Top 2%, T2, Law Review

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mcastig4

Top 2%, T2, Law Review

Postby mcastig4 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi everyone, sorry for jumping on the "where to bid bandwagon" but I am honestly unsure of what firms to bid on and career services is utterly useless.

I got to Brooklyn, am in the top 2%, have graded onto law review, and currently am interning for an NYC federal judge.

Could anybody give me any ideas regarding bidding? What firms are reaches, ballparks, safeties etc. My guess is everything is difficult coming out of Brooklyn but being at the top of the class has to help quite a bit. Also, I am trying to transfer to Columbia/NYU. If I am fortunate enough to get into either one of these schools, should my bidding strategy change?

reverendt

Re: Top 2%, T2, Law Review

Postby reverendt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:04 pm

Congrats!
Top 2% at Brooklyn...I would think any firm that doesn't have a strict T14 only policy should be a target.
As far as transferring... it's up to you but I think you might be better off staying put unless you want federal clerkships or academia.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:34 pm

do you have a scholarship?

mcastig4

Postby mcastig4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:06 am

BunkMoreland wrote:do you have a scholarship?

yes, 1/2. Though I have extremely generous parents so I most likely will not be in debt regardless, scholarship or not.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 am

Is Brooklyn limiting your bids? I'd think you'd be able to bid everywhere. How many firms are even coming this year?

mcastig4

Postby mcastig4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 am

blsingindisguise wrote:Is Brooklyn limiting your bids? I'd think you'd be able to bid everywhere. How many firms are even coming this year?

Actually no, bidding is unlimited, I overlooked that information in our OCI material, so that's helpful. Thanks for giving me a heads up. Regarding the amount of firms, looks like a little less than 50. Anybody know what a standard amount is?
Last edited by mcastig4 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:13 am

mcastig4 wrote:
Actually no bidding is unlimited, I overlooked that information in our OCI material, so that's helpful. Thanks for giving me a heads up. Regarding the amount of firms, looks like a little less than 50. Anybody know what a standard amount is?

That's pretty bad. Last year I think it was around 80 and that was a huge drop from the year before.

mcastig4

Postby mcastig4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mcastig4 wrote:
Actually no bidding is unlimited, I overlooked that information in our OCI material, so that's helpful. Thanks for giving me a heads up. Regarding the amount of firms, looks like a little less than 50. Anybody know what a standard amount is?

That's pretty bad. Last year I think it was around 80 and that was a huge drop from the year before.

yikes.

So now that I have found out about unlimited bidding at Brooklyn; assuming I transfer to either CLS or NYU and have limited bids, what firms would be appropriate to take shot at?

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:07 pm

mcastig4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mcastig4 wrote:

yikes.

So now that I have found out about unlimited bidding at Brooklyn; assuming I transfer to either CLS or NYU and have limited bids, what firms would be appropriate to take shot at?

Do you want to practice in NY?

mcastig4

Postby mcastig4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:24 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Do you want to practice in NY?

Yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Cahill always takes a few of the top kids at Brooklyn, so it might be a good choice to bid on either way. They're only a V60-ish, but they pay market and the c/o '10 ('09 SA's) received an e-mail to confirm that they will be starting in January (and some could be starting earlier).

mcastig4

Postby mcastig4 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:14 pm

So I am bumping this thread because I was recently accepted into Columbia. Does anyone have any information on how transfer students from schools ranked near Brooklyn (60s-70s) fair at Columbia's OCI?

I spoke with the Judge who I am currently working for and he was unsure whether it would be helpful to transfer at all. He intimated that it might possible detract from my success at OCI because he was unsure how the associates that interview there (generally Columbia grads) would view me since I have yet to receive any grades at all from Columbia. I would just like other people's thoughts on this if you have any information (anecdotal or otherwise), thoughts opinions, etc.

Also, generally as a top student from Brooklyn, what level of firms should I be bidding on. I will contact career services about this and hopefully get more help, but I was just hoping I could get a general idea of what I should be shooting for.

Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”