Which Firms Use Which Phones? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bosque

Gold

Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Post by Bosque » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:22 pm

I acknowledge that picking a firm based on the type of phone they issue associates would by monumentally dumb. However, I am curious. Does anyone know of a resource listing which firms use which smartphones?

If not, I think we should make a list. It would be interesting if nothing else.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Post by animalcrkrs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Hogan and Hartson= BB
Reed Smith= BB
(see below article)

Not sure who does/doesn't have smartphones for employees at all, but this article http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... the_apple/ makes me think most law firms (like other professional services firms) are sticking with Blackberries--and some even banning iphone use by employees, over security concerns. Even if apple "resolves" the specific security issues, I think it will be years before iphones take over BBs as the smartphone of choice for businesses.

EDIT: ...and not just because AT&T's service coverage blows. :)

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:47 pm

I can't see firms, or any professional organization, moving to iphones or Android phones (though the latter would be more likely than the former).

The reliability of BB's is unmatched. Heck even the new iphone is having problems due to a poor design: http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple- ... holding-th

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Can I indulge in a moment of honesty here? (And please understand I mean this in the nicest possible way). This might be the most inexcusably idiotic thread running on tls.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Oh I don't know...seems a LITTLE more relevant to pop up on the main page than the 'top this picture' thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=121362 which I admit is humorous but should be moved immediately to the lounge forum.

Also, having worked at a place that provided/paid for BBs and support for them and one that didn't but still expected you to be available at all times (read: buy your own BB and pay for the data service) it can make a difference. If a firm supports and provides them, they replace lost/stolen ones at no charge and they are responsible for the security of the materials over the server etc. That said my guess would be most mid-large sized firms will provide them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:11 pm

doyleoil wrote:Can I indulge in a moment of honesty here? (And please understand I mean this in the nicest possible way). This might be the most inexcusably idiotic thread running on tls.
Oh hush. :mrgreen: Smart phones are something rather relevant to legal employment. You are going to become intimately acquainted with one, you might as well know what you are getting into.

I understand why a lot of firms stick with the BlackBerry. Makes sense. But I know all the attorneys at my firm are aching for the IT folks to let them use Droids as an option.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Clearly bidding on a firm based on what cell phone they use is a great plan. Be sure to mention that when the firm interviewer asks you why you want to work for that firm. :lol:

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:12 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Clearly bidding on a firm based on what cell phone they use is a great plan. Be sure to mention that when the firm interviewer asks you why you want to work for that firm. :lol:
Yah, not planning on using this during bidding. Just curious.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Bosque wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Clearly bidding on a firm based on what cell phone they use is a great plan. Be sure to mention that when the firm interviewer asks you why you want to work for that firm. :lol:
Yah, not planning on using this during bidding. Just curious.
I think there's a Vault column on this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:I can't see firms, or any professional organization, moving to iphones or Android phones (though the latter would be more likely than the former).

The reliability of BB's is unmatched. Heck even the new iphone is having problems due to a poor design: http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple- ... holding-th
The place I'm working for this summer uses iPhones, and they're big-league. Not a firm though, so less conservative.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Every NYC Firm I have seen uses BB....some (very few) allow Iphones, but i dont think any provide iphones. Know in saying this i am sure there is some trendy firm that does, just not one I have seen.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:46 pm

Skadden: Choice of iPhone or Blackberry
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom wrote: The firm provides a Blackberry or Apple iPhone and up to $1,850 to attorneys for the purchase of technology equipment at the commencement of employment. After three years of service, the firm provides additional allowances for the purchase of approved technology equipment.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Although off the topic of phones, I do know that Chapman & Cutler acknowledges that they use Mac products in their recruiting pitch.

The firm that I am working at this summer does not actually reimburse for cellular phones. They have cut out all frills. However, they also happen to be the most profitable firm by partner in the midwest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:18 pm

dla piper:

--ImageRemoved--

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:DLA Piper:

--ImageRemoved--
get used to it now.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:26 pm

miamiman wrote:
get used to it now.
No dude, the DLA East St. Louis branch uses these:

--ImageRemoved--

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:27 pm

hahaha your talent with memes is without comparison

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:02 am

--ImageRemoved--
LOL. fucking cancer phone. sounds about right.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:15 am

Great job so far everyone.
chadwick218 wrote:Although off the topic of phones, I do know that Chapman & Cutler acknowledges that they use Mac products in their recruiting pitch.

The firm that I am working at this summer does not actually reimburse for cellular phones. They have cut out all frills. However, they also happen to be the most profitable firm by partner in the midwest.
Hmm... while we are on the greater subject, I wonder which other firms use Mac instead of PCs. To the internet!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:17 am

Bosque wrote:Great job so far everyone.
chadwick218 wrote:Although off the topic of phones, I do know that Chapman & Cutler acknowledges that they use Mac products in their recruiting pitch.

Hmm... while we are on the greater subject, I wonder which other firms use Mac instead of PCs. To the internet!
My managing partner has been taking his fucking ipad with him everywhere. Ridiculous old wasps.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:22 am

I'd imagine the BB's functionality is why more firms use it. Apple has yet to come up with an instant messaging system for the iPhone. Blackberry Messenger is pretty ace. It's better than texting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:25 am

mpasi wrote:I'd imagine the BB's functionality is why more firms use it. Apple has yet to come up with an instant messaging system for the iPhone. Blackberry Messenger is pretty ace.
Securing Outlook sync on iphone and android is apparently harder than on BBs, iphones being easier than androids. I can't imagine firms encouraging lawyers to use BBM, though, unless it backs up and syncs with their servers as well.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote: My managing partner has been taking his fucking ipad with him everywhere. Ridiculous old wasps.
Good thing you are posting anon.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mpasi wrote:I'd imagine the BB's functionality is why more firms use it. Apple has yet to come up with an instant messaging system for the iPhone. Blackberry Messenger is pretty ace.
Securing Outlook sync on iphone and android is apparently harder than on BBs, iphones being easier than androids. I can't imagine firms encouraging lawyers to use BBM, though, unless it backs up and syncs with their servers as well.

BBM backs itself up. And syncing Outlook e-mail on a Blackberry is as simple as filling in your login information. BB's Desktop Manager syncs the calendar with the click of a button. Nothing hard about that. Unless I misunderstood what you meant? iPhones are horrid for business use. A lot of Apple fans tout their superiority, but it really comes down to individual needs. Personally, I think the iPhone sucks, and I'm a Mac user.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 am

mpasi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It does. And syncing Outlook e-mail on a Blackberry is as simple as filling in your login information. BB's Desktop Manager syncs the calendar with the click of a button. Nothing hard about that.
oh, I know you can sync, but most firms employ extra layers of security crap for emails. or at least mine does.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”