Which Firms Use Which Phones?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Bosque » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:22 pm

I acknowledge that picking a firm based on the type of phone they issue associates would by monumentally dumb. However, I am curious. Does anyone know of a resource listing which firms use which smartphones?

If not, I think we should make a list. It would be interesting if nothing else.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby animalcrkrs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Hogan and Hartson= BB
Reed Smith= BB
(see below article)

Not sure who does/doesn't have smartphones for employees at all, but this article http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... the_apple/ makes me think most law firms (like other professional services firms) are sticking with Blackberries--and some even banning iphone use by employees, over security concerns. Even if apple "resolves" the specific security issues, I think it will be years before iphones take over BBs as the smartphone of choice for businesses.

EDIT: ...and not just because AT&T's service coverage blows. :)

PoliticalJunkie
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:47 pm

I can't see firms, or any professional organization, moving to iphones or Android phones (though the latter would be more likely than the former).

The reliability of BB's is unmatched. Heck even the new iphone is having problems due to a poor design: http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple- ... holding-th

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Can I indulge in a moment of honesty here? (And please understand I mean this in the nicest possible way). This might be the most inexcusably idiotic thread running on tls.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby animalcrkrs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Oh I don't know...seems a LITTLE more relevant to pop up on the main page than the 'top this picture' thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121362 which I admit is humorous but should be moved immediately to the lounge forum.

Also, having worked at a place that provided/paid for BBs and support for them and one that didn't but still expected you to be available at all times (read: buy your own BB and pay for the data service) it can make a difference. If a firm supports and provides them, they replace lost/stolen ones at no charge and they are responsible for the security of the materials over the server etc. That said my guess would be most mid-large sized firms will provide them.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Bosque » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:11 pm

doyleoil wrote:Can I indulge in a moment of honesty here? (And please understand I mean this in the nicest possible way). This might be the most inexcusably idiotic thread running on tls.


Oh hush. :mrgreen: Smart phones are something rather relevant to legal employment. You are going to become intimately acquainted with one, you might as well know what you are getting into.

I understand why a lot of firms stick with the BlackBerry. Makes sense. But I know all the attorneys at my firm are aching for the IT folks to let them use Droids as an option.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Clearly bidding on a firm based on what cell phone they use is a great plan. Be sure to mention that when the firm interviewer asks you why you want to work for that firm. :lol:

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Bosque » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:12 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Clearly bidding on a firm based on what cell phone they use is a great plan. Be sure to mention that when the firm interviewer asks you why you want to work for that firm. :lol:


Yah, not planning on using this during bidding. Just curious.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Bosque wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Clearly bidding on a firm based on what cell phone they use is a great plan. Be sure to mention that when the firm interviewer asks you why you want to work for that firm. :lol:


Yah, not planning on using this during bidding. Just curious.

I think there's a Vault column on this.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:I can't see firms, or any professional organization, moving to iphones or Android phones (though the latter would be more likely than the former).

The reliability of BB's is unmatched. Heck even the new iphone is having problems due to a poor design: http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple- ... holding-th

The place I'm working for this summer uses iPhones, and they're big-league. Not a firm though, so less conservative.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby underachiever » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Every NYC Firm I have seen uses BB....some (very few) allow Iphones, but i dont think any provide iphones. Know in saying this i am sure there is some trendy firm that does, just not one I have seen.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:46 pm

Skadden: Choice of iPhone or Blackberry

Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom wrote: The firm provides a Blackberry or Apple iPhone and up to $1,850 to attorneys for the purchase of technology equipment at the commencement of employment. After three years of service, the firm provides additional allowances for the purchase of approved technology equipment.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Although off the topic of phones, I do know that Chapman & Cutler acknowledges that they use Mac products in their recruiting pitch.

The firm that I am working at this summer does not actually reimburse for cellular phones. They have cut out all frills. However, they also happen to be the most profitable firm by partner in the midwest.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:18 pm

DLA Piper:



--ImageRemoved--

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:DLA Piper:



--ImageRemoved--


get used to it now.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:26 pm

miamiman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:DLA Piper:


get used to it now.


No dude, the DLA East St. Louis branch uses these:


--ImageRemoved--

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:27 pm

hahaha your talent with memes is without comparison

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:02 am

romothesavior wrote:DLA Piper:



--ImageRemoved--


LOL. fucking cancer phone. sounds about right.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Bosque » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:15 am

Great job so far everyone.

chadwick218 wrote:Although off the topic of phones, I do know that Chapman & Cutler acknowledges that they use Mac products in their recruiting pitch.

The firm that I am working at this summer does not actually reimburse for cellular phones. They have cut out all frills. However, they also happen to be the most profitable firm by partner in the midwest.


Hmm... while we are on the greater subject, I wonder which other firms use Mac instead of PCs. To the internet!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:17 am

Bosque wrote:Great job so far everyone.

chadwick218 wrote:Although off the topic of phones, I do know that Chapman & Cutler acknowledges that they use Mac products in their recruiting pitch.

The firm that I am working at this summer does not actually reimburse for cellular phones. They have cut out all frills. However, they also happen to be the most profitable firm by partner in the midwest.


Hmm... while we are on the greater subject, I wonder which other firms use Mac instead of PCs. To the internet!

My managing partner has been taking his fucking ipad with him everywhere. Ridiculous old wasps.

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby mpasi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:22 am

I'd imagine the BB's functionality is why more firms use it. Apple has yet to come up with an instant messaging system for the iPhone. Blackberry Messenger is pretty ace. It's better than texting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:25 am

mpasi wrote:I'd imagine the BB's functionality is why more firms use it. Apple has yet to come up with an instant messaging system for the iPhone. Blackberry Messenger is pretty ace.

Securing Outlook sync on iphone and android is apparently harder than on BBs, iphones being easier than androids. I can't imagine firms encouraging lawyers to use BBM, though, unless it backs up and syncs with their servers as well.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:My managing partner has been taking his fucking ipad with him everywhere. Ridiculous old wasps.


Good thing you are posting anon.

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby mpasi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mpasi wrote:I'd imagine the BB's functionality is why more firms use it. Apple has yet to come up with an instant messaging system for the iPhone. Blackberry Messenger is pretty ace.

Securing Outlook sync on iphone and android is apparently harder than on BBs, iphones being easier than androids. I can't imagine firms encouraging lawyers to use BBM, though, unless it backs up and syncs with their servers as well.



BBM backs itself up. And syncing Outlook e-mail on a Blackberry is as simple as filling in your login information. BB's Desktop Manager syncs the calendar with the click of a button. Nothing hard about that. Unless I misunderstood what you meant? iPhones are horrid for business use. A lot of Apple fans tout their superiority, but it really comes down to individual needs. Personally, I think the iPhone sucks, and I'm a Mac user.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 am

mpasi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mpasi wrote:I'd imagine the BB's functionality is why more firms use it. Apple has yet to come up with an instant messaging system for the iPhone. Blackberry Messenger is pretty ace.

Securing Outlook sync on iphone and android is apparently harder than on BBs, iphones being easier than androids. I can't imagine firms encouraging lawyers to use BBM, though, unless it backs up and syncs with their servers as well.



It does. And syncing Outlook e-mail on a Blackberry is as simple as filling in your login information. BB's Desktop Manager syncs the calendar with the click of a button. Nothing hard about that.

oh, I know you can sync, but most firms employ extra layers of security crap for emails. or at least mine does.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.