Bidding on three markets?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bosque

Re: Bidding on three markets?

Postby Bosque » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I bid in 3 markets--San Francisco, Austin, and New Mexico--against the advice of my OCI and am super glad I did it. Got call backs in all 3 places, ended up splitting the summer between firms in two different markets. Just have a good reason for each market and practice how to respond when they ask you where else you're bidding.

New Mexico huh... I wonder if I have met you...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many reaches/targets/"safeties" should we have, percentage-wise, for bids? I am around top 1/3 at MVP but I'm not sure if there are any legitimate safeties ITE. I'm also concerned that a lot of top 20%-ers will bid on more safeties, crowding us lower-ranked people out.

(If it makes any difference at all, I am going to be on secondary journals.)

anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm

PSA: ask your CDO before asking TLS. Quite a few things that have been poasted are wrong....very wrong. I suspect "those who know don't speak, those who speak don't know". And perhaps some poasters are even abusing anon by intentionally poasting misinformation... either way, make sure to talk to your CDO.

Mirrored

Postby Mirrored » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Disagree.

Some CDOs are really terrible when it comes to advising students. A lot of my friends go to law school and his CDO tried to convince him to go public interest his First Summer.

As if that was about to open doors. Really.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Mirrored wrote:Disagree.

Some CDOs are really terrible when it comes to advising students. A lot of my friends go to law school and his CDO tried to convince him to go public interest his First Summer.

I go to law school.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Mirrored wrote:Disagree.

You're a 0L, shut the hell up, you have NO CLUE what you're talking about. Many, many people do public interest their first summer and it can certainly open doors.

And, unlike you, I'm IN law school.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:06 am

I am a rising 2L. I would ask the crazy pigeon lady outside my work for advice on this before I went to the CDO. I have also decided to narrow my bidding to LA/OC/SD, mainly because I have no desire to be anywhere else. This should make things simpler.

Also, I spoke with a hiring partner from a V25 (family friend) re: this, kinda. He was telling me that he likes when people are geographically flexible, in that they are happy with 2-3 offices. Especially when then say they would like to go to the office of his firm that does the most or best of *insert practice area.*

Return to “Legal Employment”