1L- How's it look? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jarndyce

Bronze

1L- How's it look?

Post by Jarndyce » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:38 pm

I do not believe that I have ever seen this topic- if so, please feel free to point me to the right thread.

I am a 1L (getting ready to be 2L), and I am curious how up front employers tend to be with regards to future employment. Let me explain- I have been told from the very beginning of my summer associate position at a big firm that the firm I am working with plans on expanding and was even told by someone high in the firm that this summer's clerks have a job "to lose." I have gotten very strong feedback and I feel like I am a good fit for the office.

All-in-all, the summer seems to be going great. But do firms tend to say that they will likely be expanding if they may not be? Is it common for firms to sound eager about employment opportunities, even if the economy will probably prevent jobs from ever actually developing? Especially as a 1L, is it smart to take everything with a grain of salt? Or if multiple partners say that there will likely be job openings, is that probably the truth? I know that it would vary from firm to firm, but I imagine that there is some consistency throughout.

Matthies

Silver

Re: 1L- How's it look?

Post by Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Jarndyce wrote:I do not believe that I have ever seen this topic- if so, please feel free to point me to the right thread.

I am a 1L (getting ready to be 2L), and I am curious how up front employers tend to be with regards to future employment. Let me explain- I have been told from the very beginning of my summer associate position at a big firm that the firm I am working with plans on expanding and was even told by someone high in the firm that this summer's clerks have a job "to lose." I have gotten very strong feedback and I feel like I am a good fit for the office.

All-in-all, the summer seems to be going great. But do firms tend to say that they will likely be expanding if they may not be? Is it common for firms to sound eager about employment opportunities, even if the economy will probably prevent jobs from ever actually developing? Especially as a 1L, is it smart to take everything with a grain of salt? Or if multiple partners say that there will likely be job openings, is that probably the truth? I know that it would vary from firm to firm, but I imagine that there is some consistency throughout.
Take everything with a grain of salt. But if you have had multiple people tell you they plan to hire, then its likely what they plan on doing. If they are doing that to just string you on then its not a place you would want a job anyway. Do your best this summer, keep in contact with them for 2L and hope for the best (but don't stop also looking for other opportunities until you not only have an after school job but you actually start working at that job).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”