which firm good for IP from these?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

which firm good for IP from these?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:56 am

Kirkland & Ellis LLP (New York, NY)
Baker Botts LLP (New York, NY)
Crowell & Moring LLP (New York, NY)
Foley & Lardner LLP (Electronics)
Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP (Palo Alto, CA)
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP (Los Angeles, CA)
Alston & Bird LLP (Firmwide)
Cooley Godward Kronish (Palo Alto, CA)
Baker & Daniels LLP (Firmwide)
Fish & Richardson (Firmwide)
Winston & Strawn (Chicago, IL)
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. (Chicago, IL)
Kirkland & Ellis LLP (Palo Alto, CA)
Kirkland & Ellis LLP (Chicago, IL)
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP (New York, NY)
K&L Gates LLP (Chicago, IL)
Proskauer Rose LLP (Boston, MA)
Kirkland & Ellis LLP (Washington, DC)
Jones Day (Chicago, IL)
Paul Hastings (Palo Alto, CA)
McAndrews, Held and Malloy (Chicago, IL)
Troutman Sanders (Atlanta, GA)

I'm beginning my research into firms to educate myself about them, and hopefully make a good choice in the end. All of the above except Troutman are firms I am interviewing with at the Loyola Patent Fair (in a little over 1 mth).

I am location neutral. I have not bid on any firms other than the ones above (except my no-selected bids @ Ropes, Finnegan, and Covington).

Can you guys identify a few firms that rise to the top as far as a home for patent litigation? I don't want to end up at a place where a non-IP kind of law is the main event, and IP takes kind of a backseat, or a firm where people are in a constant flux. I'd like to be somewhere for a while. I'm not really sure whether Vault rankings, even for IP specialty, are worth much, but I could be wrong.

FYI, BS/MSEE @ t10, very good 1L grades.

dreman510

Re: which firm good for IP from these?

Postby dreman510 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland & Ellis LLP (New York, NY)
Jones Day (Chicago, IL)

I'm beginning my research into firms to educate myself about them, and hopefully make a good choice in the end. All of the above except Troutman are firms I am interviewing with at the Loyola Patent Fair (in a little over 1 mth).

I am location neutral. I have not bid on any firms other than the ones above (except my no-selected bids @ Ropes, Finnegan, Crowell, and Covington).

Can you guys identify a few firms that rise to the top as far as a home for patent litigation? I don't want to end up at a place where a non-IP kind of law is the main event, and IP takes kind of a backseat, or a firm where people are in a constant flux. I'd like to be somewhere for a while. I'm not really sure whether Vault rankings, even for IP specialty, are worth much, but I could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:04 am

related note, can someone comment on the differences between the bay area, NYC, Wash D.C., and Chicago for IP law?

It seems like this is where most of the activity happens, but I'm curious to know whether the type of work is different between these areas. All of the high-tech firms like Google, Apple, etc. are in the Bay Area, whereas the PTO, the Fed. Cir. and the ITC are in Wash. D.C., and NYC and Chicago are just huge legal markets.

Do patent litigators shuttle between home city and Wash D.C. - making DC A favorable location; or are they just bouncing around all over the D. Cts.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:17 am

Jones Day (Chicago, IL)

I am location neutral. I have not bid on any firms other than the ones above (except my no-selected bids @ Ropes, Finnegan, and Covington).

Do your own research.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:20 am

Irell, pretty much the IP lit powerhouse. Morgan Chu is a beast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Jones Day (Chicago, IL)

Do your own research.

This qualifies as research though, does it not? Sure, some web-site with rankings is a fine source, same with all the other commercially packaged information sources, forum users on here seem prety knowledgable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:37 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Talk to actual lawyers, not a bunch of gunner 0/1Ls.

Thanks for your contribution. I look forward to hearing from other posters with something substantive other than spellcheck.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:related note, can someone comment on the differences between the bay area, NYC, Wash D.C., and Chicago for IP law?

It seems like this is where most of the activity happens, but I'm curious to know whether the type of work is different between these areas. All of the high-tech firms like Google, Apple, etc. are in the Bay Area, whereas the PTO, the Fed. Cir. and the ITC are in Wash. D.C., and NYC and Chicago are just huge legal markets.

Do patent litigators shuttle between home city and Wash D.C. - making DC A favorable location; or are they just bouncing around all over the D. Cts.

NYC area has a ton of pharma companies...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:This qualifies as research though, does it not? Sure, some web-site with rankings is a fine source, same with all the other commercially packaged information sources, forum users on here seem prety knowledgable.

knowledgeable enough to spell "pretty knowledgeable."

Talk to actual lawyers, not a bunch of gunner 0/1Ls.[/quote]

Grow a set and stop using the anon feature to hide yourself when attacking other people.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:46 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:06 am

look at Chambers and Partners to get more accurate specialty rankings by region

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:27 am

Assholes abusing the anonymous feature have been outted. Further violations will result in bans.

patentlaw

Postby patentlaw » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:20 am

Jones Day (Chicago, IL)

Of these, the only ones I'm familiar with are:
Kirkland Chicago - Huge IP Lit department, very well regarded
Banner & Witcoff - Good IP lit, but it's small 20-30 attorneys?
Fish & Richardson - Used to be good for IP Lit but there have been all sorts of internal issues that would give me pause about taking a position there.
K&L Gates- Small IP part of a huge firm, not really well known for their IP lit work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:18 am

Fish & Richardson recently gave a ton of their IP litigation cases to other shops. The firm I work for took on a huge book of their work. I would hesitate before going to Fish if all you're interested in is IP.

Also, Kirkland's NY office lost some major IP partners in the last two years, I would look more to Chicago for heavy hitting K&E IP lit or toward the Cali offices for more QOL and IP lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:33 am

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ ... iceArea/34 - this is a fantastic resource to figure out the lay of the land.

Also, someone above bolded BB in NY. BB, in general, is a fantastic IP firm (shameless plug since I'm summering at BB). However, I don't think their NY office has much of it. If you want IP at BB, you need to go to Dallas, Houston, or Palo Alto.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Also, Kirkland's NY office lost some major IP partners in the last two years, I would look more to Chicago for heavy hitting K&E IP lit or toward the Cali offices for more QOL and IP lit.

1) The NY office is still one of the best practices in the city, if not the best. The loss of Desmarais was a huge blow, but their IP bench is still deep. The latest issue of Chambers verifies this, with the NY office still being band 1.

2) It really makes no sense to talk about the IP groups per office. It's a nationwide practice, with many projects spanning multiple offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Search/PracticeArea/34 - this is a fantastic resource to figure out the lay of the land.

Also, someone above bolded BB in NY. BB, in general, is a fantastic IP firm (shameless plug since I'm summering at BB). However, I don't think their NY office has much of it. If you want IP at BB, you need to go to Dallas, Houston, or Palo Alto.

Also summering at BB.

NY IP group is more bio/life sciences. It's actually a decent percentage of the office.

Dallas/Austin/Houston/Palo Alto work on IP matters a lot together. While Dallas is the IP HQ for the firm, the other offices are all very good - and because of how BB IP department staffs cases, it's not as big of a deal which office you are in.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:18 pm

PKSebben wrote:Assholes abusing the anonymous feature have been outted. Further violations will result in bans.

Whoops, didn't realize I hit anonymous. Sorry, didn't mean to.

I will reiterate to the OP, do your own research. Yes, asking a bunch of people their general opinions is ok, but I highly doubt anyone is actually going to look anything up just to help you with your interviews. So if you actually want to be prepared, I not try and shortcut it and do your own research.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Bosque wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Assholes abusing the anonymous feature have been outted. Further violations will result in bans.

I will reiterate to the OP, do your own research. Yes, asking a bunch of people their general opinions is ok, but I highly doubt anyone is actually going to look anything up just to help you with your interviews. So if you actually want to be prepared, I not try and shortcut it and do your own research.

This is actually kinder than my first instinct, which is to tell you all kinds of good things about a firm that doesn't do IP work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:46 pm

Bosque wrote:

I do not understand your logic. I'm not asking people to "look up" these firms and render me free secretarial assistance. I'm plainly asking for people to share any insight they might have about two topics, 1) strong IP offices, 2) difference between cities. It'll save me a LOT of time, sure, but I hesitate to trust outside companies who offer rankings for $ because there are likely conflict of interest issues there.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:46 pm

As Amy mentioned, it'd be a good idea to go through profiles of attorneys in the IP departments of each of those offices. Get a feel for their tech background, type of practice (pros? lit? licensing? etc), and clients.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:30 pm

I spent two years as a paralegal in the SF branch of K&E working on patent litigation prior to LS. IP accounted for the vast majority of the work that came through our SF office while I was there. The Palo Alto office was also IP-heavy but was a significantly smaller outfit than the SF office. Tons of big name clients located right there in the Silicon Valley. Could be another good option for you to look into.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I spent two years as a paralegal in the SF branch of K&E working on patent litigation prior to LS. IP accounted for the vast majority of the work that came through our SF office while I was there. The Palo Alto office was also IP-heavy but was a significantly smaller outfit than the SF office. Tons of big name clients located right there in the Silicon Valley. Could be another good option for you to look into.

Yeah, but it's really hard to localize the IP group in one office. The LA office has Robert Krupka, one of the best IP lawyers in the nation. The NYC office has several hard-hitting partners, as well as a great soft-IP group (taken from OMM). They've been involved in the Shepard Fairey dispute regarding the Obama Hope poster.

Overall, pretty good stuff. The IP group is very impressive and is probably the first place I'd go to if I was looking at firms. Some people like to talk about Weil Gotshal, but the brunt of their strength is in SV, not so much NYC.

quisqueyano

Postby quisqueyano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm

I know someone who is a summer associate at Fish & Richardson and is absolutely loving it. I haven't heard anything about internal struggles, though Fish did seem to have problems a couple years ago, so they've apparently cut back on their summer program. That just means better chances for job offers if you actually get accepted now.

Return to “Legal Employment”