Working overseas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
clsballer1

Working overseas

Postby clsballer1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Any advice on getting overseas internship from U.S based law firms. What type of grades are needed? etc? I'm looking for stuff in the U.K. Also I am coming from Wisconsin law.

Pearalegal

Re: Working overseas

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Then your username is misleading.

clsballer1

Postby clsballer1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Then your username is misleading.

not really it stands for charlotte latin school made the username way before I even thought of applying to ls.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:09 pm

clsballer1 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Then your username is misleading.

not really it stands for charlotte latin school made the username way before I even thought of applying to ls.

....so why were you on tls???

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:14 pm

clsballer1 wrote:Any advice on getting overseas internship from U.S based law firms. What type of grades are needed? etc? I'm looking for stuff in the U.K. Also I am coming from Wisconsin law.

Good luck. As someone who spent years in the UK, has ties to several London firms, and is going to another Midwest state school, even I've effectively ruled this out as an option. I'd hesitate to say it's impossible (I don't know your background or possible connections) but it's definitely doubtful. Very doubtful.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:15 am

Some firms with big London offices may let you either split the summer or go there for a couple of weeks. If you want to apply just to do the entire summer in London there are not that many firms that I'm aware of that do that, and those that do are (mostly)UK based firms with US practices not US firms with London practices. Also you're gonna need strong ties and great grades. It's doable but extremely hard, from what I've gathered.

Do you actually want to work in London long term or just spend a summer there? Bc just a summer at a firm is not going to be easy.

Also and I have no idea how this will impact law firm hiring, but they just cut the number of non EU foreign workers they allow into the country quite dramatically.

clsballer1

Postby clsballer1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:46 pm

sophie316 wrote:Some firms with big London offices may let you either split the summer or go there for a couple of weeks. If you want to apply just to do the entire summer in London there are not that many firms that I'm aware of that do that, and those that do are (mostly)UK based firms with US practices not US firms with London practices. Also you're gonna need strong ties and great grades. It's doable but extremely hard, from what I've gathered.

Do you actually want to work in London long term or just spend a summer there? Bc just a summer at a firm is not going to be easy.

Also and I have no idea how this will impact law firm hiring, but they just cut the number of non EU foreign workers they allow into the country quite dramatically.

Good to know thanks for the info. Looking for something longterm not just a summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 am

Not to hijack your thread, but: If London offices go to your OCI, and you have superficial ties to London, is it worth it bidding on them? Or should you just stick to American offices?

Return to “Legal Employment”