 425 office locations (a lot of firms are interviewing for multiple offices). There are also maybe 50-60 firms right now that are not coming to OCI but that are collecting resumes from interested students.

UVA - 177 unique employers coming to campus, interviewing for 573 offices.

Duke - 122 individual employers (2 overlaps between round 1 and 2 that I could see). There are about 110 firms, and then some PI and gov't. I counted about 365 offices (including multiple offices)

NU – 155 employers.-4 government employers.- 33 multi-office listings.= 118 unique law firm employers. doesn't include the unique firms at regional recruitment

Cornell - 220-250 interviewers (including multiple offices). Cornell has ~118 individual employers which includes a handful or two of government/PI entities

Georgetown - 467 offices. Non-IP firms = about 110 individual employers. A few firms have been added or removed since then, and some have removed or added just an office or two, but that number is about right. There are 72 lines/offices represented for IP. I haven't counted the number of individual employers there are, but I'm guessing around 20-25.

Texas - 92 unique firms [plus 45 resume collects]. 277 firm offices [plus 105 resume collects]. 69 non-firm offices [53 of which are our friends at the IRS]

UCLA - 163 employers participating at the moment (didnt feel like counting the total offices), about 15-20 seem to just be resume collection.

Vandy - 82 unique employers

WUSTL - at about 85, not including off-camus programs. Round 1 - 66 law firms with ~20 of them being resume collects. The next round has 22 firms with ~10 resume collects. There are 2 more rounds to go. Firms participating in off-campus interviewing programs are not included. I don't think there has been any government/PI jobs included in the OCI so far

GW - ~121 unique employers at OCI (some do have the multiple bid options, but theres only like two firms with more than 5 or so--if you add the regional programs, its closer to 130-40 unique employers). Many bid options include a footnote with something like "no multiple interviews" which means that the OCI interviewer represents multiple offices. Oh, and yes, theres over 30 interview slots that are for "science/technical degrees" only.

Illinois - 40 unique employers on campus. 6 more at an off-campus interview program in Indy. 21 resume collects

Emory - 27 law firms coming to OCI, then another ~10 in its NY program, 1 in DC, and various resume collects.

ND - 39 firms coming to interview. 79 employment opportunities

IU – B - around the same as ND.

Wisconsin - 49 employers at OCI this fall (30 in phase one), plus a handful of firms "collecting resumes".

Fordham - 125 distinct employers coming, just in our first week. Nearly all are large firms. Counting interview opportunities for separate offices, and the handful asking for patent bar eligible students only, that number climbs to 202+

George Mason University - 38 total employers + 40 Resume collect

Hastings - 92 unique employers coming on campus.

UF - 32 unique employers coming to campus, 43 counting resume collects for EIW

Tulane - 36 employers at through round one. around 50-60 opportunities for on-campus recruiting total

Pepperdine – About 110 Unique Employers. About 200 other employers doing resume collects.

Case Western: 15 round early interview week. ~7 total for the next 2-3 rounds.

Loyola (Los Angeles) - has exactly 101 entries for Phases I and II (88 and 17). Some of these are resume forwards.

Houston - 90 employers (roughly 80 unique and a few with multiple locations)

University of Kentucky - 35 at OCI, of which 30 are firms. This does not include multiple locations, and many of the firms are hiring for at least 2-4 locations. This also does not include resume collections.

St. John's- 28 firms coming for OCI this year

Catholic - 22 OCI; 21 Resume Collect; 11 New Hampshire Interview Program; 6 Boston Interview Program

Southwestern - has 8 entries for Phase I.

Suffolk - 32 employers at the OCIs, plus 2 fellowship programs. 11 at off campus recruiting. 6 doing resume collection. 13 in SEND DIRECT. 4 through the Massachusetts Law School Consortium's National Recruitment Program.

Toledo College of Law - 11 accepting apps; 2 attending OCI

UCI - in the 30's. 40's if you count resume collection
Edited to add new info. Help fill in the blanks if you can!
Last edited by holydonkey on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:53 pm

OP here. If I count every single entity (for example, Bryan Cave has Atlanta, Irvine, NYC , Chicago, Kansas City, LA etc. offices coming) that puts us at 77.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Are you sure you are not just looking at one round? A lot of schools have multiple rounds of OCI on their Symplicity page, and the firms for each can be listed separately.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Bosque wrote:Are you sure you are not just looking at one round? A lot of schools have multiple rounds of OCI on their Symplicity page, and the firms for each can be listed separately.
This. WUSTL has 62 unique employers (about 15 of which are only collecting resumes) listed for the first round of OCI with 2 more rounds of OCI to go. However, the CSO has said that the later rounds will have fewer employers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:11 pm

OP Here. I'm counting all rounds (actually, I forgot the last round which only has 2- JAG). So I guess that would bring it up to 79.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:13 pm

This thread helps prove my theory that ITE is worse on WUSTL/ND/BC/BU/GW tier schools than anyone else. The reduction at T14s has not been nearly so drastic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:14 pm

NYU has 137 unique employers and 450 offices/employers overall.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:30 pm

RVP11 wrote:This thread helps prove my theory that ITE is worse on WUSTL/ND/BC/BU/GW tier schools than anyone else. The reduction at T14s has not been nearly so drastic.
I would modify this conclusion, though I don't think it's wrong. Our reduction in firms coming to OCI was not as drastic as that seen at ND. It seems to me that ITE is hardest on non T14 schools not located in major markets. Firms have to send people approximately 3/8 of a mile for them to interview at Fordham. I would think firms wouldn't make longer journeys (excluding visits to top schools) if they didn't plan on hiring more than one or two people. On one hand, it's possibly a waste of time for us to interview with firms that have just come to keep up appearances, but on the other hand, any chance to make a favorable impression on an employer can only be a good thing.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:36 pm

God.. at first I was looking forward to September to get these apps out and cut down some stress.. the closer I get though, the more the reality of this economy is getting to me. $5 to the first person that finds legit good economic news.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NYU has 137 unique employers and 450 offices/employers overall.
Is this good/bad compared to years past?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:50 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NYU has 137 unique employers and 450 offices/employers overall.
Is this good/bad compared to years past?
1) UVA is >160 employers and >550 "offices" (due in no small part to the IRS listing like 7,000,000 field offices, thanks for that).

2) Many schools have multiple rounds of interviews, but the big boys tend to be at the first, which often even gets its very own acronym (see, e.g., EIP at NYU and others).

3) Some schools have historically placed more broadly than others. UVA casts a very wide geographic net, and sends comparatively fewer students to the mega NYC firms. Those mega NYC firms, however, each hired several, maybe even dozens of NYU students. Schools like NYU and Columbia rely on placing large numbers of students into each corporate mega-death V10 / V20 firm in NYC much more so than schools like UVA or Berkeley. Just something to keep in mind in this comparison, NYU has probably always had fewer employers but placed as well if not better than UVA.

4) Based on the data available to me (#of interviews now vs. historically at several schools), another hypothesis: Much like RVP11 speculates the downturn hurt worse outside of the top schools, the data suggest the biggest/best firms are doing better and interviewing more than the mid-range Vault firms and tails of the NLJ 250. I think that this year we'll see larger class sizes at your 'average' V25 firm, but perhaps stagnant or smaller class sizes down the line. (Picking V25 fully aware of the arbitrary nature of the vault rankings and of picking the number 25. My point is that the available work seems to be rising to the best firms). This will help people who aren't targeting the fancy firms, because the fancy firms will absorb people who last year had to start looking 'down' the list, but I think the biggest hiring increase will be at 'top' firms.

5) NY to 190!11!

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote: 5) NY to 190!11!
I knew it.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote: 5) NY to 190!11!
It makes a lovely benediction, even if we won't live to see it happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:30 pm

That does seem very low... how many did Notre Dame have last year, OP?

And for everybody... how important is it to get a job at OCI? Do you think it works to send resumes to firms? I'm considering ND right now, but Kansas City, and I highly doubt most firms would see it as worth their time to visit campus. Rather, I'd think they'd be more interested in resume collection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:34 pm

49 employers at Wisco's OCI this fall (30 in phase one), plus a handful of firms "collecting resumes".

:cry:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bosque wrote:Are you sure you are not just looking at one round? A lot of schools have multiple rounds of OCI on their Symplicity page, and the firms for each can be listed separately.
This. WUSTL has 62 unique employers (about 15 of which are only collecting resumes) listed for the first round of OCI with 2 more rounds of OCI to go. However, the CSO has said that the later rounds will have fewer employers.
*Shudder*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:49 pm

UCI is only like in the 30's. 40's if you count resume collection. I guess that's not bad considering no more than 50 people will be participating, but still pretty low. Now I don't know what to think. :?:

Edit: Added resume collecting information, eliminated quote, spelling.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”