top 15% at gw... oci?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

top 15% at gw... oci?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:17 pm

any idea of range of firms i should be looking at? looking to go into patent law at a large, gp firm...

Bankhead

Re: top 15% at gw... oci?

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Whoa, top 15% with technical background? Finnegan or Fish.

Norlan

Postby Norlan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:30 pm

I want to know too, please someone bring in some clues..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:51 pm

op here... a bit more info. i have an engineering degree from a top undergrad but with mediocre grades (the less than steller ugrad grades probably kill my chances at places like finnegan/fish/oblon/kenyon etc.). i also think i'm on the bottom end of the 1-15% and will probably not make the law review.

also - i was admitted to gulc ea. do you think a transfer there would be worth it or would it be better to stay put at gw? half the people i talk to say i should considering i'm not getting any money from gw and they won't negotiate at all, the other half say it would be a terrible mistake to transfer unless i was going to a t5 and was sure i didn't want to be in DC.

thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Is your engineering background desirable (= EE/CE)?

I had better grades at a T14, but with an undesirable engineering background, and didn't get preselects from Finnegan and Kenyon (but did from Fish). I think they're worth a bid, but you're not a lock.

Unless you're an EE, I'd focus on less selective V100 firms with IP litigation practices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is your engineering background desirable (= EE/CE)?

I had better grades at a T14, but with an undesirable engineering background, and didn't get preselects from Finnegan and Kenyon (but did from Fish). I think they're worth a bid, but you're not a lock.

Unless you're an EE, I'd focus on less selective V100 firms with IP litigation practices.

thanks for the reply. i am a EE... if you don't mind me asking, how'd you end up doing at OCI?

thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is your engineering background desirable (= EE/CE)?

thanks for the reply. i am a EE... if you don't mind me asking, how'd you end up doing at OCI?

thanks!

I'm a rising 2L, so we haven't had OCI yet.

If you're an EE, that changes things. You said you want to work for a big GP firm, so bid on some of those. There are some GP firms that do patent prosecution, so be sure to hit those up. Then make sure you cover your bases with IP boutiques that do prosecution.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:23 pm

thoughts on the range of vault/nlj firms i should be targeting? should i even be bothering with oci?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:09 pm

what does "GP" stand for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thoughts on the range of vault/nlj firms i should be targeting? should i even be bothering with oci?

You should definitely bother with OCI. My guess is you'll get something. Most of the EE's I know at NU got 1L SAs even before grades came out.

I'd throw some bids out to bottom-V100 firms with big IP litigation departments in NYC (get this info from the Chambers guide) then spam the IP boutiques in DC.

Did you do Loyola PLIP? People with your grades/schools + EE got a bunch of preselects.

EDIT: This is rayiner, hit anonymous quote by accident.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:56 pm

op here... any thoughts on whether my prospects would be any different/better if i transfer to gulc?

Return to “Legal Employment”