bids --> interviews granted

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ruski
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

bids --> interviews granted

Postby ruski » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:44 pm

so from what i hear most people get to interview with about half of the firms they bid for. but i was wondering how it breaks down. like if someone has 50 bids do they usually get every firm in the top15 and then about half of the rest? i know it depends on how presitigous the firms u choose are and what type u are aiming for, but was just wondering if anyone had any anecdotal evidence.

yellowjacket2012
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:53 pm

At Northwestern, in Fall 2008, people above median had anywhere between 7-11 callbacks as a median.
By that I mean, the set of kids who just broke median had a median of 7 callbacks, whereas the highest tier GPA kids (3.9+) had a median of 11 callbacks. So let's just say the above-median kid at NU got a median of like 8 callbacks this time two years ago, when the overall economy was entering a recession, but I don't think the legal industry was tumbling.

In this economy, lets say they only get half, or a fourth of the number of callbacks as before, so 2-4 callbacks for above-median kids. I'm not sure why I'm picking half, or a fourth, but that's just the margin of safety we can use.

All of them had 50 bids.

I don't really know what % of interviews turn into callbacks - we have no statistics for screening interviews because I gues thats not as relevant as callbacks.

I don't think this information is really a good predictor of anything, but it is something I have from the Northwestern Simplicity webpage. Frankly, I would be doubtful that just bidding high on a firm will secure you a screening interview, it has to match - reasonably - with the firm's hiring criteria, but I could be way-off on this as well.
Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:58 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowjacket2012
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:00 pm

oh no problem. That's how I answer most questions. lol, and I wonder why I don't do well on law school exams.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby sanpiero » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:01 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
yellowjacket2012 wrote:At Northwestern, in Fall 2008, people above median had anywhere between 7-11 callbacks as a median.
By that I mean, the set of kids who just broke median had a median of 7 callbacks, whereas the highest tier GPA kids (3.9+) had a median of 11 callbacks. So let's just say the above-median kid at NU got a median of like 8 callbacks.

In this economy, lets say they only get half the number of callbacks as before, so 4 callbacks.

All of them had 50 bids.

I don't really know what % of interviews turn into callbacks - we have no statistics for screening interviews because I gues thats not as relevant as callbacks.

I don't think this information is really a good predictor of anything, but it is something I have from the Northwestern Simplicity webpage. Frankly, I would be doubtful that just bidding high on a firm will secure you a screening interview, it has to match - reasonably - with the firm's hiring criteria, but I could be way-off on this as well.


Congratulations on completely failing to answer the OP's question.


:roll:

ruski
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby ruski » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:03 pm

i would think for our purposes statistics for screening interviews are much more useful than callback statistics. pple's backgrounds and interviewing skills vary so widely it's hard to say why they received the number of callbacks they did. at least with screenings u can see who had a shot (assuming pple aren't bidding for reach firms).

i was more curious though in seeing which of my 50 bids can i expect to get a screening interview from.

yellowjacket2012
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm

ruski wrote:i would think for our purposes statistics for screening interviews are much more useful than callback statistics. pple's backgrounds and interviewing skills vary so widely it's hard to say why they received the number of callbacks they did. at least with screenings u can see who had a shot (assuming pple aren't bidding for reach firms).

i was more curious though in seeing which of my 50 bids can i expect to get a screening interview from.

My room mates, both 3Ls, at Northwestern - told me that they only got screening niterviews from 5 of their top 10 bids; I don't really know their grades, but one of them is on JCLC which is a pretty selective journal, and the other is TAing for Civ Pro, so he must've done well back then.

I think this question totaly depends on where you go to school, and the upperclassmen and career office at your school are the only real sources of info for this stuff.

yellowjacket2012
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:16 pm

this kinda reminds me of a shot-gun approach to dating, you can ask out a 100 ten's and get a date out of it, or you can ask out 10 two's and get 10 dates. ;)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273397
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:17 pm

At my school, firms are allowed to pre-select. That means that the rank YOU put the firms in is irrelevant - you'll get pre-selected based on your stats. Anecdotes suggest that the top ~10% or so of the class got pre-selects at every firm, and after that there was wide variation. Bigger markets, such as NYC, dug deeper in the class than smaller markets who had fewer slots.

Many schools have lotteries, or partial lotteries. At those schools you are always much more likely to get your first choices than your last choices, but that is heavily weighted by firm popularity. If you put the 10 least popular firms as your bid #s 41-50 you are going to get some screening interviews, if you put the 10 most popular firms as your bid #s 1-10 you likely won't get them all.

Be sure you can see information such as the # of interviews an employer is planning to do prior to bidding.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: bids --> interviews granted

Postby RVP11 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:18 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:
ruski wrote:i would think for our purposes statistics for screening interviews are much more useful than callback statistics. pple's backgrounds and interviewing skills vary so widely it's hard to say why they received the number of callbacks they did. at least with screenings u can see who had a shot (assuming pple aren't bidding for reach firms).

i was more curious though in seeing which of my 50 bids can i expect to get a screening interview from.

My room mates, both 3Ls, at Northwestern - told me that they only got screening niterviews from 5 of their top 10 bids; I don't really know their grades, but one of them is on JCLC which is a pretty selective journal, and the other is TAing for Civ Pro, so he must've done well back then.

I think this question totaly depends on where you go to school, and the upperclassmen and career office at your school are the only real sources of info for this stuff.


If NU uses 100% lottery, of what relevance is your roommate's background? This is what has been confusing about your posts - you've talked about people's qualifications like they matter in a lottery system.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.