Resume Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lovelaw27

Resume Question

Postby lovelaw27 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:04 pm

I took 2 classes after I received my undergraduate degree. I took those classes at a University that was not the same University that I received my undergraduate degree. I was trying to figure out if I should go to law school or do a master’s degree program. I decided that I wanted to go to law school. How should I put this on my resume?

merichard87

Re: Resume Question

Postby merichard87 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Unless these classes contributed to your career goals or educational plans for law school I wouldn't take up space on the resume with them.

VA LawDog

Postby VA LawDog » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:27 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:I took 2 classes after I received my undergraduate degree. I took those classes at a University that was not the same University that I received my undergraduate degree. I was trying to figure out if I should go to law school or do a master’s degree program. I decided that I wanted to go to law school. How should I put this on my resume?

The law school app will ask for ALL the schools you have attended. You'll still need to furnish all official transcripts to the school.

Even though I took a few classes at school different from where I graduated, I only put the graduating school on my resume. None of the law schools to where I applied complained or cried foul. (and neither did any prospective employers before law school, for that matter)

If you're just graduating and don't have any substantive work experience, put the other school if you want to fill up the resume. Honestly, I don't think it matters.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for both of your input. Not having it on my resume would give me a resume gap. How should I deal with that? That is mainly why I was think of placing the school on my resume.

VA LawDog

Postby VA LawDog » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:40 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:Thanks for both of your input. Not having it on my resume would give me a resume gap. How should I deal with that? That is mainly why I was think of placing the school on my resume.

Honestly, you're applying to law school, not Skadden Arps. Gaps matter to prospective employers.

Since you're really concerned...what did you do in the gap? How long was the gap? If you were working - even something trivial - that would explain it.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:46 pm

VA LawDog wrote:
lovelaw27 wrote:Thanks for both of your input. Not having it on my resume would give me a resume gap. How should I deal with that? That is mainly why I was think of placing the school on my resume.

Honestly, you're applying to law school, not Skadden Arps. Gaps matter to prospective employers.

Since you're really concerned...what did you do in the gap? How long was the gap? If you were working - even something trivial - that would explain it.

I am actually in law school now. I took classes first half of 2009, than studied for the lsat second half of 2009, and then started law school in January 2010.

VA LawDog

Postby VA LawDog » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:53 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:
VA LawDog wrote:

I am actually in law school now. I took classes first half of 2009, than studied for the lsat second half of 2009, and then started law school in January 2010.

Sorry, RC fail.

I wouldn't mention it on the resume, but, in the cover letter, would explain it as testing prep or something like that. Another possibility is to leave off the months, and just use years. It would read: school from XXXX - 2009, then law school from 2010 - XXXX.

Just a thought...

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:02 pm

VA LawDog wrote:
lovelaw27 wrote:
VA LawDog wrote:

Sorry, RC fail.

I wouldn't mention it on the resume, but, in the cover letter, would explain it as testing prep or something like that. Another possibility is to leave off the months, and just use years. It would read: school from XXXX - 2009, then law school from 2010 - XXXX.

Just a thought...

Yeah, I think it is best if I handled it in my cover letter instead of my resume. I haven’t written a cover letter since I have been in law school, but I think that is where you are suppose to tell your story, which would be the best place to talk about what I did in 2009. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Legal Employment”