Bidding Strategy - 3.6 (25%) @ Texas?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bidding Strategy - 3.6 (25%) @ Texas?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:46 am

I guess I'm just on the cusp of being employable @ BIGLAW. Is there a credited way to use lottery picks to maximize chance of success? Texas ties, prestigious 1L internship, 2 years work experience.

Thoughts?

horns12

Re: Bidding Strategy - 3.6 (25%) @ Texas?

Postby horns12 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:37 am

Last edited by horns12 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:50 am

There was at least some lottery last year at UT.

If you're looking to stay in TX, bid on Dallas and/or Houston (Houston may be safest bet). And stick to the bigger places while sprinkling in some smaller firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Trying to keep the UT thread going.

I have a 3.73 [I assume somewhere in the 15%-20% range]. Should I give up the Austin biglaw/midlaw dream? What if I luck my way onto law review?

Person

Postby Person » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to keep the UT thread going.

I have a 3.73 [I assume somewhere in the 15%-20% range]. Should I give up the Austin biglaw/midlaw dream? What if I luck my way onto law review?

No insight, sorry. I guess I am just interested in the state of the legal market in Austin. Is a top 20%-ish performance at Texas even a doubt for biglaw there, let alone midlaw o.O I would have just assumed a lock with those grades anywhere but the most elite firms anywhere in TX.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:43 pm

I
Person wrote:

No insight, sorry. I guess I am just interested in the state of the legal market in Austin. Is a top 20%-ish performance at Texas even a doubt for biglaw there, let alone midlaw o.O I would have just assumed a lock with those grades anywhere but the most elite firms anywhere in TX.

Thanks for replying. Most of the OCI criteria claims to require top 20% to top 33% but the legend I have always heard [from TLS] is top 10% for Austin biglaw. I'm meeting with CSO tomorrow, so hopefully they can set me straight. I'll let you know what I hear.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 pm

It can't hurt to bid on some Austin firms, but jobs in Austin aren't easy to get. If you're interested in IP, it might be a bit easier to get something. Still, even in good times Austin was tough to get, but the economy has probably halved the number of SAs in Austin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:30 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:

It can't hurt to bid on some Austin firms, but jobs in Austin aren't easy to get. If you're interested in IP, it might be a bit easier to get something. Still, even in good times Austin was tough to get, but the economy has probably halved the number of SAs in Austin.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have the IP credentials, but I agree that with 60 bids, throwing a handful at Austin shouldn't hurt. I figure I'll bid at Andrews Kurth, Haynes and Boone, Jackson Walker, and Strasburger, and cross my fingers.

What about Dallas? I think I rather be in Dallas than Houston. Zero connections to either [save for rooting against the Cowboys in consecutive Super Bowls many moons ago]. I appreciate the response.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have the IP credentials, but I agree that with 60 bids, throwing a handful at Austin shouldn't hurt. I figure I'll bid at Andrews Kurth, Haynes and Boone, Jackson Walker, and Strasburger, and cross my fingers.

What about Dallas? I think I rather be in Dallas than Houston. Zero connections to either [save for rooting against the Cowboys in consecutive Super Bowls many moons ago]. I appreciate the response.

I think Houston may have bigger SA classes, which could help, but I'm not sure one will be more difficult than the other.

If you focus on the bigger firms - well, those with bigger SA classes - you should be fine. Stay away from the more elite non-Texas firms (Weil, Jones Day, GDC, etc) as they will probably want higher GPAs. I'd guess you have a chance at BB/VE/FJ/HB/BG/AK, but who knows in this economy.

If you have any specific questions about the bidding process at UT, or anything else, feel free to PM me.

Return to “Legal Employment”