How difficultis it to get a PD/DA job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

How difficultis it to get a PD/DA job?

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:58 pm

Just wondering. I am attending a higher up T2 that dominates a secondary market with basically no competition. If I am set on wanting to be a DA (and if I cant get a ADA position I will take a PD position), are those still hard to get? I have read enough about firm jobs but still dont know how it affects jobs such as PDs and ADAs that a lot of the time people didn't even when the economy was good.

Matthies

Re: How difficultis it to get a PD/DA job?

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:14 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Just wondering. I am attending a higher up T2 that dominates a secondary market with basically no competition. If I am set on wanting to be a DA (and if I cant get a ADA position I will take a PD position), are those still hard to get? I have read enough about firm jobs but still dont know how it affects jobs such as PDs and ADAs that a lot of the time people didn't even when the economy was good.

I'm in secdary market, went to a T2 school and have a few classmates who are Das or PDs. Every sin gle one that I know personally got the job after interning there both summer AND during 3L year. I don't know anyone who just applied and got a job as a DA/PD (there may have been some, but not that I know personally). The other big thing, at least for the PDs, was your ablity to relocate. Here the PD si state wide, so if you were willing to move to a msaller twon for placemnt (and interneted as described above) you went to the top of the list. that's all i can tell you about PD/DA from my experince.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:14 pm

I heard that there are a lot hiring freezes right now, so I think it's pretty difficult. Also, everyone who can't get biglaw is trying to fall back on these jobs, so there's a lot of competition right now especially. With that said, I don't think it particularly matters that you are going to a T2. The only DA's office that I'm aware of that actually cares about what school you go to is Manhattan.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:36 pm

You have to look into whether your state has a hiring freeze and you have to look into how often they hire new grads.

The turnover in my state, between hiring freezes and no one moving elsewhere since there are no jobs = no one in the graduating class above me (2010) has landed a DA/PD job. Not one. Several friends in my class are repeat interns at the local DA office. Remains to be seen whether they will get jobs when we graduate.

You also need to internship every single summer of your law school career and you should try to continue interning throughout 2L and 3L school year. Given the competition, this is the only reasonable way to have a strong shot. Just show them your complete commitment and hopefully they will reward that.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I was told that the "intern every summer thing" wasn't true and that 2L and 3L during the year is fine. Is that bad info?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:25 pm

A'nold wrote:I was told that the "intern every summer thing" wasn't true and that 2L and 3L during the year is fine. Is that bad info?

Here is was bascilly you needed to do more than just summer, how you split that did not seem to matter so long as you had a year's worth of solid time there, the closer to you graduating the better. While we have a state hiring freeze to some degree, it has not effected DA/PD as much becuase the state did a bond thing a few years ago and has funding the justuce area a bit diffrently. Guess it all depends on the state. I know the state AG office is hiriing here pretty regualrly, at least 6-5 new posting in the last 2 weeks. All this will depend on your state. Local bar assn is a good source for this info, at least here.

Note: this also might depend on if you state allows law stduents to do cases (only at DA/PD) ours does, so after a year of interning you have a number of cases under your belt and they have had time to review how you do. Might be very diffrent in states that don't allow law students to practice like that.

Return to “Legal Employment”