0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
jigsaw22
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby jigsaw22 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. If you don't have a job in hand by your 2L summer, does that basically mean that you won't have one when you graduate?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:16 pm

BaronDetroit wrote:My basic premise is that any passing student from any ABA accredited school gets the exact same benefits arising out of a J.D.


This is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever said on TLS. I'm not even kidding. That's quite an honor, congratulations.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:26 pm

jigsaw22 wrote:Thanks for the replies. If you don't have a job in hand by your 2L summer, does that basically mean that you won't have one when you graduate?


No, not necessarily, but only certain employers (read larger firms, some government jobs) will hire permently you before you pass the bar. So for most, if you don't get a firm offer your 2L summer, you won't really be marketable again until you have bar results. There are some exceptions to this, but basically the majority of employers don't hire out a year or even six months, so they don't tend to want to interview you until they know you can start, which usually means after you have passed the bar.

Hence why employment at graduation and employment after 9 months stats mean different things. You graduate in may, take the bar end of July and it can be October or later until you find out if you passed or not. In between you can clerk, but again you're not likely to get a permate offer even where your clerking until, or contingent upon, you passing he bar.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:My basic premise is that any passing student from any ABA accredited school gets the exact same benefits arising out of a J.D.


This is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever said on TLS. I'm not even kidding. That's quite an honor, congratulations.


+1 Romo. But man, I have heard that SO many times. So many people are just in the dark about realistic job prospects. It's scary.

EDIT: 400th post. [translated: I need to get off TLS NOW, lol]

User avatar
Captain Jack
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby Captain Jack » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:34 pm

If you finish below median and fail to get a job, you suffer castration through vagina dentata.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:38 pm

.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you finish below median and fail to get a job, you suffer castration through vagina dentata.


Fail anonymous post is fail.
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:41 pm

..

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Why not reveal who they are as well?

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:46 pm

.

BaronDetroit
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby BaronDetroit » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:My basic premise is that any passing student from any ABA accredited school gets the exact same benefits arising out of a J.D.


This is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever said on TLS. I'm not even kidding. That's quite an honor, congratulations.



You need to check out Rule 8 as interpreted by Bell Atlantic/ Iqbal... above median grades and a supposedly 'prestigious' school gives you no plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment. In that respect, any passing student from any ABA accredited school equates to the exact same benefits arising out of a legal education.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:49 pm

.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:50 pm

PKSebben wrote:My ban warning was to stop the work of unmasking anonymous posters. Your identity is not readily available to mods unless we do some quick investigating that takes a couple clicks. This is a pretty good deterrent for us looking at the name behind all the posts -- even though we could (and some might) totally do that at our discretion. It's just one click to ban and like three clicks to out. I'm trying to conserve time right now. See, e.g., the upcoming bar exam. :)


Point well taken. :D

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:51 pm

BaronDetroit wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:My basic premise is that any passing student from any ABA accredited school gets the exact same benefits arising out of a J.D.


This is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever said on TLS. I'm not even kidding. That's quite an honor, congratulations.



You need to check out Rule 8 as interpreted by Bell Atlantic/ Iqbal... above median grades and a supposedly 'prestigious' school gives you no plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment. In that respect, any passing student from any ABA accredited school equates to the exact same benefits arising out of a legal education.


If this isn't a time for this video, I don't know what is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:53 pm

.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:03 pm

PKSebben wrote:
You need to check out Rule 8 as interpreted by Bell Atlantic/ Iqbal


I'm going to open every retort on TLS with this absolute gem.


Image

It's so funny because it's not! oOH Hoo Oh!

BaronDetroit
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby BaronDetroit » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:39 pm

C'mon...I just gave a fair, thoughtful and balanced response with a FRCP Rule that was on point and cited 2 cases. Yet, the other side here still wants to make this (in my view) ridiculous claim that numbers on a transcript or a name of a school equates to a plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment arising out of a legal education.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:55 pm

.

User avatar
steve_nash
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby steve_nash » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 pm

BaronDetroit wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:My basic premise is that any passing student from any ABA accredited school gets the exact same benefits arising out of a J.D.


This is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever said on TLS. I'm not even kidding. That's quite an honor, congratulations.



You need to check out Rule 8 as interpreted by Bell Atlantic/ Iqbal... above median grades and a supposedly 'prestigious' school gives you no plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment. In that respect, any passing student from any ABA accredited school equates to the exact same benefits arising out of a legal education.


HA. I like.

User avatar
hi_im_josh
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby hi_im_josh » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:24 pm

My basic premise is that any passing student from any ABA accredited school gets the exact same benefits arising out of a J.D.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:30 pm

PKSebben wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:C'mon...I just gave a fair, thoughtful and balanced response with a FRCP Rule that was on point and cited 2 cases. Yet, the other side here still wants to make this (in my view) ridiculous claim that numbers on a transcript or a name of a school equates to a plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment arising out of a legal education.


Please explain how federal pleading standards are applicable to your argument. I really think you are flame, but you post from an AOL IP address, and your previous posts are about which TTT you should attend. I just can't figure you out, mang.


I think, and I'm surely no civil procedure expert, but the argument me might be trying to make is that after Iqbal (successor to Bell Atlantic aka twombly) is no longer limited to anti-trust, but any competition claim.

Here he seems to be arguing that if someone was to claim "entilment" to a legal job based on grades/school it would have to be proven as fact that an ABA JD degree entitles one to something more because of school/grades than otherwise. Which can't be proven as fact for a Rule 8 pleading, and would, I guess, he is trying to assert would be a legal allegation and therefore not well pleaded?

That's about the only argument, competion/fact/legal concussion i could draw from citing the cases and Rule 8 as to the "Yet, the other side here still wants to make this (in my view) ridiculous claim that numbers on a transcript or a name of a school equates to a plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment arising out of a legal education."

Its not the argument i would make, but again civ pro ain't my thing. Lets talk about something everyone enjoys like NEPA.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:32 pm

BaronDetroit wrote:C'mon...I just gave a fair, thoughtful and balanced response with a FRCP Rule that was on point and cited 2 cases. Yet, the other side here still wants to make this (in my view) ridiculous claim that numbers on a transcript or a name of a school equates to a plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment arising out of a legal education.


--ImageRemoved--

So you're telling me I just pack up my dreams of going to Harvard and head to Florida Costal? That I'd be equally as likely to get a high-caliber entry level job?

Oh, and you've yet to answer my answer on federal clerkships, I think:

You're to tell me that if I go to a TTT, I can waltz into the Supreme Court and get a federal clerkship and be taken seriously?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby Matthies » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:34 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:C'mon...I just gave a fair, thoughtful and balanced response with a FRCP Rule that was on point and cited 2 cases. Yet, the other side here still wants to make this (in my view) ridiculous claim that numbers on a transcript or a name of a school equates to a plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment arising out of a legal education.


--ImageRemoved--

So you're telling me I just pack up my dreams of going to Harvard and head to Florida Costal? That I'd be equally as likely to get a high-caliber entry level job?

Oh, and you've yet to answer my answer on federal clerkships, I think:

You're to tell me that if I go to a TTT, I can waltz into the Supreme Court and get a federal clerkship and be taken seriously?


See above, I think he's trying to make an entiliment claim, i.e. your not entilted to anything becuase you went to X. At least that's the only logical arguemnt I can see.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Matthies wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:C'mon...I just gave a fair, thoughtful and balanced response with a FRCP Rule that was on point and cited 2 cases. Yet, the other side here still wants to make this (in my view) ridiculous claim that numbers on a transcript or a name of a school equates to a plausible entitlement to relief in terms of employment arising out of a legal education.


--ImageRemoved--

So you're telling me I just pack up my dreams of going to Harvard and head to Florida Costal? That I'd be equally as likely to get a high-caliber entry level job?

Oh, and you've yet to answer my answer on federal clerkships, I think:

You're to tell me that if I go to a TTT, I can waltz into the Supreme Court and get a federal clerkship and be taken seriously?


See above, I think he's trying to make an entiliment claim, i.e. your not entilted to anything becuase you went to X. At least that's the only logical arguemnt I can see.


Yeah, it was a cross post.

I can see how somebody could think that - but under the same reasoning, my UG makes me eligible to attend Harvard - regardless of grades and LSAT which as we all know is a crock pot way of looking at things.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 0L here--what happens to those that finish below median?

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 pm

.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.