Why (insert firm)--Points to focus on in an interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why (insert firm)--Points to focus on in an interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:53 pm

I have a mock interview with an alum from my school tomorrow and I have to treat the interview as though I was actually interviewing with his firm. I'm counting on having to answer the "Why (his firm)?" question tomorrow (and in the future) and am wondering what kinds of points I should focus on. I've researched the firm, but am not sure what to bring up when I answer this question to make my answer as compelling as I can.

If anyone could give me any guidance, I'd really appreciate it!

Person

Re: Why (insert firm)--Points to focus on in an interview?

Postby Person » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Yeah, I struggle with this too. I think it comes easier the more you realize what you want out of a legal job. Then try to see what more you need to know about the firm in order to see if there is a match. Then figure out which of these things are appropriate to ask in an interview (e.g. not how many holidays do I get, no matter how important this is to you).

If you are really coming up blank, see what they did not answer on their website that other places talk about on theirs, and then ask about that. YOU MUST ASK SOMETHING THOUGH!!! And it has to be non-generic is possible.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:42 pm

NYAssociate wrote:1) What practice area you want to work in and how good the firm is at it.
2) The training programs.
3) The particular assignment, department rotation system the firm uses.
4) Interesting cases the firm seems to handle.
5) Positive cultural stereotypes the firm seems to be associates with (being a lifestyle firm is not one of them)

There are probably more, but the above gives some good starting points.

Gold. Thank you!

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 pm

That you enjoy the fact they offer car service.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Something to keep in mind i had a partner come to me one day after OCI interviews at my school to talk to me about his experience (I knew him personally and was clerking from him at the time). basically he said something like this: The whole day I listened to people tell me about how great it would be for THEM to work for us all the benefits THEY would have if they came here, all I wanted was one person to tell me how great it would be for US to have them here. All the interviewees seemed to care about was what our firm could do for their careers, not what they as lawyers could do for our firm."

Just something to think about.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Matthies wrote:Something to keep in mind i had a partner come to me one day after OCI interviews at my school to talk to me about his experience (I knew him personally and was clerking from him at the time). basically he said something like this: The whole day I listened to people tell me about how great it would be for THEM to work for us all the benefits THEY would have if they came here, all I wanted was one person to tell me how great it would be for US to have them here. All the interviewees seemed to care about was what our firm could do for their careers, not what they as lawyers could do for our firm."

No offense, Matthies, but this is one in a series of silly posts you've made. It is absolutely good for an OCI candidate to demonstrate knowledge of and interest in a specific firm, especially in this economy. Firms want to know why they're a good fit for a student.

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:01 pm

NYAssociate wrote:1) What practice area you want to work in and how good the firm is at it.
2) The training programs.
3) The particular assignment, department rotation system the firm uses.
4) Interesting cases the firm seems to handle.
5) Positive cultural stereotypes the firm seems to be associates with (being a lifestyle firm is not one of them)

There are probably more, but the above gives some good starting points.

Good advice. I'll second (5). I had a friend who interviewed with 8 firms in a row and questioned them about their lifestyle. No callbacks. Not sure if that was due to other factors, but you're not going to a big law firm for the lifestyle.

I mentioned in my interviews that I liked the firm's strength in X, Y, and Z areas because I wanted to work in those areas. (Note: those areas were never corporate.) Another effective reason was to state that I had talked to [summer associate] or [associate alumnus of my school] who spoke highly of the firm.

The big law firms never cared about what I could give them, and frankly, I'm pretty worthless aside from showing up and looking pretty.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:08 pm

mallard wrote:
Matthies wrote:Something to keep in mind i had a partner come to me one day after OCI interviews at my school to talk to me about his experience (I knew him personally and was clerking from him at the time). basically he said something like this: The whole day I listened to people tell me about how great it would be for THEM to work for us all the benefits THEY would have if they came here, all I wanted was one person to tell me how great it would be for US to have them here. All the interviewees seemed to care about was what our firm could do for their careers, not what they as lawyers could do for our firm."

No offense, Matthies, but this is one in a series of silly posts you've made. It is absolutely good for an OCI candidate to demonstrate knowledge of and interest in a specific firm, especially in this economy. Firms want to know why they're a good fit for a student.

I think what Matthies is saying is that you should do both at the same time. ie - "I'm extremely interested in this aspect of Firm X, because of these prior experiences, which will be of direct benefit to the firm if you decide to hire me." Don't forget, an interview is about selling yourself, something you should be doing at every opportunity throughout the interview. Keep the focus on you and your awesomeness.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:22 pm

danidancer wrote:
mallard wrote:

I think what Matthies is saying is that you should do both at the same time. ie - "I'm extremely interested in this aspect of Firm X, because of these prior experiences, which will be of direct benefit to the firm if you decide to hire me." Don't forget, an interview is about selling yourself, something you should be doing at every opportunity throughout the interview. Keep the focus on you and your awesomeness.

The point is that Matthies's fun anecdote about a conversation with a law partner (at what firm, by the way?) is not really relevant to a lot of people's OCIs and goes directly against what I've heard at every OCI event at Harvard. You should absolutely tell the firm why you are interested and make it compelling - your interest is a selling point in and of itself.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:29 pm

mallard wrote:
danidancer wrote:
mallard wrote:

The point is that Matthies's fun anecdote about a conversation with a law partner (at what firm, by the way?) is not really relevant to a lot of people's OCIs and goes directly against what I've heard at every OCI event at Harvard. You should absolutely tell the firm why you are interested and make it compelling - your interest is a selling point in and of itself.

See above what i meant. You need to do both, which i know is a novel thing not to tell everyone how special you are. You can anfd should both tell a firm why you like them so much, and what you can do them.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:29 pm

mallard wrote:
danidancer wrote:
mallard wrote:

I agree with Mallard, but to be fair interest in a firm is a stronger selling point at Harvard than most other law schools.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Matthies wrote: See above what i meant. You need to do both, which i know is a novel thing not to tell everyone how special you are. You can anfd should both tell a firm why you like them so much, and what you can do them.

As I understand it, if you're in a strong position grade-wise coming from a top school, you don't need to bother telling hiring partners "I'm really detail-oriented! I'm really competent! I'm a really great communicator!"

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:34 pm

mallard wrote:
danidancer wrote:
mallard wrote:

And see Mallard this is where you and I differ, i speak about things I have actually done and see in an effort to help other folks understand a process they have not been through. By giving examples from things i have seen/done. You just talk out of ass about shit you have not done as an expert and to pump yourself up. You want to call me on the carpet that's fine, but you know, most folks don't go to your school, and for most folks what you think, or Harvard thinks, does not cut it in the non-candyland real world out there. Jump my shit fine, but at least back it up with some helpful posts at some time on here instead of just liking your own balls any chace you get at my expense.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:36 pm

mallard wrote:
Matthies wrote: See above what i meant. You need to do both, which i know is a novel thing not to tell everyone how special you are. You can anfd should both tell a firm why you like them so much, and what you can do them.

As I understand it, if you're in a strong position grade-wise coming from a top school, you don't need to bother telling hiring partners "I'm really detail-oriented! I'm really competent! I'm a really great communicator!"

And how many top school are there? And where did the OP say he went to one?

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Matthies wrote:
mallard wrote:

Okay, I came on too strong in this thread. But I think it's important to remember that different interviewing strategies are appropriate at different levels or at different kinds of firms (for example, if this is a firm that focuses on civil rights or pro-labor litigation, it will be absolutely essential to communicate interest and commitment to the causes). I'm just taking issue with the idea that "you need to do both," and with the belligerent air of your comment about "tell[ing] everyone how special you are."

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 pm

mallard wrote:
Matthies wrote:
mallard wrote:

Okay, I came on too strong in this thread. But I think it's important to remember that different interviewing strategies are appropriate at different levels or at different kinds of firms (for example, if this is a firm that focuses on civil rights or pro-labor litigation, it will be absolutely essential to communicate interest and commitment to the causes). I'm just taking issue with the idea that "you need to do both," and with the belligerent air of your comment about "tell[ing] everyone how special you are."

I don't disagree with you at all that diffrent types of inverviews need diffrent stagrgies. nor do i disagree with what your saying from your standpoint, but few sit where you do. Your at harvard, the only persona a firm wants more than you is a Yallie. You don't need to sell yourself, odds are good the firm needs you more than you need it. that is not true for the vast magority of law stdundets. Frims want to know you have done your homework on them, but if the name on your degree is not enough for them to justfiying hiring you alone, then htey also want to know what you can do for them. Its an employers market out there for most law stduenst these days.

Every firm should feel like tthey are your special little snowflake when you can't gargntee to walk out of a week of OCI without a single offer. It certainly won't hurt to sell yourself some in a one on one interview, when that is harder to do on paper. You don't have to suck up, but you should be bale to say I see you guys do X, I'm intrsted in X, I;ve taken thses course related to X, in my journal work I done Y realted to X, I'd really like to be on the cutting edge of X blah. You can and should tie both in without coming off as fake, if your interviewing with them becuase you want to work for them then you should tie in both what they do, and what you want to do, and how you can help them do it.
Last edited by Matthies on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotANoob

Postby NotANoob » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 pm

mallard wrote:

It's good that you posted this, because I think this attitude is fairly common, but horribly misguided.

Matthies is absolutely correct in his assessment. A trap most law students fall into the is the "me, me, me" interviewing syndrome. The fact that you think he is wrong because it is "good for an OCI candidate to demonstrate knowledge of and interest in a specific firm" is paradigmatic of the problem law students tend to have in OCI interviews. This isn't an either/or proposition. The key is demonstrate your knowledge about a firm by showing what you will offer them.

There are two things you want to get across in an interview. First, that you are excited about that particular firm. Second, that they should be excited about you. The second piece is the one that is either skipped or handled inartfully or with considerable arrogance far too often. The way to do this in a positive way is to pair what you like about the firm with experience or skills you bring to the table.

The interview should not be about why they are a good fit to you, at least not without an equal dose of why you would be a good fit for them. Talk about what you like about a firm in a way that demonstrates that you have the skills and the personality to contribute to that legacy. As many statements/answers should have this ying/yang as possible.

For example:
I am interested in your firm because your collaborative atmosphere.
Some interviewees end here. Some go a bit further.
I have found that I work best in an environment where people are comfortable working together and drawing from each others' experiences.
This is the "all about me" answer. Keep going.
I noticed last summer/in my past job that being able to ask a question during critical junctures of my work could prevent me from spending hours going down the wrong path. I also found that I was able to deliver the type of work product my supervisor was looking for much more efficiently by checking in through out the process. This experience has shaped what type of dynamic I am looking for in a firm, since I know how important for firms to find associates that will integrate well into their culture.

Same with practice groups or any other thing you might be thinking of to show that you are interested in a particular firm. The better answer almost always includes the follow-up, whether implicit or explicit, of why they should want you and what you will bring them. (And the best way to do this sometimes is subtlety. You don't need to preface everything with a "hey I'm selling myself" flag. Just discussing relevant experiences you have had and skills you have gained (which just happen to coincide with those needed by good attorneys) can go a long way.)

The short answer is, the pot of students who will be able to show that a particular firm is a good fit for them will far exceed the number of offers that will be extended. In this economy you need to show why you are fit for them.
Last edited by NotANoob on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Matthies wrote: Every firm should feel like tthey are your special little snowflake when you can't gargntee to walk out of a week of OCI without a single offer. It certainly won't hurt to sell yourself some in a one on one interview, when that is harder to do on paper. You don't have to suck up, but you should be bale to say I see you guys do X, I'm intrsted in X, I;ve taken thses course related to X, in my journal work I done Y realted to X, I'd really like to be on the cutting edge of X blah. You can and should tie both in without coming off as fake, if your interviewing with them becuase you want to work for them then you should tie in both what they do, and what you want to do, and how you can help them do it.

This is exactly what I think you should do as well. Like I said, the fact that you're interested (as evidenced by your journal work, study abroad, clinical, pre-LS experience, 1L internship, etc.) will help in and of itself. I don't think we're actually disagreeing! :D

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:56 pm

mallard wrote:
Matthies wrote:
mallard wrote:

haha, i just re-read this, i did not mean tell people in the INETRVIEW how special you are, i meant it was a novel thing for Mallrad not to do it with out me having to tell you to do it. :P

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:58 pm

LOL. Well then! :D

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:19 pm

NotANoob wrote:
mallard wrote:

It's good that you posted this, because I think this attitude is fairly common, but horribly misguided.

Matthies is absolutely correct in his assessment. A trap most law students fall into the is the "me, me, me" interviewing syndrome. The fact that you think he is wrong because it is "good for an OCI candidate to demonstrate knowledge of and interest in a specific firm" is paradigmatic of the problem law students tend to have in OCI interviews. This isn't an either/or proposition. The key is demonstrate your knowledge about a firm by showing what you will offer them.

There are two things you want to get across in an interview. First, that you are excited about that particular firm. Second, that they should be excited about you. The second piece is the one that is either skipped or handled inartfully or with considerable arrogance far too often. The way to do this in a positive way is to pair what you like about the firm with experience or skills you bring to the table.

A mentor told me once that the basic skill you learn in law school for answer exam questions is the basic premis you use in everything from writing memos, to persuading a judge, to selling yourself in an interview. You start with a premise: The D is guilty of murder ...(or an issue) and then you provide the rule and then the WHY based on the FACTS. You don't just tell them, you SHOW them why the premise is what you say it is using the facts you have to demsotrate that.

So in an interview you say I want to work for you because you all have a great environmental practice and have done some of the largest water law cases in the state. (my premise I want to work for YOU) I was on an environmental law review. I wrote an article about Jones vs. Day on the issue of X and Y in water rights. I've been a member of the bar water law subcommittee in for Z years. I've written a few seminar papers on this or that emerging issue in water law. I'd like to part of your firm because i know your heavily involved in the water law community and on the cutting edge of establishing new trends and I'd like to continue my research, comminutey involvement and publications while with your firm (so here is WHy I want to work for you and WHY I am the best candidate for you by showing you what i plan to do for YOU that others won't or may not metion)

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Matthies wrote:
So in an interview you say I want to work for you because you all have a great environmental practice and have done some of the largest water law cases in the state. (my premise I want to work for YOU) I was on an environmental law review. I wrote an article about Jones vs. Day on the issue of X and Y in water rights. I've been a member of the bar water law subcommittee in for Z years. I've written a few seminar papers on this or that emerging issue in water law. I'd like to part of your firm because i know your heavily involved in the water law community and on the cutting edge of establishing new trends and I'd like to continue my research, comminutey involvement and publications while with your firm (so here is WHy I want to work for you and WHY I am the best candidate for you by showing you what i plan to do for YOU that others won't or may not metion)

While this sounds like great advice for a lateral or perhaps even a 3L, most rising 2Ls have not yet had the opportunity to engage in the type of activities that you consider to be showing a demonstrated interest. My 1L curriculum was entirely mandatory, and no journal participation is allowed until 2L year begins (a week after OCI ends). Notwithstanding any relevant 1L internship, the most people in my position can "offer" a firm at 2L OCI is something like "zOMG I got a bunch of As in a reasonably decent law school. This SHOWS that I'm at least not both stupid and lazy." I think steve_nash's post above speaks to that.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:59 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:04 pm

NotANoob wrote:tl;dr

This is a basically semantic or aesthetic point at best and a non sequitur at worst. Most interviewers for all types of jobs don't need to know that "fit" is important because it's "important for firms to find associates that will integrate well into their culture," and in fact most people I know in biglaw would bristle at the notion that an interviewee thinks he can make a judgment as to what's important for firms. The "keep going" in your example is basically filler bullshit added on to an elucidation of the earlier points. Of course it's good not to say merely "I'll be able to fit in" but "I'll be able to contribute," too, but with a lot of other things about firms (specific partners and practice areas, training programs, rotation system, interesting cases in the firm's history, etc.) there's no real way to turn it around like this. If your general point was that it's good to flesh out what you say with examples, then I agree with NYAssociate's post above, of course.

Return to “Legal Employment”