Letters of rec from judges...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
justice4alll

Letters of rec from judges...

Postby justice4alll » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:51 am

Ok, so i am working for a judge during my L1 summer and he appears to be impressed by my work product. Should i take this opportunity to ask him for a letter of rec? Is it even ok for him to write a generic letter of rec that i could use for almost anything or should i wait and only ask him when it is needed so that the letter can be targeted instead of generic?

Anonymous User

Re: Letters of rec from judges...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:33 am

Having the same experience. I am working for a federal judge and he seems to really like my work as well as me, and offered to write letters of rec already. My grades are a bit crappy (which I revealed to him), so is there a way to include a letter for him for OCI?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:40 pm

I've never heard of letters of rec for legal employment. They're called references, and a lot of firms won't even ask for them, or won't call them.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:55 pm

RVP11 wrote:I've never heard of letters of rec for legal employment. They're called references, and a lot of firms won't even ask for them, or won't call them.

True. Which is why you should put them on your resume if they are really good.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:21 pm

You can definitely ask. I received a letter from a judge for clerkship applications. At first I received targeted letters, but when I tipped off his clerk that I would be applying to dozens, he sent me a generic letter that I could copy and send out. Some judges strictly do not write letters for clerkship apps but will call. (Ethics rules may be a little tricky when a federal judge is trying to get somebody a job in the federal government).

If you're not talking about clerkship apps, then you don't usually need rec letters--just ask if you can list the judge as a reference.

Return to “Legal Employment”