Job.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
deathviaboredom

Job.

Postby deathviaboredom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Last edited by deathviaboredom on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Paralegal job

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Depends upon the practice area. I know the day-to-day for our litigation paralegals is different than our corporate paralegals.

For litigaiton paralegals, they help draft motions/discovery, file pleadings, line up process servers, assist with legal/fact research and manage a good portion of the practical aspects of a lawyer's job.

For example: Lawyer Bob wants to take Plaintiff A's deposition in a neighboring state. The paralegal will 1. ensure that HR/billing has booked Lawyer Bob's plane ticket and hotel; 2. confirm that litigation tech support will set up all of the technical equipment that they will use throughout the deposition a few hours prior to the depo starting in the actual office that will be used; 3. verify that a court reporter from a company favored by Lawyer Bob has been scheduled for the deposition; and 4. provide Lawyer Bob all of the materials he needs - including the numerous documents he intends to use as exhibits throughout the deposition, as well as general case material that Lawyer Bob may just need to reference throughout the deposition - in an organized and labeled format for easy access. A great paralegal will also ensure a few other things that I'm not even thinking of in anticipation of Lawyer Bob needing them over the course of being out of the state.

This paralegal would do this while assisting 4 - 9 other attorneys at the same time, all of whom may or may not actively need assistance for whatever their own attention is focused on.

And, since you're looking to paralegal for a small firm, take out "HR/billing/litigation tech support" from the above and insert "the paralegal."

Being a paralegal will not help you with law school.
Being a paralegal may help you with not being an absolutely horrible first year lawyer. After that first year or two, any advantage being a paralegal had given you probably drops off.
Being a paralegal will give you insight as to what a lawyer actually does which will allow to to determine if you should actually pursue that line of work.

deathviaboredom

Postby deathviaboredom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks.
Last edited by deathviaboredom on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:54 pm

I worked as a corporate paralegal for a year at a big NYC firm before starting law school. It was a good decision, even if the times were tough. It's a good way to get some experience under your belt before starting school, as well as making contacts and just seeing the way the legal industry works. There's a lot of grudge work involved (scanning, copying, filing, document collection, etc.), but I did have the chance to do some substantive work, such as drafting transactional documents and conducting legal research, which I think actually does help, even if it wasn't much. Just being around a firm and lawyers is a way to get going before law school, even in terms of things that may seem simple, like drafting an email and simply communicating with people. This is especially true if this is your first "real" job, like it was for me.

Best of luck on the interview!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:27 pm

deathviaboredom wrote:What sort of things do lawyers/officemanagers/hiringmanagers look for when interviewing potential paralegals?
Exceptionally organized, personable, self-motivated. All three are important, but if I was hiring that would be my order of importance (note: I'm not even close to being in a position to hire anyone so this is just based off of what I have seen in successful paralegals). Any sort of previous secretarial experience would be a plus and should be played up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:38 pm

In addition to all the substantive and grunt work mentioned above, in a smaller firm you'll probably pick up a lot of administrative tasks that are not necessarily related to cases.

As a paralegal in a small firm (7 attorneys), I do everything from research and drafting pleadings and correspondence for case matters, to daily office tasks like making coffee and feeding the fish, to the really stupid things like putting the attorneys' dishes in the dishwasher and replacing rolls of paper towels on the holder because they are all too lazy to do it themselves. Expect to be doing trial prep, and going to the DMV to pay the head partner's car registration, all in the same day!

At small firms, they will likely want someone who works quickly and accurately, is sociable and a general pleasure to have around, who seems like they can handle a whole lot of tasks in different areas with minimal supervision. They'll want someone who does the job so seamlessly that they can't even recall at least 75 percent of what you do on a daily basis, because it happens without a hitch and without questions.

Return to “Legal Employment”