Am I done? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I done?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Long story short - I just finished my first year and I didn't do as well as I would like. My younger brother was sick all last year and I was sad and depressed all the time (thankfully he had his last surgery in April and now he is doing so much better).

I struggled last semester so I only pulled off an A- in Contract and LRW; B+ in Crim and Property, and a C+ in ConL. I really needed to do well this semester because I wanted to boost my first semester grades.

I landed a Federal Clerkship in February in nyc, but because I was so mentally exhausted and I wanted to help my mom with my brother I moved back home and declined the offer. I didn't do moot court or the writing competition. I attend a T2 in NY and I am on a full ride (which I am able to keep because I literally JUST made the cut).

However, I feel miserable because I am going into my 2l year with mediocre grades no journal membership, moot court, or summer 1l internship on my resume. I didn't even register for classes next semester yet, I am just getting over everything.

Should i just forget about law school and pursue other avenues? I feel that I am not going to have a job THAT I LIKE at the end waiting for me?
Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Am I done?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 pm

T2, mediocre grades, no legal experience during 1l summer, no legal ECs.

Yes, that's a catastrophe. Not sure how you can recover from that except for insane networking.

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Long story short - I just finished my first year and I didn't do as well as I would like. My younger brother was sick all last year and I was sad and depressed all the time (thankfully he had his last surgery in April and now he is doing so much better).

I struggled last semester so I only pulled off an A- in Contract and LRW; B+ in Crim and Property, and a C+ in ConL. I really needed to do well this semester because I wanted to boost my first semester grades.

I landed a Federal Clerkship in February in nyc, but because I was so mentally exhausted and I wanted to help my mom with my brother I moved back home and declined the offer. I didn't do moot court or the writing competition. I attend a T2 in NY and I am on a full ride (which I am able to keep because I literally JUST made the cut).

However, I feel miserable because I am going into my 2l year with mediocre grades no journal membership, moot court, or summer 1l internship on my resume. I didn't even register for classes next semester yet, I am just getting over everything.

Should i just forget about law school and pursue other avenues? I feel that I am not going to have a job THAT I LIKE at the end waiting for me?
Thank you!
By "federal clerkship" do you mean "externship" in a district court somewhere in new york?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:52 pm

yes - an internship (not sure if the difference matters - but i think in an externship you get credit- it was not for school credit)

I have other stuff on my resume
I did a federal internship in undergrad and i also interned in the DA's office another summer. If i do go back I would work hard (obviously). The BLSA at my school have a mock trial team I would join, and I would also seek out other activities outside of school (like national journals so I can have a chance at getting my work published).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:55 pm

It is really up to you. I didn't do so well my first year as well - but I got myself together and tried my best second year (still not top 50% though). Now I'm on a journal, publication, moot, have a law clerk job and clerked for a judge. I did nothing over my 1L summer and that obviously didn't hurt me that much.

However, if you are honestly miserable, law school may not be right for you. Is this really what you want to do for the rest of your life? Your happiness and overall emotional stability is the most important. My law school had a third year commit suicide this year and it was a real eye-opener. Nothing is worth that, and definitely not law school.

No one can tell you what to think or do - in the end, you have to decide. Talking to the dean of your law school may help or do what I did when I was seriously thinking of quitting, take a week off to just relax and then go back to the issue with a clear head.

Wishing you all the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eddietx12

New

Post by eddietx12 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:It is really up to you. I didn't do so well my first year as well - but I got myself together and tried my best second year (still not top 50% though). Now I'm on a journal, publication, moot, have a law clerk job and clerked for a judge. I did nothing over my 1L summer and that obviously didn't hurt me that much.

However, if you are honestly miserable, law school may not be right for you. Is this really what you want to do for the rest of your life? Your happiness and overall emotional stability is the most important. My law school had a third year commit suicide this year and it was a real eye-opener. Nothing is worth that, and definitely not law school.

No one can tell you what to think or do - in the end, you have to decide. Talking to the dean of your law school may help or do what I did when I was seriously thinking of quitting, take a week off to just relax and then go back to the issue with a clear head.

Wishing you all the best.
I don't think "is this really what you want to do" and your experience in law school should be looked at, at the same time, because you don't do much in the real world that mimics the process of law school.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:48 am

Did you have a career before LS that you can return to? If so and you can find steady work, then this is probably a smart time to head for the door.

If you have no prior work experience/connections to fall back on, you might as well take advantage of your full ride and finish. ITE, you are unlikely to find satisfactory employment anyway (especially having a wasted a year of LS on your resume). Your better option is probably to wait two more years, and graduate relatively debt-free with a JD. You will need to network like crazy to find a job - so get involved in everything you possibly can.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:02 am

No idea if this is a possibility but could you take a leave of absence for a year? That way you come back next year, get a chance to do write-on/try out for moot court etc, in the meantime get a little extra work experience under your belt. If employers ask why the year off tell them you were having family trouble and wanted to make sure you could give law school your all when you returned.

However, I've heard that employers frown upon years off during law school, so idk.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 am

In terms of legal employment, it sounds like you have very little going for you. What would you even talk about in an interview? You can't really highlight your grades, 1L summer work experience, moot court, or journal experience, and your school is certainly not going to open any doors. Sorry if that is blunt, and someone who knows legal hiring better than I can feel free to correct me, but it sounds like it will take some serious luck for you to get employed. And while your situation at home is certainly unfortunate, I think it could raise some doubt in the minds of employers as to your ability to juggle your work/life balance (especially since that balance is really skewed towards work in the field of law). I know that isn't fair, but it is something to keep in mind.

I'd still say finish since you are on a full ride, but you'd better network your ass off, get into a solid clinic or job during the school year, and cross your fingers.

PS. Sorry to hear about your brother, but glad to hear he is doing better.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 am

read guerilla tactics on getting the legal job of your dreams

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:32 am

Temp agency?

hi_im_josh

New

Post by hi_im_josh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:35 am

Honestly, you were done the day you enrolled at the T2. Try to bump up your grades and aim for a good LLM program (e.g., Gtown tax).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:25 pm

First and foremost, best of luck to your brother, it's good to know he's doing better.

Second, you should try to speak to someone at the school about what your options might be.

Third, don't forget that you have a full ride. If you didn't, then it would probably be best to drop out, but since you are there for free, you won't be coming out with any debt, and there's a lot to be said for that. I would do anything you can do boost your grades over the next 2 years and distinguish yourself. Do externships, clinics, and try to get on the board of some clubs. Network your butt off and work very hard.

You should only do this if it's what you want -- you have a tough uphill climb, so don't do it if your heart isn't in it.

Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Thank you for your responses and well wishes!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:38 am

It would be interesting to follow up with OP and see how things turned out and if he paid any attention to the shit advice he was provided by other users.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:25 am

kellyfrost wrote:It would be interesting to follow up with OP and see how things turned out and if he paid any attention to the shit advice he was provided by other users.
Stop bumping old threads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”