Rounding GPA on resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Anybody know the etiquette for this?
I'm a rising 3L with a 3.325
Can/should I round this to a 3.33 or should I put the whole thing?

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know the etiquette for this?
I'm a rising 3L with a 3.325
Can/should I round this to a 3.33 or should I put the whole thing?

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???


Do not round - that would be a serious ethical breach at my school. (forthcoming)

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby CG614 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know the etiquette for this?
I'm a rising 3L with a 3.325
Can/should I round this to a 3.33 or should I put the whole thing?

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???


It is generally acceptable to round to the hundredths place. LSAC does, I don't see why you can't.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby CG614 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Also, why is this anonymous? You can easily ask this question without putting your real GPA.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:03 pm

CG614 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know the etiquette for this?
I'm a rising 3L with a 3.325
Can/should I round this to a 3.33 or should I put the whole thing?

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???


It is generally acceptable to round to the hundredths place. LSAC does, I don't see why you can't.


You are misrepresenting your academic performance. Ask your career services office.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:04 pm

Do not round - that would be a serious ethical breach at my school. (forthcoming)


Usually the school will have a standard place to round to. For may GPAs, you have to round. I mean, what if you had a 3.33333333- repeating?

Most are OK with hundredths.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby CG614 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Danteshek wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know the etiquette for this?
I'm a rising 3L with a 3.325
Can/should I round this to a 3.33 or should I put the whole thing?

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???


It is generally acceptable to round to the hundredths place. LSAC does, I don't see why you can't.


You are misrepresenting your academic performance. Ask your career services office.

By rounding to the hundredths place? Get a grip.

Edit to add. You should make sure your school doesn't have a policy about rounding. But it is generally acceptable to round to the hundredths place, in the corporate world.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:09 pm

CG614 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know the etiquette for this?
I'm a rising 3L with a 3.325
Can/should I round this to a 3.33 or should I put the whole thing?

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???


It is generally acceptable to round to the hundredths place. LSAC does, I don't see why you can't.


You are misrepresenting your academic performance. Ask your career services office.

By rounding to the hundredths place? Get a grip.


This guy wants to be a lawyer. If you don't see how this is unethical, maybe you should drop out and go to business school instead.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby CG614 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Duke Law tells you to round to hundredths.

http://www.law.duke.edu/career/profdev/resume

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby CG614 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Danteshek wrote:This guy wants to be a lawyer. If you don't see how this is unethical, maybe you should drop out and go to business school instead.


Look, you are wrong. If your school has a policy against this, then don't do it. Most don't, in fact some tell you to round to the hundredths.
Last edited by CG614 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks all!
My school doesn't seem to have a specific policy for this, but a google search showed the majority of schools say NOT to round up. (A few do say otherwise).

Therefore I think the the prudent thing to do is simply put 3.325

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby CG614 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks all!
My school doesn't seem to have a specific policy for this, but a google search showed the majority of schools say NOT to round up. (A few do say otherwise).

Therefore I think the the prudent thing to do is simply put 3.325


Personally, I'd go with Duke's policy, they have 100% employment at graduation. :lol:

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby cinefile 17 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:35 pm

I would just put 3.3

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby AppsAbound » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Not claiming to have the right answer. But if you are going to round, do not do it so you have given yourself more credit than you have earned. As a rounding rule, round up or down given which is closer. .2, .3, .4, and .5 should be rounded down.

An increase of .0075 would require at least one of your grades being changed. That could be considered a misrepresentation.

For a resume though, I wouldn't round at all.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby CG614 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 pm

AppsAbound wrote:Not claiming to have the right answer. But if you are going to round, do not do it so you have given yourself more credit than you have earned. As a rounding rule, round up or down given which is closer. .2, .3, .4, and .5 should be rounded down.

An increase of .0075 would require at least one of your grades being changed. That could be considered a misrepresentation.

For a resume though, I wouldn't round at all.

This answer makes no sense and I award you no points...

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:43 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:I would just put 3.3

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby ze2151 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

3.3 is what i'd do. I drop the hundredths place for my resume, and I don't see the big deal. Can't imagine I'd lose a job b/c my gpa is 3.8 and not 3.83.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Wait, why are people putting their LS GPAs on their resumes at all? Isn't that what transcripts are for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:52 pm

I have a similar question. For class rank on my resume I wrote Top 20%. However, when you do the math, I'm actually at 20.61%. Is that highly unethical? I wouldn't want to write Top 21%, and dropping it down to Top 25% kind of sucks.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Wait, why are people putting their LS GPAs on their resumes at all? Isn't that what transcripts are for?


At at GULC, most firms will immediately assume you are sub 3.0 because career services advises you to only drop the GPA of the resume if it sub 3.0.

For class rank on my resume I wrote Top 20%. However, when you do the math, I'm actually at 20.61%. Is that highly unethical? I wouldn't want to write Top 21%, and dropping it down to Top 25% kind of sucks.


Why not just put your exact class rank and let them do the math?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:03 pm

nealric wrote:
Wait, why are people putting their LS GPAs on their resumes at all? Isn't that what transcripts are for?


At at GULC, most firms will immediately assume you are sub 3.0 because career services advises you to only drop the GPA of the resume if it sub 3.0.


But isn't your transcript, for OCI, automatically available on Symplicity?

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 pm

But isn't your transcript, for OCI, automatically available on Symplicity?


Sure, but you don't want to make the interviewer do any extra work (s)he may not have necessarily printed it out beforehand.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:27 pm

CG614 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:This guy wants to be a lawyer. If you don't see how this is unethical, maybe you should drop out and go to business school instead.


Says the guy at Southwestern. Look, you are wrong. If your school has a policy against this, then don't do it. Most don't, in fact some tell you to round to the hundredths.


Good luck in law school, 0L.
Last edited by Danteshek on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby AppsAbound » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:28 pm

CG614 wrote:
AppsAbound wrote:Not claiming to have the right answer. But if you are going to round, do not do it so you have given yourself more credit than you have earned. As a rounding rule, round up or down given which is closer. .2, .3, .4, and .5 should be rounded down.

An increase of .0075 would require at least one of your grades being changed. That could be considered a misrepresentation.


For a resume though, I wouldn't round at all.

This answer makes no sense and I award you no points...


Ha. It's almost 5 so I really don't care about points. I've edited to my own response to clarify.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rounding GPA on resume

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know the etiquette for this?
I'm a rising 3L with a 3.325
Can/should I round this to a 3.33 or should I put the whole thing?

Also, anybody know the proper way to include a student note that is going to be published (but is not published yet)???
Depends on your school. Our school has a policy that bans rounding up. For example, a GPA of 3.549 can only be reported as 3, 3.5, 3.54, or 3.549.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.