Rounding GPA on resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danteshek

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know the etiquette for this?
I'm a rising 3L with a 3.325
Can/should I round this to a 3.33 or should I put the whole thing?

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???
Depends on your school. Our school has a policy that bans rounding up. For example, a GPA of 3.549 can only be reported as 3, 3.5, 3.54, or 3.549.

Same here.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Good luck in law school, 0L.

Burn! Man, I have no clue what I am doing cause I am a 0L. I'll admit, my response was a little douchie, but you pretty much deserved it.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???

This is a very tempting idea. Imagine graduating with a 2.99. Wow, I feel sorry for whoever graduates with a 2.99 in this market. The 3.0 kid is in the 3.x "group," whereas the 2.99 kid looks like something went wrong.

There's a reason they sell groceries for .99, human beings are suckers for marketing - and that applies equally to employers and admissions officers. I do not know what I would do, I'd probably NOT disclose my GPA if I had a 2.99 unless I was required do.

Most people on here are going to say no, and I'll join with that group, don't do it, sorry about your situation. I got really lucky with my law school GPA and it "just" trickled over a threshold that I was hoping it would trickle over. :-/

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a similar question. For class rank on my resume I wrote Top 20%. However, when you do the math, I'm actually at 20.61%. Is that highly unethical? I wouldn't want to write Top 21%, and dropping it down to Top 25% kind of sucks.

I'm sorry that the decimal system has been so brutal to you, lol.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a similar question. For class rank on my resume I wrote Top 20%. However, when you do the math, I'm actually at 20.61%. Is that highly unethical? I wouldn't want to write Top 21%, and dropping it down to Top 25% kind of sucks.

I would say that's unethical. You are not in the top 20%. Write your actual rank if the school gives it to you.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:09 am

GPA to 100th's unless the school specifically tells you something else. I don't think I've ever seen 1000th's. And EVERYONE has GPA's that go out to 1000th's. No one lists them on a resume. It's not unethical unless your rounding deviates from traditional rules of math i.e. making 3.321 = 3.33.

Never round class rank. The reason for this being strongly disapproved of is that you're not actually "just" missing Top 20%. Grades don't break that way and a lot of people in that band will have the same or even greater GPA.

And no GPA/rank on resume when you go to a school that has them = bad GPA/rank.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:16 am

Unethical to round to the hundredths on a resume? Are you fucking kidding me? Let's say OP rounds to 3.3. This means that the GPA he represents on his resume is .005 higher than it actually is. Does this microscopic change make a difference to anyone, anywhere? Maybe. But if a firm is going to renege an offer or reject an application because I rounded to the hundredths, the firm is not for me. I suspect most will do neither. Unethical to round to the hundredths on a GPA? Give me a break.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:00 am

sanpiero wrote:Unethical to round to the hundredths on a resume? Are you fucking kidding me? Let's say OP rounds to 3.3. This means that the GPA he represents on his resume is .005 higher than it actually is. Does this microscopic change make a difference to anyone, anywhere? Maybe. But if a firm is going to renege an offer or reject an application because I rounded to the hundredths, the firm is not for me. I suspect most will do neither. Unethical to round to the hundredths on a GPA? Give me a break.

Haha... this would have helped me out yesterday. Totally agree.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:21 am

CG614 wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Unethical to round to the hundredths on a resume? Are you fucking kidding me? Let's say OP rounds to 3.3. This means that the GPA he represents on his resume is .005 higher than it actually is. Does this microscopic change make a difference to anyone, anywhere? Maybe. But if a firm is going to renege an offer or reject an application because I rounded to the hundredths, the firm is not for me. I suspect most will do neither. Unethical to round to the hundredths on a GPA? Give me a break.

While I agree with both of you, I can't blame the OP for asking or other posters for disagreeing with us. Law schools, legal employers, and state bar associations are sticklers about things that most lay persons would deem meaningless. This is especially true when it comes to fully candid disclosures and representations.

Anecdotal example: I know a recent grad who was delayed admission to a certain state's bar because he didn't disclose, on his law school and bar application, a citation for fishing without a license. It was a $75 fine. He wasn't trying to run a commercial operation; he was 15 and casted into a lake at the wrong time. He just fucking forgot about it.

So with stories like these circulating, erring on the side of caution probably doesn't deserve a "give me a break" response.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:45 pm

seespotrun wrote:
CG614 wrote:

While I agree with both of you, I can't blame the OP for asking or other posters for disagreeing with us. Law schools, legal employers, and state bar associations are sticklers about things that most lay persons would deem meaningless. This is especially true when it comes to fully candid disclosures and representations.

Anecdotal example: I know a recent grad who was delayed admission to a certain state's bar because he didn't disclose, on his law school and bar application, a citation for fishing without a license. It was a $75 fine. He wasn't trying to run a commercial operation; he was 15 and casted into a lake at the wrong time. He just fucking forgot about it.

So with stories like these circulating, erring on the side of caution probably doesn't deserve a "give me a break" response.

Give me a break.

:wink:

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Maybe, but OP is reasonable for asking. My school doesn't allow rounding up for GPA's on resumes, only rounding down. So a 3.339 can be a 3.339 or a 3.33, but not a 3.34.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:58 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:

This is a very tempting idea. Imagine graduating with a 2.99. Wow, I feel sorry for whoever graduates with a 2.99 in this market. The 3.0 kid is in the 3.x "group," whereas the 2.99 kid looks like something went wrong.

There's a reason they sell groceries for .99, human beings are suckers for marketing - and that applies equally to employers and admissions officers. I do not know what I would do, I'd probably NOT disclose my GPA if I had a 2.99 unless I was required do.

Most people on here are going to say no, and I'll join with that group, don't do it, sorry about your situation. I got really lucky with my law school GPA and it "just" trickled over a threshold that I was hoping it would trickle over. :-/

I think the difference is that a 2.99 should not be a 3.0 but a 2.989 could be a 2.99. So could a 3.959 be a 3.96? I guess it depends on the universities' individual policies.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:40 pm

ITT law sudents can't do math.

Your school likely has a rounding convention. Eg: NU is 2-decimal places, truncated. Eg: 3.887 = 3.88. This is because the registrar is full of liberal arts majors who can't do math, but it is what it is so don't fight it.

If your school has no rounding policy, you should round to hundreths, properly. Ie: [.1, .4] down, [.6, .9] up, .5 up or down depending on the evenness of the next digit. Eg. 3.545 = 3.55, 3.555 = 3.55.

altoidz

Postby altoidz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:43 pm

rayiner wrote:
If your school has no rounding policy, you should round to hundreths, properly. Ie: [.1, .4] down, [.6, .9] up, .5 up or down depending on the evenness of the next digit. Eg. 3.545 = 3.55, 3.555 = 3.55.

theyre not going to understand what brackets mean!!
SCV READY!!!!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:53 pm

altoidz wrote:
rayiner wrote:

theyre not going to understand what brackets mean!!
SCV READY!!!!

Raynor here!

altoidz

Postby altoidz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:00 pm

rayiner wrote:Raynor here!

woohoo! overtime!!

UFstudent

Postby UFstudent » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:14 pm

I needed a 3.75 gpa for a government job. I had a 3.749 and I didn't qualify. Darn them!

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:16 pm

altoidz wrote:
rayiner wrote:Raynor here!

woohoo! overtime!!

You must construct additional pylons

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:20 pm

PKSebben wrote:
altoidz wrote: