.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Rising 3L- Top 20% at TTT who wants DC

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:23 pm

OP should look at small firms (non-NALP) firms in Northern Va and in the Maryland suburbs of DC. OP should also look at state trial court clerkships in VA and MD.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rising 3L- Top 20% at TTT who wants DC

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:43 pm

vamedic03 wrote:OP should look at small firms (non-NALP) firms in Northern Va and in the Maryland suburbs of DC. OP should also look at state trial court clerkships in VA and MD.


That sounds like really good advice. However, she should really consider doc review. A friend of mine went to a TTT and had to move for his wife's medical residency to a state that is not close to the school (which is fine for it's market, but not national in any way). He's interviewed with a few small firms and is doing contract work now. It's a struggle, but he doesn't seem unhappy or anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 3L- Top 20% at TTT who wants DC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:57 pm

keg411 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:OP should look at small firms (non-NALP) firms in Northern Va and in the Maryland suburbs of DC. OP should also look at state trial court clerkships in VA and MD.


That sounds like really good advice. However, she should really consider doc review. A friend of mine went to a TTT and had to move for his wife's medical residency to a state that is not close to the school (which is fine for it's market, but not national in any way). He's interviewed with a few small firms and is doing contract work now. It's a struggle, but he doesn't seem unhappy or anything.


doc review's a dead-end job

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rising 3L- Top 20% at TTT who wants DC

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:OP should look at small firms (non-NALP) firms in Northern Va and in the Maryland suburbs of DC. OP should also look at state trial court clerkships in VA and MD.


That sounds like really good advice. However, she should really consider doc review. A friend of mine went to a TTT and had to move for his wife's medical residency to a state that is not close to the school (which is fine for it's market, but not national in any way). He's interviewed with a few small firms and is doing contract work now. It's a struggle, but he doesn't seem unhappy or anything.


doc review's a dead-end job


It's a dead-end job, but OP's wife needs to do something. Trying to "move" almost any non-national school law degree away from it's target market is extremely difficult. Obviously she should try small firms and any permanent legal jobs she can outside of DC first, but she may have to settle for contract work. Or she can sit around all day and spend OP's loan $$$.

ETA: Also, why is this anonymous?

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Rising 3L- Top 20% at TTT who wants DC

Postby General Tso » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hi_im_josh wrote:That is simply not true, at least not with the Gtown tax LLM. Feds and biglaw hire LLMs from Gtown. I can't speak for other LLMs, but if you do the tax one, you should be good for a job in DC.


Right...you sound overly optimistic. Firms care about where you got your JD. A tax LLM doesn't make up for a mediocre JD. But, a lot of tax LLMs work for the Big Four rather than law firms. I'm not sure how the Big Four view your JD school though, or if the Big Four are even hiring that much.


OP you should read the forums at Tax Talent if your SO is considering a tax LLM. Apparently hiring for tax lawyers is even worse right now than it is for regular JDs.

Tax is the only worthwhile LLM, but even its value is limited. It probably won't get you biglaw if you don't have the credentials for it independent of the LLM and Big 4 accounting firms pay accountant-like salaries to their tax lawyers (think 65-80k early on).

User avatar
MartianManhunter
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Rising 3L- Top 20% at TTT who wants DC

Postby MartianManhunter » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Tell her to get the Georgetown Tax LLM and apply to Sutherland or another similarly ranked firm with a focus on tax and securities. The real goal, though, is to establish a network at the school and the city once she's here.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Rising 3L- Top 20% at TTT who wants DC

Postby Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:29 pm

shadow. wrote:My fiancée is a rising 3L on a full ride to a well-respected in the region, but still TTT school. School is not in DC region. I am attending GULC in the fall.

Due to the TTT nature of the school, the CSO has no clue about getting jobs in DC. Since I am a 0L, I know nothing about this process, but am trying to help. She has no debt, and went to a T10 UG.

She doesn't want big law (which is probably out of the question anyway). Salary isn't a big deal (due to 0 debt), but she does want something substantive and legal (ie, not doc review). She had local SAs in both her 1L and 2L summers doing litigation work for one defense firm and one plaintiff's firm. Both firms had ~20 attorneys, but they have no connections to DC. She is top 20%, but no journal or moot court.

Here's our plan thus far.

1) Use our T10 UGs alumni network-- send networking emails to attorneys in the DC metro area.
2) Use bar directories to find the TTT alums in the area. There are a few that we've located thus far. Send same networking emails.
3) Apply for federal government jobs at less-prestigious agencies. Question for TLS: when does the hiring process start here and what are the steps that she needs to take?
4) Mail-merge GULCs list of employers that hire 1Ls on the thought that firms that hire 1Ls might have looser hiring requirements. Very little opportunity cost here.
5) ??

We both realize that this is a tough road. Any suggestions/critiques of the plan? What I'm most interested in finding out is the federal government hiring process. I don't know anything, so I would greatly appreciate any links or advice. Any thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks all!


No, none of this. I don't have time to explain how to do it, but the above is how to NOT find a job. Get this book, read it, it will save you tons of wasted time on pointless (yet at the time seeming reasonable) methods of finding a job that don't work but everyone tries them anyway.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031417 ... J5ZJAB708M

Of course this takes EFFORT, which on TLS is kind of lacking when it comes to finding a job. So the correct TLS response is dump her TTT ass and get a t14 girl freind from your new school. Tell her look, you where fine for this one horse town, but I'm prestiguis now, its not me, its you, i deserve better.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Rising 3L- Top 20% at TTT who wants DC

Postby Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Also check with your CSO office and Georgetown's CSO office, most schools have repcrocity agreements, if your school allows GT's grads to use your CSO/job bank then so does GT. If they don't, then they don't, but find out.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.